Nording and VA Flakes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiderwarde

Reaction score
So, I am in the process of unloading some old pipes in order to afford a new, "the one" pipe (I do not suffer from the common disorder, but suffer instead an idealist dream of the one, true pipe, till death do us part forsaking all others). I've done my homework, and I think a Nording might fit the bill: I respect a guy who builds his own building machines and I've come to appreciate the importance of an open draft.

However, I do have one concern: I am exclusively a VA smoker, especially flakes. I smoke these flakes mostly in Sebastian Beos, which are itty bitty pipes. I'd rather not hallucinate from nicotine overdoses when I want to enjoy my Nording.
Can anyone speak to this concern? Any experiences with VAs in Nordings? Advise?

(Also, nobody buy any Nordings for a week or so, because I have my eye on about all of them :joker: )

Personally and not saying I'm any kind of expert because I'm the farthest thing from it.
There are many VA's that have high content of nic and some that don't. I have never
experienced a higher nic kick out of tobacco because I smoked it in a larger bowl.
Although there are some tobaccos out there that I believe should be smoked in smaller
bowls to enjoy all the flavors and nuances such as Esoterica's, as always that's just
my personal opinion. ;)

Agree with Ron. I have a very large Savinelli and one very small Big-Ben. And of course, 68 other pipes in between. No difference as far as I'm concerned.

Just keep in mind that when you fill a large pipe, it's gonna take a very long time to finish that bowl. If you're not going to finish it in one sitting, it might eventually go sour on you after a couple of relights.

I do not dig Nordings, I like good looking pipes :twisted:

Personally, I'm against it. But I've also eliminated all freehands from my collection so maybe it's the pipe style and not the combination that bothers me. I do have three inexpensive Nordings in more traditional shapes. I like the inexpensive more traditional Nordings. They seem a good value and nice smokers. Although, I have also seen many of their lower end pipes with flaws. So I only recommend them with the caveat that you personally inspect it before purchase. Or if an online purchase, inspect before smoking and return if necessary. I wouldn't purchase one online if I wasn't capable of and willing to return it. I'm not excited about purchasing a pipe online with a relatively high expectation of returning it so a cheap online Nording is not in my future. The three I have and love were purchased at B&M shops. Just my personal opinion here. Disregard as you see fit.

So, a friend loaned me his Hackert to try out (he's a good friend), which has a chamber about the size of your average Nording and I loaded it half way--not even--with Gawith Best Brown. Holy smoke, billows upon billows and the first nic'ed-out feeling I've ever experienced. There's simply too much pipe there. The flavor was overwhelmed by my huffing on it like the climax in a Springsteen song. It's not working for me and my flakes.
I'm looking at Luciano now.

Anybody have any experience with the new Lucianos released on Smokingpipes? I read up on them and they sound pretty great. Of course, that would mean the industry carves another $25 out of my wallet, but hey, a good pipe is worth that.

If you find that a bigger bowl gives you a nic rush, then I think you need to not look at factory pipes, but more towards one of BoB's own. Read about our resident pipe makers and what their specialties are. Talk to them and find out if they can do what you are looking for. I personally own a Growley, several Briar Spirit Pipes, and *soon* a Piersel 2014 POTY. I can tell you that they will listen to your requests and work with you to make EXACTLY the pipe you are looking for. They are a worthwhile investment if you are looking for "The One"