Newbie Question: "Cleaner Test"

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steverobinett

Reaction score
Hello Brothers!

As new pipe smoker, I've been looking at estate pipes at Viking Club Pipes. Can someone explain the meaning of the "Cleaner Test" and it's implications ? Many thanks!
Cheers
Steve

The cleaner test simply means that you can pass a pipe cleaner through the stem all the way down to the bowl without it getting stuck on the way. It means the draft hole in the stem lines up with the drilling in the shank which in turn indicates decent workmanship.

The caveat is a full bent, or an Oom Paul. From what I can see on my pipes they have to carve a little chamber in the shank from which they can then get the angle they need to hit the actual bottom of the bowl. Since the draft holes don't line up it's nigh-on impossible to get a cleaner through.

I might add--as a matter of fact I think I will--that many bents can be "defeated" by putting a slight bend in the last inch or so of the cleaner. When the cleaner bottoms out in the mortise, you pull it out slightly and twist it 180 degrees and hope the end picks up the draft hole and you can push it in all the way. A little foreplay with the cleaner might also help, using pliers to straighten out the wire on the tip, which can often be mucked up by careless handling during manufacture or stocking. It's not a make-or-break feature of buying a pipe, but it is a consideration.

The main reason for passing a pipecleaner without having to take the pipe apart is to let you "clean" your pipe while you are smoking.

Some pipes develop a gurgle which you would like to "remove on the go". You should never take your pipe apart (remove the stem) while it's hot. That's why it's important that a pipe should "pass the cleaner test".

Of my three Oom Pauls, one I can generally get a cleaner through, one I might get lucky, and one is a definite no go. A straight pipe without a stinger or filter should always pass a cleaner imo.

juanmedusa":gz4d7h1b said:
A straight pipe without a stinger or filter should always pass a cleaner imo.
Definitly. I'd say anything less is unacceptable.

I find that passing a cleaner on an Oom Paul is more a measure of my dexterity on the occasion than it is a question of "good" or "bad" drilling. Perhaps it's just learning the particular trick for that particular pipe.

In the context of the OP, the estate market, passing a cleaner is a shaky measure of quality (unless you know the seller as someone that holds to a certain standard). Yes, being able to pass a cleaner technically fulfills the letter of the law, but if it's once out of twenty attempts, I'd say that's a failing grade.

Some of the Peterson system pipes might pose a problem as well. Do to the over sized well that they put in them. But on the plus side they use a military mount so you can take them apart while still smoking them.

Thanks Retro for the prompt and informative reply - I'm glad this expanded a bit into more about pipe construction.
Cheers from Montana,

Steve

Richard Burley":k5zs6jcj said:
I might add--as a matter of fact I think I will--that many bents can be "defeated" by putting a slight bend in the last inch or so of the cleaner. When the cleaner bottoms out in the mortise, you pull it out slightly and twist it 180 degrees and hope the end picks up the draft hole and you can push it in all the way. A little foreplay with the cleaner might also help, using pliers to straighten out the wire on the tip, which can often be mucked up by careless handling during manufacture or stocking. It's not a make-or-break feature of buying a pipe, but it is a consideration.
I myself will not purchase a pipe anymore that won't pass the cleaner test, unless it's a system pipe which won't only because of design not because of design flaws. That and because I'm just too lazy to wait till a pipe cools to clean it, I want to do it when I'm finished and be done with it. ;)