Newbie Requesting Recommendations

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All,

Thanks for the welcome to the community. I'm a new pipe smoker, and my situation is challenging. I live in Washington state, but not near any of Seattle / Tacoma's pipe shops, which leaves me reliant on stocking up on the rare occasions I travel to Idaho or Montana. So far I have 4oz of Wilshire from the Tacoma Tinder Box, but that set me back almost $30. My goal is to land on a handful of go-to blends with different flavor profiles that I can stock in bulk (and possibly set some aside to age), and to supplement those with tins of various others. Plan follows, and I'd like your recommendations as to what tobaccos might better fill or supplement those niches.

Aromatics - Wilshire (I've heard it's the same blend as Lane 1-Q), is nice, but I'd prefer a bit more spice or other interesting notes. Been thinking of:
  • Country Squire Rivendell
  • Sutliff Christmas Blend

Semi-aromatics - Haven't tried any semi-aromatics or English aromatics yet, but from what I've read the following are interesting:
  • Country Squire Hunting Creek
  • Country Squire Northwest Trek

English - This is where I'd like to try different tins or other small amounts. Really no idea where to start.

Thanks all,
Oxymoron_RU

I lump English and Balkan blends together since there is no agreed upon definition of either that make them distinct. In that category I look for blends with two or more of Virginia, Oriental/Turkish and Latakia. Blends I like include:

G. L. Pease - Charring Cross and Westminster
Peterson - Early Morning Pipe and Standard Mixture
Gawith Hoggarth - Balkan Mixture
L. J. Peretti - Tashkent, English 110 and English 220

Ljperetti.com might ship to Washington State, it's not listed in their exclusions.

I lump English and Balkan blends together since there is no agreed upon definition of either that make them distinct. In that category I look for blends with two or more of Virginia, Oriental/Turkish and Latakia. Blends I like include:

G. L. Pease - Charring Cross and Westminster
Peterson - Early Morning Pipe and Standard Mixture
Gawith Hoggarth - Balkan Mixture
L. J. Peretti - Tashkent, English 110 and English 220

Ljperetti.com might ship to Washington State, it's not listed in their exclusions.
Thank you for the recommendations: I've heard a lot of good things about Early Morning Pipe, and Charing Cross appeals, ever since I saw the Anthony Hopkins film.

Oxy, I would suggest you hit SmokingPipes, Pipes&Cigars, and Boswell's; then search thru their bulk tobaccos. You can review the tobacco descriptions plus buy in smaller quantities, if you wish.
Note: I point out these three only for your convenience. I have no financial or other interest in either three. Other than they all get a goodly sum of my money every year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FWIW, FTRPLT

Oxy, I would suggest you hit SmokingPipes, Pipes&Cigars, and Boswell's; then search thru their bulk tobaccos. You can review the tobacco descriptions plus buy in smaller quantities, if you wish.
Note: I point out these three only for your convenience. I have no financial or other interest in either three. Other than they all get a goodly sum of my money every year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FWIW, FTRPLT
Roger that, and thank you. I will probably have to get them to deliver to a friend / family member out of state. I know the first two don't deliver to Washington; not sure about the third, but thank you. That's probably the best way to go - buy a wide variety in small amounts and then figure out what to stock up.

All,

Thanks for the welcome to the community. I'm a new pipe smoker, and my situation is challenging. I live in Washington state, but not near any of Seattle / Tacoma's pipe shops, which leaves me reliant on stocking up on the rare occasions I travel to Idaho or Montana. So far I have 4oz of Wilshire from the Tacoma Tinder Box, but that set me back almost $30. My goal is to land on a handful of go-to blends with different flavor profiles that I can stock in bulk (and possibly set some aside to age), and to supplement those with tins of various others. Plan follows, and I'd like your recommendations as to what tobaccos might better fill or supplement those niches.

Aromatics - Wilshire (I've heard it's the same blend as Lane 1-Q), is nice, but I'd prefer a bit more spice or other interesting notes. Been thinking of:
  • Country Squire Rivendell
  • Sutliff Christmas Blend

Semi-aromatics - Haven't tried any semi-aromatics or English aromatics yet, but from what I've read the following are interesting:
  • Country Squire Hunting Creek
  • Country Squire Northwest Trek

English - This is where I'd like to try different tins or other small amounts. Really no idea where to start.

Thanks all,
Oxymoron_RU
A+ on CS Rivendell and Northwest Trek, also Sutliff Xmas Spice. For aros you might want to try CS Choctaw or Cowboy Coffee. Their Shepherds Pie is a nice mild English. For something more Lat forward Arango Balkan Supreme gets good reviews. Also the English/balkans Balisong listed are good.

A+ on CS Rivendell and Northwest Trek, also Sutliff Xmas Spice. For aros you might want to try CS Choctaw or Cowboy Coffee. Their Shepherds Pie is a nice mild English. For something more Lat forward Arango Balkan Supreme gets good reviews. Also the English/balkans Balisong listed are good.
Thanks for the input: I'm working on establishing some crowd-pleasers to ensure my wife's continued support of the habit, and some more complex blends that are just for me when I'm fishing, hiking or in the workshop. I have a suspicion that CS will be my go to for aromatics; tons of great reviews, and to my novice eyes their blends look to be well-balanced and reasonably-priced.

Thanks for the input: I'm working on establishing some crowd-pleasers to ensure my wife's continued support of the habit, and some more complex blends that are just for me when I'm fishing, hiking or in the workshop. I have a suspicion that CS will be my go to for aromatics; tons of great reviews, and to my novice eyes their blends look to be well-balanced and reasonably-priced.
Yep, CS blends are good just some are better than others. Haven't tried a single one I did not like.

When I first started figuring out what I like, I would try straight tobacco types. I got some straight burley, straight Virginia, straight perique etc. From there I figured out whether I like stoved VA or bright, or combos like VaPer or VaBur etc. Once I had a grip on what tobaccos I like, then I could start looking at blends that included those. Might work for you.