Newest Project - "Bridge Pipe"

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinH

Reaction score
For lack of more accurate nomenclature, I'm calling this my "Bridge Pipe." It needs much more work, especially in terms of having equal dimensions. Much of the pipe is not symmetrical yet, but I'll get there.

If you get a chance to look at this and have any idea on how to make the open space between the bridge and the shank more angular, please let me know. What I mean is that I only have round files rough enough to make any progress underneath the bridge. My smoother files would work for creating a making the open space more rectangular, but I'd be working on this until the cows come home. I've looked at a variety of files online, but I need something pretty rough to make the initial shape.

I have been successful using a really cheap, $10 dremmel-like tool from Harbor Freight to make initial foray and open the space between the shank and the bridge. After drilling the initial hole with the largest drill bit I had, I opened the space a little more with a smaller drill bit, and then used the dremmel to increase the space gradually. The dremmel is really pretty crappy, but since it only makes very slow progress with a weak engine, it's pretty good for working in delicate areas, and especially for final, slow shaping. :)

God, I hope I'm making sense.

Here is the link:
Pipe 2 - 2012

First, this is lookin' pretty sweet! Not sure what your goal in making the bridge more "angular" is. I think if you rounded off the edges of the tunnel under the bridge it would look sleek, but that's up to you. If you were to just round off the edges on the shank and not the bridge, it might give the appearance of water flowing beneath it, which could be really cool if it worked.

If what you want to achieve is an even sided tunnel, I'd recommend picking up a rasp & file with a curved edge. I picked one up at Lowe's and it immediately became an indispensable tool in my tiny arsenal.

dsc00510.jpg

dsc00511.jpg

Good luck and keep us posted!

Go for a cat's tongue (rasp) like Uber showed in the first picture, work in the direction of the "shape" you want to create. Rasps are usually quite large, though, so be careful. It's easy to get carried away.

Also, with a rasp, it's likely you'll do some damage to the fine grain of the briar, they tend to "chop" out pieces at edges and may create some extra work if you aren't precise with pressure and use. Then, the second file would work nicely.

Harbor Freight has a nice selection of cheap woodworking files, and even micro files, that I use quite bit on my projects.

8)

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I do have two cat tongues, but they are too wide for the hole below the bridge. I may take the advice given and keep the opening mostly round. The dremmel tool works pretty well at slowly sanding away and making the opening to what I think will work.

I'll post pics as I get to work on it more. probably not until next weekend.

Martin

If I was working it, the hole would be for my thumb. Like a thumb hole rifle stock, albeit more artistic in design. I'm not partial to this style at all, but I must say yours is very appealing. Best of luck with the final results.