Nicotine dreaming.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
As an ex-cigarette smoker of about 12 years, I reintroduced myself to fine tobacco and pipes again recently. While I was properly addicted to cigarettes (very glad I quit, by the way) I was always saddened by my lack of being able to relax with smoke of some kind. No, not *that* kind either, that stuff does not agree with me.

Regardless, I am not and probably won't be a daily/hourly/chain pipe smoker. The hobby is now interesting me on a craft-level, with pairing on my other "weekendly/vacationly" activities.

One thing that has occurred to me is my vivid, weird and involved dreams I have if I smoke a pipe close to bedtime. I'm not a dreamer typically, I'm just the kind that beds down, and what seems like moments later, 6 hours have gone by and I wake up. Sometimes it's eight hours. Sometimes, by no other reason than I'm perhaps the owner of a broken brain, get solid insomnia. When I do sleep, however, post-pipe, I really almost wish I would write some of these subconscious ideas down. They're fascinating. This did not happen to me as a cigarette smoker.

Any other occasional smokers out there with "nicotine-fueled dreaming?"

Just wondering.

Very interesting observation.

I myself toss and turn all night and forgot how to dream even before smoking pipes.

Wonder if it was the cigars?

I have always had vivid dreams so it makes no differance to me. What has changed however is the wildness of my dreams, but that is due to something other than tobacco. I work 2 jobs so sleep is far and in between,sundays and monday being the worse. Today I work at the gas station from 4- midnight, then come home and usually no matter hard I try I don't fall asleep until 1:30 - 2:00 am. Then I get up at 6:30 and get ready for work at the dealership, then come home at 5 and get ready for the gas station again and get home at 10:15 or so.

Last week I got home tuesday and was so exausted that I fell asleep at 6 pm and did not wake up once until 6:15 am. The dreams was wild. I had one where balls of fire and bolts of lightning was coming from the sky and all I did was kneeled and prayed for forgiveness. then a Giant fireball hit me but it didn't kill me. I was inside of this fireball about the size of a average 2 story home yet did not feel fear at all nor did it startle me awake. Instead the dream continued and finished with me exiting the fireball stating I have nothing to fear I have been forgiven.

the second one that night I was at the beach with my family and there was a storm with huge 30' waves, but when they got close to my family they all just stopped in place like they froze.

the entire night I was having vivid dreams like these two,and not once did they startle me awake or scare me even in the dream.

sleep deprivation is what causes my most vivid dreams, tobacco just makes my dreams funny,sexual or what have you.

Cuervo25_1

Most likely cause, chemicals from the flood waters. :(

Thinking of going down your way to the container store in paramus

for some baccy jars, ever been there?

I rarely dream any more. I wish I did, sometimes I had some cool ones. For the most part I just don't dream anymore.

IrishRover":g1h2vuyt said:
I rarely dream any more. I wish I did, sometimes I had some cool ones. For the most part I just don't dream anymore.
Kind of a sad byproduct of aging that we tend to not dream as much, or seemingly at all. As the intensity of sensation in youth wears off, we settle into a slow retreat. I firmly believe that the better you remember what you were like as a child, the happier you are as an adult, and having children around definitely helps!

Harlock999":71jvu97s said:
Kind of a sad byproduct of aging that we tend to not dream as much, or seemingly at all. As the intensity of sensation in youth wears off, we settle into a slow retreat. I firmly believe that the better you remember what you were like as a child, the happier you are as an adult, and having children around definitely helps!
Probably why I'm not a "kid person," never have been (even when I was a kid) and never will be. Childhood was extremely difficult for me. I never really dreamed until I got older, and quite honestly, the farther I get away from my youth, the more relaxed, satisfied and free I feel...

...takes all kinds, I suppose. :) No hard-and-fast rules for anything except life and death, after all. 8)

I read one time that the deeper you sleep the less likely you are to dream, or remember the dreams. That is another thing that was strange to me that night. I never sleep as hard as I did that night, I usually wake up at least once or twice sometimes more. I didn't even move from the spot and position I went to sleep in, yet I had those vivid dreams.

Dreams are a scientifically mysterious thing anyway. There's lots of theories about why they occur, how, and sometimes can differ from person to person. They've always intrigued me, because sometimes a dream (at least with me) can have day-long effects on how my mood is and what I react to. Generally speaking, my dreams are really boring. I'm usually having some odd dialogue with someone, falling and actually hitting the ground and then getting up and walking away, or walking around someplace devoid of people. I don't get zombies, horror, aliens, past experiences or anything like others do... I almost wish I did. :lol:

Gee. I've been dreaming a lot more lately. I don't know if they've just been a product of me drinking a lot more heavily as of late or what. When I was on ambien for insomnia awhile back, I thought that was some pretty intense dreams but they were nothing compared to as of late. I've also accidentally stumbled upon being able to lucid dream, realize I'm dreaming without allowing myself to wake up and directing my dreams from there.

What's even weirder to me is one of the ones I had last night. I kept falling asleep during my dream. I legitimately felt worn out past exhaustion and felt myself fighting consciousness while dreaming.

It's my belief that everyone dreams, every night. There is far too much stimulation during daylight hours for us to process, and what we don't process gets processed while we sleep. The statement that we don't dream is untrue; what can be said is that we don't remember what we dream. I hardly ever remember my dreams.

I find this dream's discussion fascinating. If I'm working on some writing for long hours, I'll actually find myself dreaming about my characters, or the book, and will often use ideas from my dreams. Cuervo's description of fireballs and lighting from the sky, and the non-consuming fireball is the stuff of fascinating novels to me.

Anyway, I imagine I dream most every night, but it's the remember part that's difficult.

As an update, since I've been smoking more regularly, the vivid dreaming has sadly gone by the wayside. I am, however, sleeping BETTER because I'm able to really take some time to relax and shed the day from the forefront of my thoughts! 8) Thanks, pipe! :D

Early the 1990s I got myself a serious cigar jones, and wasn't doing much pipe smoking. At that time I was doing environmental science for a consulting engineering firm, most of whose clients were industrial plants in the L.A. metro area. One of them was a dairy products company owned by a very sharp guy whose family immigrated from Cuba...escaped, really...at the time when (as he put it) "...they started wearing beards, if you know what I mean." I knew what he meant. ;)

Anyhow, he was a 'gar aficionado. He used to get these cigars I had never heard of from someone in Miami, and the room note from those 'gar sticks was just incredible. I finally asked him what they were, and where I could buy them. "I'll get you some", he said.

He did. They were awesome. Then someone gifted me with some Cuban Montecristos, which provided me with a few...er, "religious experiences".

I started dreaming about cigars. In those dreams, I would be smoking these incredible 'gar sticks—loaded with flavor, yet buttery smooth. In one recurring dream, I found myself walking around in New York City, searching the legendary cigar shops there (probably gone by now) for glorious smokes.

I still keep cigars in the humidor, although I don't smoke them as often as I used to. But every once in while, I still have those dreams about exquisite 'garage, and the old 'gar jones resurfaces—a lust that only a fine cigar can satiate.

:joker: