Newbie Piper here

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanHandler

Reaction score
Hello all

Just wandering around and stumbled across this site. I started smoking pipes a few years ago. Well, life happens and I ended up changing jobs and moving to another state. Pipes went into storage and there they stayed until about a year ago. I dusted them off, cleaned them up and ordered a bunch of tobaccos. I was pretty lost the first time I tried piping and was fumbling around with different tobaccos but the worst part was my horrific techniques. Puffing away like mad, burnt tobacco, tongue etc. You get the point. I did absolutely love Frog Morton but you couldn’t burn your tongue on that if you lit it with a blowtorch. That’s when I discovered I’m addicted to Latakia blends.

After much trial and error I finally discovered some really good tobaccos and also learned to slow the heck down and really savor the incredible taste of pipe tobacco. I’m in a Latakia/Oriental/English stage for now. Having OK luck with Burley but terrible luck with Va and Va/Pers. I’m probably the only one on earth that doesn’t like Escudo... stale unfiltered Pall Mall cigarette found in an old coat pocket. Going to save it of course and come back to it as my tastes develop. I do like some aromatics but slowly moving away from them.

Anyway, glad to be here and looking forward to the continued learning experience.

Welcome to BoB! Have fun with your experimenting, and just remember your tastes may change. There are a number of 'great' blends I think are so-so, and the same is true of every else to some degree

"T"

Welcome aboard PanHandler. I suspect in the future you will like Escudo. The key to smoking Virginias and Va/Pers is to smoke slowly. It sounds like you've learned to slow down a bit, but the real key to enjoying these tobaccos is to barely have them alight at any given time. If there's smoke rising from the bowl of your pipe you're smoking too fast. Sounds like you enjoy more user-friendly tobaccos for the time being, but as you become better, you'll probably learn to like most/all tobacco.

Do not despair! Pipe smoking involves constant learning. Some of us have just been learning longer than others. :lol:

Welcome to the madness! As others have said your tastes will develop over time, I have a tin of Dunhill Nightcap that I thought I would never smoke after I first opened it a couple years ago because I thought it was terrible (I was still quite new to pipes then). Now I quite enjoy it.

Stick":vcbp7gry said:
Welcome!  And, errrrrr, nice avatar. Ahem. ;)
Yes, thanks. That’s my future ex-wife. She just doesn’t know it yet!

Thanks for the welcome all. This looks like a great place. Looking forward to participating.

Panhandler, I live about 60 miles south of Paducah. I used to frequent the Tobacco Lane b&m that was in the Kentucky Oaks Mall. That wad about the only place I knew of to get pipes and tobacco in the area. We’re you n the area then?

eggman":qw3j8kaf said:
Panhandler, I live about 60 miles south of Paducah. I used to frequent the Tobacco Lane b&m that was in the Kentucky Oaks Mall. That wad about the only place I knew of to get pipes and tobacco in the area. We’re you n the area then?
I was there about 6 years ago. I wasn’t aware of Tobacco Lane as I was ordering all my supplies online. However, I did purchase my very first pipe at a local Walgreens. Dr Grabow Grand Duke and a pouch of CB white.

Also, I despise shopping malls but probably would’ve stopped in had I known of a good b&m there.

60 miles south of Paducah puts you close to Ft Campbell? I was stationed there for a few years and got out of the Army there way back in 1997. My kiddos and grandkids are still in Clarksville.

PanHandler":gpa1oyfa said:
60 miles south of Paducah puts you close to Ft Campbell? I was stationed there for a few years and got out of the Army there way back in 1997. My kiddos and grandkids are still in Clarksville.
Is Campbell 60 miles from Paducah? I thought it was closer than that, was stationed at Campbell for about six years, loved it there. There is Briar and Bean (in Clarksville) that I used to frequent when I was there, the fella that works there is a very nice guy.

AlphaWarrior":25uo1ut1 said:
Screaming Eagles!

Hey...cool...my brother in law was a Screaming Eagle...in VietNam.

Me? 11th Armored Cavalry...also in VietNam. I thought I was the only guy there that smoked a pipe. Of course I wasn’t. The locals thought the pipe meant that I was rich..and a scientist, or something. Cultural differences.

Just sayin’.

I was there about 6 years ago. I wasn’t aware of Tobacco Lane as I was ordering all my supplies online. However, I did purchase my very first pipe at a local Walgreens. Dr Grabow Grand Duke and a pouch of CB white.

Also, I despise shopping malls but probably would’ve stopped in had I known of a good b&m there.

60 miles south of Paducah puts you close to Ft Campbell? I was stationed there for a few years and got out of the Army there way back in 1997. My kiddos and grandkids are still in Clarksville.[/quote]

Oh goodness it’s been closed down over 10 years. Nope I’m more south and west of Paducah. On highway 45 not too far from Fulton/South Fulton area. I have a old Dr. Grabow my mother in law picked up at a estate sale I think. I got rid of that red epoxy on the outside of the bowl and blam it turned out to a great smoker.