newb's vaper technique

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ragged claws

Reaction score
As a new pipe smoker I only have a few different tobaccos on hand. Two of these are vapers from Esoterica: Dorchester and Dunbar. While I enjoy the taste of both of these tobaccos, I tend to suffer from a burning sensation to my upper mouth and nasal cavities when I smoke them. I don't seem to have this problem with most of my other tobaccos like Squadron Leader or 1-Q and I don't think that I smoke particularly hot. At least my pipes never get hot to the touch. Since I do like these vapers, I decided to experiment a little with my smoking technique and see if I could minimize or eliminate the mouth burn. I discovered that if I smoke these tobaccos really slow and just puff enough to put very small amounts of smoke in my mouth, I don't experience the burn. As soon as I begin to feel the burn, I just slow way down and all is good again. Maybe I should be smoking all of my tobaccos this way but it takes a bit of effort to smoke this slow.

Kim

ragged claws":w6uffw6u said:
As a new pipe smoker I only have a few different tobaccos on hand. Two of these are vapers from Esoterica: Dorchester and Dunbar. While I enjoy the taste of both of these tobaccos, I tend to suffer from a burning sensation to my upper mouth and nasal cavities when I smoke them. I don't seem to have this problem with most of my other tobaccos like Squadron Leader or 1-Q and I don't think that I smoke particularly hot. At least my pipes never get hot to the touch. Since I do like these vapers, I decided to experiment a little with my smoking technique and see if I could minimize or eliminate the mouth burn. I discovered that if I smoke these tobaccos really slow and just puff enough to put very small amounts of smoke in my mouth, I don't experience the burn. As soon as I begin to feel the burn, I just slow way down and all is good again. Maybe I should be smoking all of my tobaccos this way but it takes a bit of effort to smoke this slow.

Kim
You have realized the "secret" to good pipe smoking !! Learn to "sip" your smokes and you will tatse and feel ALL the nuances of a blend/mixture! After awhile, it will become second nature and you won't feel it is an "effert" :p

There's a certain "chi" with every pipe, and every tobacco. It comes as a balance of yourself and the moment of smoking. It's really easy to talk about, wonderful to have, but much harder to do. It takes patience in all areas, consideration, and willingness. Sometimes it isn't achieved, and it's up to you to decide what needs changing.

Slowing down (the mind and the act of smoking), preparing the tobacco as you see fit, choosing the right pipe and what you put in it...all factors. Good thing it's pretty fun to practice this artform. :)

8)

<<<Maybe I should be smoking all of my tobaccos this way but it takes a bit of effort to smoke this slow.> >>

Just practice becoming more aware of how you're breathing, even when you're not smoking. Then practice the popular self-relaxation technique of inhaling to a five count, exhaling to a six count. Then take a step to, while smoking, breathe normally through your nose, and don't pay much attention to the pipe. You'll find that the vacuum created is ample to keep the coal smoldering, the smoke will be cool, and you won't be fretting about the pipe, just relaxing and enjoying.

I experienced this same problem when I first started smoking VaPers. Try letting your tobacco dry out a bit before packing your bowl. This made all the difference for me.

Sounds like you're on the right track RC. Slow is the ticket.

Another thing is that Perique (the Per in Va/Per) is a very spicy tobacco. Depending on the blend it can come off like a mild hot sauce. Peppery is how some describe it. That might be contributing to the burning sensation.

MisterE":t54pillh said:
Sounds like you're on the right track RC. Slow is the ticket.

Another thing is that Perique (the Per in Va/Per) is a very spicy tobacco. Depending on the blend it can come off like a mild hot sauce. Peppery is how some describe it. That might be contributing to the burning sensation.
Thanks for that info, MisterE. I'm thinking of trying some non va/per virginia but don't know where to start since there seem to be so many blends to choose from. I'd like something that burns a little cooler than my va/pers and without a heavy nicotine content. I can handle a moderate amount of nicotine since I'm an ex-cigarette smoker. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Kim

ragged claws":37zuwtng said:

Kim
Embrace the burn, baby. :p

Seriously, do slow down.

Others to try - Long Golden Flake, PS Luxury Bull's Eye, PS Luxury Navy Flake, Orlik Golden Sliced. What you are experiencing stems from the characteristics of perique. I feel that it takes some time to adjust to, but it's surely worth the time and effort. Long Golden Flake is very, very good and worth the price. The perique is tempered by white burley and some sort of very mild flavoring that keeps the perique spice/burn in check. Like most R.L. Will blends LGF is quite near perfection.