nooooo!!!!!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam a

Reaction score
i'm so angry :(

IMG_0786.JPG

it's a ben wade from back when ben wade made 'em... i'll get it fixed for sure. but for now... i steam :x

sam a":tf55xkdb said:
it's a ben wade from back when ben wade made 'em... i'll get it fixed for sure. but for now... i steam :x
what happened? Drop it or pulled oput the stem hot or what? Thats a real bummer man.

OUCH! :no: :no: :no:

I'm sorry, man.... I wouldn't even wish that on my worst enemies.

I'm sure you have the sympathy of everyone in the forums on this one! Best of luck with the repair

That stinks. Keep us posted. I dropped one of my Upshalls at the polishing wheel, but did a "kick save" with my foot..........whew, no damage. Careful Jones, careful...

There is a good lesson here. Sam, not saying you did this, but it sure looks like the kind of damage from a history of improper stem removal at some point in this poor pipe's past. Talking with a few gents who have done some repairs, it suggests that if the stem is removed when hot and/or moist, especially right after smoking, small fissures and cracks can form toward the end of the shank--especially if the motion to do it was repeated day after day, smoke after smoke... suddenly, a day comes, could even be years down the road, when suddenly...

...yeah. Let pipes cool, let 'em dry, twist stems evenly, pull gently.

I usually let my pipes sit for a few days before I take them apart and clean them. I really like cleanliness in all things. It does make me wonder, since some brothers don't even take pipes apart (or all that often) in their routines if I might adopt a similar notion. Certain pipes of mine collect moisture, however, and get a little funky. *shrug*

It's a disturbing sight I hope I don't have to see in person. I'm sorry this happened, Sam, I hope it can be fixed. :(

8)

Kyle Weiss":j0psi1od said:
I usually let my pipes sit for a few days before I take them apart and clean them.
Really, Kyle, a few days?I normally wait a couple hours and that's it. A few days seems a little extreme but then again I my be creating fissures as we speak so now you've made me just paranoid enough to wait a day or two haha

Hater":82pcadz9 said:
Kyle Weiss":82pcadz9 said:
I usually let my pipes sit for a few days before I take them apart and clean them.
Really, Kyle, a few days?I normally wait a couple hours and that's it. A few days seems a little extreme but then again I my be creating fissures as we speak so now you've made me just paranoid enough to wait a day or two haha
There's a reason for this, at least for my pipes, and it's because of moisture. I smoke a bit wetter than most. The ashen gray that coats the bowls post-smoke often gets black with moisture that naturally comes down through an upturned stem. That takes a good 24 hours (if not more) to evaporate, even in Nevada humidity (which is low, in case you were wondering) and turn from black to gray again in the bowl. I assume that the air circulation is likely less inside the stem, and probably less still in places where there's just enough gap to allow moisture to collect. With that in mind, moisture (or lack thereof) will contract and expand natural fibers (like briar). The stems will "reset" their position in the shank, and theoretically, dry out back to their original position. I'd prove this theory by neurotically taking apart the pipe and discover at what point the moisture truly has dried, but that would be only by eyeballing it, and I'd also be taking apart the pipe when I probably shouldn't. :lol: So, I rotate them out, get about four or five sitting "dirty," then when the last pipe has had about 48 hours of dry time, I break 'em all down and clean 'em. I use a cob for the last day of sitting, because those I'm not as concerned about a wet shank, so they all truly get a good "sit" before they get the (roughly weekly) duty.

This is just an amalgamation of thought, logic, talk with other pipesters and excerpts from books (Ehwa/Hacker). There's a bit of assumption and faith that this method might actually preserve my pipe. Will it? I don't know. It's just my theory and understanding of things, you can do what you wish with your pipes. No paranoia necessary.

8)

Kyle Weiss":oos5yd7a said:
Hater":oos5yd7a said:
Kyle Weiss":oos5yd7a said:
There's a reason for this, at least for my pipes, and it's because of moisture. I smoke a bit wetter than most. The ashen gray that coats the bowls post-smoke often gets black with moisture that naturally comes down through an upturned stem. That takes a good 24 hours (if not more) to evaporate, even in Nevada humidity (which is low, in case you were wondering) and turn from black to gray again in the bowl. I assume that the air circulation is likely less inside the stem, and probably less still in places where there's just enough gap to allow moisture to collect. With that in mind, moisture (or lack thereof) will contract and expand natural fibers (like briar). The stems will "reset" their position in the shank, and theoretically, dry out back to their original position. I'd prove this theory by neurotically taking apart the pipe and discover at what point the moisture truly has dried, but that would be only by eyeballing it, and I'd also be taking apart the pipe when I probably shouldn't. :lol: So, I rotate them out, get about four or five sitting "dirty," then when the last pipe has had about 48 hours of dry time, I break 'em all down and clean 'em. I use a cob for the last day of sitting, because those I'm not as concerned about a wet shank, so they all truly get a good "sit" before they get the (roughly weekly) duty.

This is just an amalgamation of thought, logic, talk with other pipesters and excerpts from books (Ehwa/Hacker). There's a bit of assumption and faith that this method might actually preserve my pipe. Will it? I don't know. It's just my theory and understanding of things, you can do what you wish with your pipes. No paranoia necessary.

8)
well, regardless you have convinced me. I will now do the same. Bravo sir, and thanks!

Hater":vql6u31c said:
Kyle Weiss":vql6u31c said:
You'd really feel weird if you followed what I have done for all these years :p I smoke on the average 4/5 pipes a day and with 84 pipes available to me, this allows 16 days between a pipe repeating in the line-up so to speak. I normally take the most recently smoked dozen and once a month take them apart and ream, clean completely and back in the rack they go. I usually put a cleaner in the pipe when done, after blowing thru the stem, wipe the outside, put a bit of Obsidian Oil on the bit, let it sit for about 30 minutes, wipe the oil off and take the cleaner out and put the pipe back in the rack. I NEVER pull a stem off a just smoked pipe until it has rested for 48 hours, NEVER. Even when I had fewer pipes, I followed the same routine. It's worked for many years now ( I won't say how many, it bothers Kyle, but it's more than he's been on the planet :p ) and my pipes don't get "gunkey" nor smell and I've been able to not break a tennon/stem yet. ( there's always a first time for EVERYTHING :p ) . I have dropped a pipe on the concrete and broken a stem before and it does suck !!

monbla256":q6kqzpgz said:
Even when I had fewer pipes, I followed the same routine. It's worked for many years now ( I won't say how many, it bothers Kyle, but it's more than he's been on the planet :p )
So how many years has it been exactly? :D

Rob_In_MO":q43v8tnk said:
monbla256":q43v8tnk said:
Even when I had fewer pipes, I followed the same routine. It's worked for many years now ( I won't say how many, it bothers Kyle, but it's more than he's been on the planet :p )
So how many years has it been exactly? :D
More than you also :p

Yak":twtfxpr7 said:
Precision Pipe Repair & Restoration.

:face:
that would be my choice, but last i heard he is still out of commission. i've got a couple of old petes that need to be de- p-liped that i want to send to him too.