nicotine sickness?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpramsey

Reaction score
I was smoking some 3 friars (C&D) earlier and realized that every time I smoke that blend, i get some nicotine sickness. I smoked Escudo a while back and the same thing happened. I'm thinking it may be the perique. I've heard stories of people getting a little nicotine sickness from blends with perique. any one else get sick from perique?

perique is very mild in the nicotine department.. It's probably the burley in the friars.. and it has to be the virginia in the Escudo, I've never considered it heavy in the vitamin N department but who knows.

In time you'll build a tolerance for the charms of the deliciously naughty Lady-N, given enough time you'll be chasing after her skirt trims like a young teenage lad after a bit of 'pie'. :twisted:

Nicotine rarely bothers me. Pipes and those damned cigs! Perique on the other hand gives me the drools and an uncomfortable feeling in my mouth. Wasn't like that in my youth but recently tried some samples with perique and they all did it to me!

puros_bran":1bp8ppaf said:
perique is very mild in the nicotine department..
actually it's the opposite, which a quick Google on the subject will bear out.

Virginias
flue-cured 2.5-2.7%
fire-cured 5.0-5.1%
Burley 2.9-3.0%
Turkish 1.05%
(from _Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology_, moisture-free analysis)
Perique 3.5% (USDA analysis)

That instantly caught my eye because Bob Runowski told me in a conversation of the subject of his blend Old Joe Krantz was that the higher nicotine content of the blend was due to the 25% Perique content.

It very well could be a body chemistry incompatability with specific Perique components rather than a Vitamin "N" issue.

:face:

sisyphus":epb6zhhb said:
That instantly caught my eye because Bob Runowski told me in a conversation of the subject of his blend Old Joe Krantz was that the higher nicotine content of the blend was due to the 25% Perique content.
I have read that the nicotine in Perique is high, and I have also read that it's low. :?:

All I know is that Haddo's Delight leaves me woozy, as does Irish Oak. And I have no problems with some of the notoriously strong blends like 1792, & G&H Dark Birdseye & Dark Flake. Go figure.

All I know is I have smoked pure perique with no effect.
I assumed it was pretty low.. then again I smoke Ropes and dark flake too..

but even so. The level of perique in the two blends mentioned is low enough by volume to not be the cause ..

Yak":xibbmbxu said:
It very well could be a body chemistry incompatability with specific Perique components rather than a Vitamin "N" issue.

Thia. To verify, try a blend WITHOUT Perique that is known to be a nic heavy blend such as Royal Yacht and see if you get the same reaction. If so then it may be the nicotine and not the Perique. It's your body so YOU need to experience for YOU :twisted:

Not often mentioned is how the tobacco is treated will also seems change how a person will uptake nicotine. The same leaf with a different prep (curing/aging/maturing) will deliver not necessarily different amounts of Vitamin N, but the release of it into the system. Some tobaccos are heavy and slow, others are a punch in the face, others are like a dripping faucet.

That's another variable with someone's tolerance/body chemistry, to boot. Variables, all of them.

8)

Sounds like body chemistry to me -- a bad reaction to Perique more than to Vitamin "N."

Maybe not even something that blunt and simple.

I cannot smoke Laurel Heights. I wish I could. It's tasty stuff that doesn't get nearly as much airplay as it deserves. But it kicks my dupa all the way into next week. Every damn time. Nauseates me into submission.

Red Virginia ? No Problem.

Microscopic Latakia content ? No problem.

Laurel Heights ? Misery in a tin.

Go figure.

Funny you mention 3 Friars because the same thing happens to me at the bottom of the bowl every time I smoke it. I can smoke a large bowl of Billy Budd, a fairly strong tobacco, with little problem, but a small bowl of 3 friars does me in. A real pity as it tastes so great. Sometimes more age mitigates the nicotine hit, so I'll revisit it after a while.

Sometimes smokeing a strong blend on an empty stomach can give me the N sickness.Try smoking it after a meal and see if it still disagrees with you.

FWIW : Perique intensifies as the bowl progresses ; what you've tasted as subtle hints now and then gathers itself and, in the last few minutes, roars.

You can just about identify its presence in a blend by the sneeze(s) at the end.

FWIW II : since the idea of smoking straight Perique keeps coming up : back in the day, it was a standard thing for B&Ms to have jars of blending tobacco -- Perique included -- on offer. And for them to offer some impressive prize to anyone who could smoke a while bowl of it, because they know no one could.

Not because it was that strong, but because it was insanely hygroscopic. You literally couldn't keep it lit.

If this has changed since then, I'd suspect some change in what's being grown there.