Non-aromatics for an aromatic lover?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Tex

Reaction score
Hi all. I just started taking up the pipe a couple months ago. I have only smoked aromatics (MacBaren vanilla cream, McClelland Best of Show, and good old black Cavendish) with the exception of this one house blend whose leaf type I am unsure of but tasted unpleasantly like cigarettes. That said, I love aromatics and will likely will always love them. However, I don't want to limit myself, and would really appreciate your recommendations as to what I should try in the non-aromatic realm. My only guidelines are that I tend to prefer mild (nicotine wise, not flavor wise) blends that smell good (for me the smell is a huge part of the appeal, despite the fact that aro's rarely taste the same as their room note smells). Enlighten me please!

Two blends that I have tried are GLP Union Square (a Virginia) and Dunhill Early Morning Pipe (a mild English). US has a good room note BTW. It also should be sipped slowly as most VAs should. Have you mastered the slow sipping as yet? I am sure others will be here shortly. Enjoy!

:pirat:

loneredtree":eorzwmph said:
Two blends that I have tried are GLP Union Square (a Virginia) and Dunhill Early Morning Pipe (a mild English). US has a good room note BTW. It also should be sipped slowly as most VAs should. Have you mastered the slow sipping as yet? I am sure others will be here shortly. Enjoy!

Thanks for the recommendations! Yeah, I think I got the sipping down pretty well. Haven't been bit yet but then again I haven't put anything particularly hairy-chested and strong in the pipe yet.

Big_Tex, I'd go McClelland here.

Try some Fragrant Matured 2000, Deep Hollow, Virginia Woods, or if you want to try some really subdued Latakia something from the Frog Morton Series would fit the bill. I liked FM Across the Pond the best but a lot of pipers enjoy the original FM, and FM On the Town too. All of these smoke with some aromatic-like qualities in the sense that they impart a pleasant room note, but they do deliver, some more than others, a good albeit mild to medium tobacco flavor.

One mixture that I recently discovered for a sweet fix that's relatively affordable in cost is Altadis Black Whiskey 511. To me it smokes more like a flavored tobacco than a heavily cased one and there's more going on with it than I usually find with most aro's but it is "flavored-sweet" more than naturally so.

After McClelland 2000 try 2010. It is a little less sweet but should be a good transition from aromatics to non-aromatics.

I'm going to throw in Orlik Golden Sliced, it's a Virginia flake, so mild nicotine content. You'll get to experience and experiment with flakes, it's inexpensive and it's not strong flavor wise. Really mellow, bright taste. They both have citrus notes that pop in and out during the smoke (at least for me) which I believe is a characteristic of the yellow/golden Virginia in it.

Dunhill Flake is similar, tasty too but more pricey.

I'm going a different direction than the actual question...

If you like aromatic why not branch out into higher quality aromatic?

Dan, Boswell, Uhles, Peretti, etc

puros_bran":7n04xd1j said:
I'm going a different direction than the actual question...

If you like aromatic why not branch out into higher quality aromatic?

Dan, Boswell, Uhles, Peretti, etc
I have no objection to that whatsoever. :D Funny thing is, I thought I was going higher quality with the McClelland and MacBaren, lol. But then again, my initial basis for comparison was the giganto-tin of Cherry Cavendish that I bought at the pharmacy for $12 when I first bought a cob to experiment with. :lol:

McBaren is middle of the road IMO...
McClelland is high quality BUT aromatics aren't their specialty.

The burley based mildly aromatics from Uhles is top notch.
Boswell is known for their aromatics more than anything else.
And Dan.. lol. Dan might have invented aromatics. Dan Blue Note..The closest you can get to smoking a candy bar.

As others have noted, McClelland 2000 FMC is an excellent choice.

And if you have a sweet tooth try the 5100 Red Cake.

Both are bulk blends and are pretty easy on the wallet.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":lec0lq4m said:
As others have noted, McClelland 2000 FMC is an excellent choice.

And if you have a sweet tooth try the 5100 Red Cake.

Both are bulk blends and are pretty easy on the wallet.

Cheers,

RR
These as well as Dan's Milonga, all nice Va's and the Milonga is a nice, nice Va based aro as well :p

joemelon":8rhmnzww said:
I'm going to throw in Orlik Golden Sliced, it's a Virginia flake, so mild nicotine content. You'll get to experience and experiment with flakes, it's inexpensive and it's not strong flavor wise. Really mellow, bright taste. They both have citrus notes that pop in and out during the smoke (at least for me) which I believe is a characteristic of the yellow/golden Virginia in it.

Dunhill Flake is similar, tasty too but more pricey.
OGS is a great introduction/transition tobacco. Tasty, priced right and smokes great right out of the tin. This is the first VA I smoked and have been buying tins to cellar ever since.

Scott

Union Square is a great tobacco.

But if you're used to aromatics, it's going to taste like hot air and nothing. The change would be like going from Heavy Metal to Bluegrass.

If you want an intensely flavorful & on-the-sweet-side tobacco, put McClelland's Dominican Glory Maduro on your list. And Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake.

Happy Hunting :D

:face:

Thank you all so much for the great suggestions! I now have ideas for what to buy for my next 'baccy order. I think I'll designate my current pipe as my "aromatic" pipe, and the new one I buy will be for non-aros. Dunno why, but it seems to make sense to me (and is an excuse to buy more pipes). 8)

Rob_In_MO":05j7sgm6 said:
Dan Tobacco's Milonga.
Milonga is awesome, and FM will always get my nod like so many others. Milonga is a Va/Aro mix.

Big_Tex":fo4lmt79 said:
loneredtree":fo4lmt79 said:

Thanks for the recommendations! Yeah, I think I got the sipping down pretty well. Haven't been bit yet but then again I haven't put anything particularly hairy-chested and strong in the pipe yet.
Tobac doesn't have to be hairy chested and strong to chomp your tongue like a rabid wolf. Some of the mildest can tear hell out of your mouth. MacB Virginia #1 is one of those for me.