Newbie seeks Aromatic tobacco recommendations...............

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolverine3660

Reaction score
Having tried English blends, I have found that I like milder aromatic blends. I am currently smoking a whisky-cured Cavendish that I purchase from our local smoke-shop, which has a limited selection of pipe tobaccos.
I'd like to try other aromatic blends, os, would you mind recommending your favorite aromatic blends?
TIA

In my opinion the two best aros out there are:

1. HPCS Adirondack Trout Stream from pipesandcigars.com Look under the bulk blends.
2. Scotty's Butternut Burley. From the same place, also under bulk.

These are my two favorite blends. I've tried a bunch of aros. I'm still looking for the best tinned aromatic out there, but haven't found one I like just yet.

Enjoy!

I like milder aros too. My favorites are from Larson, Davidoff and Villiger.

I 2nd Trout Stream and would add Morning Coffee from Just For Him as well as Larsen 2010

newb here, but I really like Dans Blue Note. Not sure its a true Aromatic, or if it fits in the "almost" category.

Thanks for the advice, Gentlemen. It is much appreciated, since I know no one here locally who is a pipesmoker who could dispense advice.

I second the butternut and burley..and i also like petersons sweet killarney

I'll second Butternut Burley, and add Dan SVH and Peterson University Flake; all are very tasty tobaccos.

I smoked some Butternut Burley last night in a Stanwell Zebrano. There were times that I tried to drink it, it tasted so good. Good stuff. :mrgreen:

Sillems Black. It's an aromatic for people who love tobacco instead of goopy toppings.

I'll probably catch some flak over this, but for a simple aromatic that's commonly available everywhere - i've found it hard to beat Captain Black White. Plus, it's got about the best room note of any aromatic i've tried (wife agreed)...

If you do go this route, the Tin is the only way to go - much better than the crap in the pouches with all of the preservatives.

Do, in fact, tins contain fewer "add-ins," chemicals, etc., than bulk? What is a source for this information?

Not questioning, but I have wondered about this, as I am a bulk buyer only.

Basically anything sold in a pouch has to have a certain level of preserviatve - usually PG.

Sealed in a Tin - not as much of an issue. I, of course, don't have the chemical breakdown of the ingredient percentages - but there is a definate difference in the taste and smell between CBW in a pouch vs. tin...

It has also been mentioned before here and on other forums as well. I wish that I had the actual raw data to present, but i'll see what I can come up with. Definately is a difference though.

As far as bulk, I believe it is treated like tins regarding preservatives - very low to non-existant. I'll ask a tobacconist friend of mine next week and get his input on this. As far as I remember him saying, only the pouches contain a high percentage of preservatives - but once again i'll try to verify this.

Yes trying to choose tobacco ( unless you got money to burn) is quite a chore, Everyones taste is different, I eat foods I think are good my friends say are awful, or food I think are mild and friends think they are insanly hot.

Tobacco is the same I've had good and bad recomendations, all in all its a shot in the dark it can be frustating when you just want to find something to enjoy a simple pleasure and its become a chore,

Past couple months I think I'm 1 to 8. 7 with buyers remorse and 1 I was happy with It was from the Tinderbox, "Midnight" its all dark/black has a smokie smooth mild sweet taste to me, which means it could be awful to others :)

If only someone would come up with a sampler pack that offered like half a bowl portions, Just enough to see if it was worth a regular portion to buy,

Something like "The Fabulous 50 sample pack" 50 little 1/2 bowl portions of different tobaccos, just enough to get a taste with no leftovers,

I would think it would be a great way for pipe tobacco companies to markert their products, if we had a way to sample more with low initial cost we would by more in the long term,

Try some Boswell blends, they are relatively low in price, and most are really good.

I agree with the Capt Black. Great room note. Give yourself time to aquire the taste.

RealtorFrank":qonsan0p said:
Try some Boswell blends, they are relatively low in price, and most are really good.
QFT

Boswells is the best! Chocolate Creme and Berry Cobbler are my favorites from them, followed by Dutch Treat.

I also recommend Pipeworks and Wilke. Maple Cavendish is my favorite P&W aromatic.

MacBaren has tons of aros. A couple of months ago when my cellar ran bare I was forced to survive with these. Black Ambrosia and Scottish Blend were the most tolerable to me. I´ll also second Capt. Black as a good OTC aro. I´m not really a aro fan but I´ll make due if the situation calls for it.