Newbie question about Virginia tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason_a

Reaction score
So I'm relatively new to pipes and for the past two yrs I've smoked English blends almost exclusively. I've recently tried some Virginia's and maybe there is something wrong with me but where is the flavor? They seem very mild, almost like smoking a connecticut shade wrapped cigar versus one that is wrapped with a maduro or corojo wrapper.

Thanks guys!

1) The taste of Virginias is much more subtle than English mixtures are.

2) Your pipes are probably so "ghosted" with the residue of what you've been smoking in them that they're over-riding your Virginias' flavors.

3) Try them in a new pipe (a cob would work fine) and zero in on what they are.

:face:

The taste of Virginia tobaccos is indeed quite subtle. I recommend smoking them slowly (sipping) and snorting (pushing the smoke out of your nose) to enhance the flavor.

I'm can relate, I just started getting into Vas, coming from mainly english type blends. I really like Union Square for Vas( FVF is hard to come by). I smoke slow and I have a few dedicated pipes to Vas.

I can honestly say that I can taste the Virginia in the English blends I smoke now, only took two years! And in the Va/Perique blends I can taste the Perique.

My point being it takes a while to figure things out, but when it hits you just right it's worth it. And you'll know why Va smokers love them so.

Peace-Mike :cheers:

I've been a pipe smoker for 24 years, and I"m just now beginning to appreciate virginias. I've been a confirmed latakia-blend smoker (and still am). I've tried virginias on a few occasions, especially early on, but felt the same as you. Now I'm starting to get them. Maybe it's just something you have to grow into, something you become biologically ready for. I've heard some other smokers say similar things.

That said, I've always liked (and now miss) Elizabethan Mixture.

Thanks guys for all the advice. I think I'll put my Virginia blends in mason jars and revisit them at some point in the future.

jason_a":865nribs said:
Thanks guys for all the advice. I think I'll put my Virginia blends in mason jars and revisit them at some point in the future.
They'll only get better :lol!:

Jazzman":ebu3wdsd said:
My point being it takes a while to figure things out, but when it hits you just right it's worth it. And you'll know why Va smokers love them so.

Peace-Mike :cheers:
Yes, once you get that "magic moment" with pure Va´s you´ll KNOW...

As most have already said, the real sweet flavor is found at the lower temperatures. Smoke SLOOOW. 8)

I used to smoke straight VA quite a bit, but then I gradually lost my zest for it; but now VA is making a comeback, although in VA/Periques, Davidoff Flake Medallions and Escudo.

I'm trying to compare them, but so far, to my mind, although different, both are equally fabulous!

I got into Va since December and thought the same thing. I did get a cob and smoke Va in it and one day IT hit me. Ok now I have 4 pounds of Va and Vaper cellered. I will revisit them in three month periods to see how they are coming along. Right now I have a little Bullseye Flake that I smoke in rotation and it seems to get better every time I smoke it.

I will agree that Va is one of those Tobaccoes that have to be sipped to be enjoied. A nice lazy Sunday morning Smoke with Hazelnut coffee. Is it Sunday morning yet.

The Cheif

Your comparison of Va's to English are exactly the same as mine, however our opinions are polar opposite ;)...

I was never a maduro fan, and always loved a nice CT Shade leaf rapper with a nice smooth-medium bodied smoke. Being a much more of a pipe newb than you, I am just making it through my newbie sampler trade and found one of my favorites so far was a straight VA. I am looking forward to smoking some VaPer's though.