Noob Milestone

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddy13

Reaction score
I've only been smoking for roughly a month and I wouldn't even call it 'smoking', more like trying to get the pipe lit and stay lit. Last night was the first time I was able to keep it going with a few relights and smoke it completely. I didn't have very much white ash, just black. I used a mix of PA and some Tobacco Galleria Vanilla, which didn't taste all that well, but this was a major step. Looking forward to refining my technique and exposing myself to some new tobaccos in another month or so. Right now I am working through the PA, which I like, and CBW which I'm still unsure of- I'm assuming once I continue becoming proficient the tobaccos will smoke and taste different. I'm thinking of possibly staying with Burleys for awhile and not bounce back and forth so I can develop a sense of 'taste' and a baseline of sorts to work from.

Also, a big thanks to all those who took the time to 'answer' my recent Intro posting..

Congrats on clearing that first hurdle..It seems that once you get your basic technique down, the pipe world really starts to open up.

I see pipe smoking as an art of learning, there's never enough to absorb! As soon as you think you've got it down pat, there's other doors that open up, this is one of the things I find most enjoyable about this hobby of ours. It never gets old or dull, always something new around the corner!

Cograts. Stay persistent. To this day, I still find the uber-finicky blend that challenges me to keep it lit with each puff.

i think keeping the pipe lit throughout the whole smoking cycle isn't really important. that you enjoy every moment you dedicate to smoking is. imho.

Congrats on your milestone. Don't worry too much about it just enjoy your pipe and tobacco. Stick with it and you will be rewarded with a lifetime of restful and pensive moments.

You will also find that the blend can have much to say about how much white ash it will be willing to produce so don't stress over it. The drier the blend the more apt it is to deliver the white ash. It is not surprising that your aromatic mix did not yield the white ash you expected. Try some straight virginia or virginia/perique blends when you get a chance and smoke them slowly. You will find these types of blends lend themselves more readily to a white ash finish but again, more importantly than anything else, no worries, just relax and enjoy.

Lou

With my experience, I have noticed that my efficiency with the pack, the tamp and keeping the pipe in my mouth is what will help me keep my pipes lit. In the short time I have been enjoying pipe smoking, I have become better at those things and have had more success with keeping the pipe smoking well.

Overall, its about enjoyment to me and that way I continue learning! It is continuing cycle!

Here is something I posted. I have only only been smoking for a little bit as well, I started the end of february. I think its very appropriate to your situation. The one other thing not listed below is making sure you dry out your tobacco enough.

What I learned from the slow smoking pipe competition

Being a new smoker and doing what I consider to be frequent relights, I was very surprised to have one a local slow pipe smoking competition. Going into the competition I was assured with the fact that I would be the first person out and would be lucky to make it to the 5 minute mark, never mind 42 minutes without having to relight. While I may not be ready for the international's, winning this competition did teach me a thing or two about the most refined method of tobacco ignition known to man.

Too hell with your light bowl packing - After reading so many things on how to properly pack a bowl, I was scared to death of packing the bowl too tight. My caution of not overpacking was to the point where I was packing it too loosely. Article after article dictates that we have to always pack lightly, being careful to never over pack. To this I say rubbish.

When I got my standard issue pipe and 3gs of tobacco, I found that I could not fit all the "baccy" in the bowl. This is while all of the other contestants were happily packing in and fitting it all snugly into the pipe. What I found was that my normal pack was just too light. I took a note from these guys, kept my first two loads as is and then tamped the hell out of the 3rd pack until I the bowl was filled to the same level as everyone else, about the 3/4 of a bowl mark. Next thing you know, the bowl was done, and I did not need a single match after my char and true light. From that moment on, my 3rd pack will always be a very good compression, but will keep the first two relatively light.

Practice keeping that bowl lit- I truly believe that before you will truly be able to enjoy the full offering of pipe smoking you will have to know how to keep a bowl lit. My suggestion, practice and really focus on keeping the pipe going without any relights. I am not talking about making this a normal habit, but if you dedicate a couple of bowls to letting the bowl get hot and getting some mouth bite, you will learn valuable lessons on how to manage your bowl with tamping and stoking that you will never get from reading and article. Yes, the tobacco will taste horrible and your mouth will be numb but I guarantee it will be a learning experience. After a couple successful attempts, stop worrying about it and embrace a relight or two while enjoying your tobacco at a slower and cooler pace. The knowledge you learned from smoking your bowl to the bottom will help in your normal smoking routine.

Pipe smoking is about enjoyment, not competition - While I was very happy to take home a trophy, and a new Savinelli pipe, I did not enjoy the actual bowl of tobacco. The routine act of smoking is for relaxation and enjoyment. Don't be embarrassed about how many times your relight, or if your not getting the full flavor from you favor bowl of Frog Morton. Instead, just sit back, sip that smoke, relax and enjoy the experience.