Nice Rack

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josjor

Reaction score
That may seem an innapropriate topic title, but it seems fitting if you read the description for this pipe rack:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Smoking-Pipes-Stand-Rack-Hold-Case-Display-Wood-Pipe-/180711333798?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a133c1fa6

If you take a look you will find that "You can take sure about quality and maternity of this stand for pipes, reviewing detail photos of our goods."
:D

Anyway, I bring it to BoB as I remember reading somewhere that someone asked about how to form the bowl shape found on most pipe racks. For those of us with a router and jig, I thought the solution found by this enterprising Ukrainian was pretty good and available to any of us with a drill bit.

210602461_o.jpg

Finding a pipe rack has been a difficult task for me, Oh there are many available and the one shown is a good design, what my dilemma has been my pipes vary in size and shape and no 1 pipe rack accommodates them all well.

Second. most racks available display the pipe with the bowls facing forward, personally I prefer a profile view to display the pipes for friends to see. When you show your collection the first thing one sees is the charred bowl, Just doesn't seem the best aesthetic view, to me.

Really I wish there were some way to display them with more of a profile view, I have considered locating some padded pinch clamps and display them on a board like the pipe displays in the tobacco shops.

I want that same grab that one gets when you visit a pipe shop and see the display not a charred bowl view but that is me, My pipes to me are little works of art I wish there was a rack that accommodated a nice profile view

I recently saw a solution for you. It's flat board with super magnets set into it, inside small circular metal discs. You drop one of the accompanying ball bearings into the pipe's bowl and set it on the disc. The magnet holds the pipe upright...in any orientation you want.

I'll come back here to edit tnis if I see the site again. It was one I'd never been on before. Mighta been "cvtobacco.com". Be that as it may they were made by Vauen. Expensive. But the magnets aren't. Seems like anyone with a few tools, a little savvy and a can do attitude could make up one of their own.

Then there's the vertical ones that Peterson makes...12 pipes...kind of a lazy susan thing with the pipes set sideways...maybe three to a side one above the other...square shaped thing. I think I saw one at Cup o'Joes. Looks like just the ticket.

I believe the article you are referring to is in the Oct.13 edition of pipesmagazine.com. It is entitled "The Magically Magnetic One-of-a-kind Pipe Stand,

www.pipesmagazine.com

then cursor down the list of articles.

Thought it was a pretty cool idea myself.

Shootist - well mi amigo, you pretty much found the mother load there. Whet I saw was a $99 Vauen stand that supported 3 pipes. With the info you found one could easily make enough 'anchors' for several collections for a fraction of the investment! Good info! I've already got a bunch of those small supermagnets. It would be easy to pull something out of my scrap wood bin, hop down to Home Depot for a piece of Oak shelving...measure and mark the wood...drill some holes for the magnets to slide into...finish the wood to one's satisfaction...epoxy the magnets into place...and set up the pipes. I've worked with these magnets a lot...setting them at the end of an oak dowel that has a brass or copper plumbing cap on the end (they make stellar pipe tampers). With the magnet in place I can have the tamper close at hand when working in my studio. So anyway, the comment I was going to make was...the strength of these magnets drops off dramatically with the distance bettween the magnets and the steel, or second magnet. I think even 1/8" will cut the strength in half. Design accordingly. Also...watch out for those magnets. They are STRONG and will pinch the heck out of a finger. And I assume I don't need to tell you about data storage devices that are magnetically based, etc. Work smart.

Yes "The Magically Magnetic One-of-a-kind Pipe Stand, would work for me, I saw the Vauen, and 3 pipe per 100.00 would cost more than some of the pipes,

So any idea where I could get the magnets? I got the woodworking covered, I would love to be able to display my pipes, A shadow box type unit, maybe even glass doors.

A unobstructed view of my pipes would be nice indeed, thanks for the info guys I'm gonna see what I can come up with sounds like a good soluction. :cheers:

Or...if you want to get any size in the world...etc. just google rare earth magnets and you'll get abiut three major online vendors. I've still got about a dozen that are 1/4" diam. X 3/8" long cylinders. I'mgoing to try doing it with those but they might not be strong enough...hold on...nope! I have a box with one of my magnets set in the lid...si I set a button on it and dropped another of my magnets into the bowl of several smallish pipes...no go. Gotta be bigger than mine for sure.