Nex to tobacco variety's

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
monbla256":75u8wd1p said:
I know about the Canadian "thing". I have a cousin up in Montreal for whom I buy three McClelland "blends" :p for him down here in Texas and send to him as I can get them cheaper here and he beats the high tobacco taxes in Canada this way :p
I'm chuckling reading your post because Quebec has the lowest tobacco taxes in the nation. Ontario is the next lowest.

mark":75u8wd1p said:
desertpiper":75u8wd1p said:
There might be a can of worms being opened some where but I have to ask. ..
More like a DRUM of worms,,,but it's always interesting,,,it's been a great read,,, :D
An Olympic swimming pool of worms. But the amazing thing is how much there is. So we can argue. And a lot of it is quite good. It's not like there are two or three great brands and the rest is passable. There is lot that is worth exploring. As Scott points out some of it is in little niches that are specific stores with old style tobaccos. The market has been through a heck of a lot of decline for a long time and the stuff that remains sells or it wouldn't be there. So there is something for almost everyone. You're seeing big lists of stuff for a good reason.

desertpiper":75u8wd1p said:
And that's what I kind of wanted to do. People get passoniate about this and you get good arguments (debates). Which brings out good info.
One of the great ways to lower the cost of all the trying when you're new is to get together with others with similar experience and do a group buy and divide it up and send out a lot of smaller samples. You get to try a lot more tobaccos at lower cost.

Rusty said:
monbla256":pmknfxg7 said:
I know about the Canadian "thing". I have a cousin up in Montreal for whom I buy three McClelland "blends" :p for him down here in Texas and send to him as I can get them cheaper here and he beats the high tobacco taxes in Canada this way :p
I'm chuckling reading your post because Quebec has the lowest tobacco taxes in the nation. Ontario is the next lowest.

mark":pmknfxg7 said:
I can still buy it in Texas and mail to him for less than he pays in Montreal he tells me. I don't know or pay taxes in Quebec and really don't care. What ever it is or isn't is their problem :p Besides, as my cousin says, Canada ends at the western border of Quebec. My family is Canadienne, not Canadian. Up there this IS a difference.

monbla256":qv62m480 said:
Rusty":qv62m480 said:
monbla256":qv62m480 said:
I can still buy it in Texas and mail to him for less than he pays in Montreal he tells me. I don't know or pay taxes in Quebec and really don't care. What ever it is or isn't is their problem :p
Maybe. OTOH it is the way the rest of world is going. This is the WHO FCTC and their program playing out.
The US seems to be a little different and that's both interesting and gratifying. The US has not ratified the FCTC. You are one of very few that have not. So those of us that enjoy tobacco watch the US legislation. Your tobacco taxes are rising. But the legislative focus seems to be much more on problem forms of tobacco. Whereas with the rest of the world it's all tobacco. In the US it seems to be opportunistic politicking or collateral damage that is most feared.

Rusty":h0d3s8wg said:
monbla256":h0d3s8wg said:
Rusty":h0d3s8wg said:
monbla256":h0d3s8wg said:
I can still buy it in Texas and mail to him for less than he pays in Montreal he tells me. I don't know or pay taxes in Quebec and really don't care. What ever it is or isn't is their problem :p
Maybe. OTOH it is the way the rest of world is going. This is the WHO FCTC and their program playing out.
The US seems to be a little different and that's both interesting and gratifying. The US has not ratified the FCTC. You are one of very few that have not. So those of us that enjoy tobacco watch the US legislation. Your tobacco taxes are rising. But the legislative focus seems to be much more on problem forms of tobacco. Whereas with the rest of the world it's all tobacco. In the US it seems to be opportunistic politicking or collateral damage that is most feared.
We are engrosed in the aquisition of $s here and though it is not as large as it once was, tobacco is a good sized agricultural export product and as such still brings a lot of $$s into the US. So until that substantialy changes, not much else will except for some peripheral stuff tax wise domestically. Too much $s to be made :p

I'm still friggin' confused about the whole mixture/blend differentiation, and I like definitions.

So, to insult every French Canadian ever, can I get a good clarification, see-voo-play? :lol:

8)

Kyle Weiss":w2ruofrk said:
I'm still friggin' confused about the whole mixture/blend differentiation, and I like definitions.

So, to insult every French Canadian ever, can I get a good clarification, see-voo-play? :lol:

8)
Ya need to ask Rusty, he's the expert here. He knows Everything :p I'm just an old fart who smokes old pipes :p

monbla256":d7u79pme said:
Kyle Weiss":d7u79pme said:

8)
Ya need to ask Rusty, he's the expert here. He knows Everything :p I'm just an old fart who smokes old pipes :p
An old French Canadienne (btw they refer to themselves Quebecois but you abandoned them) pipe smoker. :shock:

Rusty":artupdlj said:
monbla256":artupdlj said:
Kyle Weiss":artupdlj said:

8)
An old French Canadienne (btw they refer to themselves Quebecois but you abandoned them) pipe smoker. :shock:
That's what my father called himself. I was born in Texas back in '46 so I call myself a Texan. But my family is all from Montreal and Scotland ( mothers family) I'm first generation born in US. So I'm more than familiar with the Quebecois .

So I'm getting a good handle on the different tobaccos, taharris has been especially helpful. So my next question is the difference between tinned tobacco and bulk tobacco, besides the obvious of quantity and value. I ask because in a review I read someone was trying a particular blend from a bulk supplier, and said it's quality could rival a tinned tobacco. So am I to assume that tinned tobacco is typically a higher quality or was this someones opinion.

desertpiper":i198r178 said:
So I'm getting a good handle on the different tobaccos, taharris has been especially helpful. So my next question is the difference between tinned tobacco and bulk tobacco, besides the obvious of quantity and value. I ask because in a review I read someone was trying a particular blend from a bulk supplier, and said it's quality could rival a tinned tobacco. So am I to assume that tinned tobacco is typically a higher quality or was this someones opinion.
ALL of what is said about tobacco's here is OPINION and should be taken as such . I buy a tobacco and my perception of it is such. Someone else buys the same and their perception is such. We can be correctly DIFFERENT at the same time because it is our PERCEPTION of it. Take all advice with a "grain of salt" as they say and decide for yourself :p

I haven't noticed any difference between bulk and tinned other than moisture level. I've never received bulk tobacco that was too moist, however the tins often are. Flavorwise I don't find any difference between the two, but I'm buying VAs and VA/Per flakes primarily and can't speak to the English side of the coin.

In most cases the bulk is the same stuff they put in the tins. With the tins it's a smaller quantity in a sealed environment which can cause it to age over time in a different way. Less oxygen. What's better? Who knows. What's easier on my pocketbook? Bulk!