NooB's Little Collection: what do i do with the new one?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noreaster

Reaction score
So, here are my there pipes. The little one is the one that cam in my mail-order "starter pack". It's a Dr. Grabow Duke. Having not so much as laid eyes on a real pipe in decades all I was left with after I got it was the odd sensation that pipes were smaller than I had remembered them being! It was even smaller than the MM Legend that I had picked up. The "big one" was a basket pipe that I got from a local Cigar shop. It has absolutely no markings on it at all. Do any of you have any thoughts what it might be? There is no fill on it that I can see and the bit firs quite tightly into the shank.

So far I have been using the little Grabow for Aromatics and the cob for "every thing else". Almost all of these smokes have been some sort of OTC pouch. Now I have the "normal' sized one and I don't know what I should smoke out of it!

photo-44.jpg

Smoke WHATEVER YOU WANT in it :p For me, aro's tend to smoke wetter than usual in a full bent so I wouldn't smoke 'em in that one. But that's for me, you need to decide for yourself and give whatever you want a try and see how it goes! :p

The big one does not appear to be briar from the grain. Maybe pear wood?

It could still easily be briar. I've seen WAY plainer briar than that. Why do you think it was in the basket? It makes no difference what the wood looks like. If it smokes well, you make a stellar deal. If it doesn't...paint it black and orange and smoke it on Halloween.

I smoked it once and it was as good as any thing else that I have, with isn't much really.... I read up on Pearwood and is is supposed to be warmer to the touch when smoking but I didn't find that with this pipe. However, I am suspect because the store it was in is a cigar store. they have a few tins of tobacco and a bunch of these same pipes in the basket. If you ask the "pipe guy" he sends you away to a different store! Oddly, this small chain has their own like of house-blend pipe tobaccos. I'm looking into a few budget pipe options right now and hope to have a couple full-sized, real briar pipes before too long.

I like the shape. It has a good looking finish. If it smokes well ... it's a win !

Thanks Steveaux, although I assume that you are referring to the MM on the bottom! I DO like that big one no matter what it's made from though. After the disappointment in the Dr.G's size I really like the shape and heft of it. I'll be smoking it when I get home for sure!

Does your bigger pipe have any markings? I'm inclined to think it is briar.

For the little one - use it for times when you don't have as much time to smoke.

no. not a single marking of any sort. what are your thoughts as to why it WOULD be briar (or any other wood for that matter).

Noreaster":x4uyzvil said:
Thanks Steveaux, although I assume that you are referring to the MM on the bottom! I DO like that big one no matter what it's made from though. After the disappointment in the Dr.G's size I really like the shape and heft of it. I'll be smoking it when I get home for sure!
While I am a Cob Snob, heh, I was referring to your big briar.

Load it, light it, & love it, Brother !

Well...I'd guess it was briar...because it's a pipe and pipes are usually made from briar. That may seem idiotic, but it actually does hold up. I mean, there's no markings on it cause some company likely didn't want to put their name on it. That would be due to either flaws of one kind or another or substandard (meaning, not real pretty) briar wood...and then putting a stamp or two or three on it just makes the manufacturing more expensive. And so they let it go as a 'basket pipe' and didn't put any manufacturing steps in it they didn't have to so as to keep the cost down. And since briar is the wood that surrounds the pipe making industry, I'd think it was briar.

What else could it be? Well, I'd want to look at the grain and ray pattern more closely to really give it a call...but pipes are sometimes made from Cherry (which has a nice flavor)...perhaps most likely Maple. And that's not just the Ozark version things put out by the folks at the Missouri Meer place. There ARE others out there I think. Maple particularly would lend itself of a machine made manufacuting process as it's so even and all.

But if you think about how it got into the basket on top of the counter at your local shop...it wouldn't have been via some little craftsperson or a cottage industry shop or whatever. Those things are made in factories, machine carved, etc. where some machine carves something like ten or twenty at a time. Then they are shipped out across the country to shops that have little baskets on top of some counter. I'd guess they were distributed by the same folks that send them their "in-house blands" or maybe one of the companies that supplys them with lighters, or other smoker's gear.

So...guess #1 = Briar, guess #2 = Maple, guess #3 = Cherry...then it would go downhill repaidly from there.

Again...it doesn't really matter if it's briar or not. Both Maple and Cherry smoke well, and long, and will give you good service if you do your part. I'd also guess that the worst thing about your pipe would be the stem. If it's lucite, you're lucky...which it likely is. If the stem will pass a cleaner while the pipe is together you're very fortunate. If not, try putting a little bend (about 1/8" to 1/4" of maybe 30 degrees in the end of your cleaner and insert it, bend down, into the stem and push gently til it stops. Then rotate the stem 1/8 turn and push slightly, and again, etc. until it does pass into the shank and strummel. There's likely some pattern of bend and rotation that will get it to work.

Good luck and good smoking.

(and if you want a really nice smoking MM...try this:)

http://www.marscigars.com/corncob-freehand.aspx

It wouldn't be surprising if nr. 1 was one of the Chinese ones that infest the Flea Bay pipe listings. The likelihood of it being briar is, IMHO, = 0. Still might smoke OK (?) but you might have to be more careful with it to not overheat than you would with a briar pipe. (It all burns if you get it hot enough).

What to you smoke in the little one ? I'd recommend a Virginia flake.

:face:

A Chinese non-briar would have a hard time finding it's way to your local B&M, given the way they are marketed over here.

Regardless of YAK's wild and crazy opinion...the ACTUAL liklihood of it being briar is 68.4%.

You could always ASK the guys at the place you got it, if you drop in there again...ask them what the pipes were represented to them as being...maybe where they got them...what was the identity of the middleman, etc. You'd be surprised, they're likely to gladly provide all the details you're looking for to a 'return customer', as it's to their advantage.

Noreaster":snqlkigr said:
I smoked it once and it was as good as any thing else that I have, with isn't much really.... I read up on Pearwood and is is supposed to be warmer to the touch when smoking but I didn't find that with this pipe. However, I am suspect because the store it was in is a cigar store. they have a few tins of tobacco and a bunch of these same pipes in the basket. If you ask the "pipe guy" he sends you away to a different store! Oddly, this small chain has their own like of house-blend pipe tobaccos. I'm looking into a few budget pipe options right now and hope to have a couple full-sized, real briar pipes before too long.
WOAH!!! everyone missed a real opportunity here! :affraid:
Brother before you buy another basket pipe at your cigar store look here
http://vikingclubpipes.bigcartel.com/
you can get an awesome pipe for the same price as a basket pipe at a cigar store
I keeping saying cigar store because that's what it is you shopped at. I ran into the same issue when I started smoking pipes, (and my first buy was a pear pipe which smokes perfectly fine even if the top has burned a little) if someone had shown me this site and sold me a hand full of cobs I'd have saved a lot of hassle.
Also check here http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/dept?dpt=F&srch=DF&tier2=105 to see if any if these sound like what your stores "house blends" are that could help you find out what you are actually smoking. I've found a lot of "House Blends" end up being Altadis tobacco
hope this helps you find out what is the right smoke for you. but as soon as you find the "right" one another will come along.
If you look around on BoB you'll find Viking Club Pipes pops up a lot, totally legit to purchase from, he makes a post here when he updates the site.

and just when I told myself I wasn't buying any more pipes.... (i Have added two more cobs, an estate and a Viking Clasic briars).