Nording Carve Your Own

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tweaksource

Reaction score
So I decided to order a Carve-your own pipe kit. I picked the Nording kit from Pipes and Cigars because of the cool stem and I figured it would be a quality blank.

I got the nordCYOBENTx19.

I used only simple hand tools: a saw, rasp, a couple of pocket knives, and sand paper.

Aside from the fact that with these tools briar may as well be marble, everything went pretty well.

It turns out to be the best smoking pipe I have.

After about 12 hours here's the result.

I sandblasted it with a fine sand and rubbed it with a light grapeseed oil.

good job. i have 2 pipes i made from nording blocks and they smoke great. nording knows how to drill the draft hole.

Thanks, and yes they do. it comes out significantly lower and more centered than most of my other pipes.

I will definitely be getting more of them.

Very cool. How many hours did it take you to finally get it to a point where you were happy with it?

Harlock999":ympxlmir said:
Wish I had the gumption to try something like that!

maybe we should have a pipe carving contest,,,,?????,,,,,thoughts?

I'd probably lose a finger, and thus jeopardize my career as a mediocre guitarist...

mark":ymsok0h5 said:
Harlock999":ymsok0h5 said:
Wish I had the gumption to try something like that!

maybe we should have a pipe carving contest,,,,?????,,,,,thoughts?
sounds like a plan!

a small entrance fee that would contribute towards a prize for the winner, determined by a simple poll. that would be great! might even turn into a tradition on this board.

but then, I would not be able to participate until I get home for the summer which is still months away... that's the real price you pay for education! :x

Harlock999":uqrk9ll1 said:
I'd probably lose a finger, and thus jeopardize my career as a mediocre guitarist...
you might carve with your feet for extra safety ;)

MartinH":j4neldut said:
Very cool. How many hours did it take you to finally get it to a point where you were happy with it?
Martin, taking off the big chunks with hand tools took about 4 or 5 hours. I don't have a vise at home, so work went a good deal slower there than on my lunch breaks at work (2 days @ 1 hour each).

Shaping took another couple of hours.

I'll say another 2 or 3 for sanding, piddling, and sandblasting.

The next one should go a bit faster since I have collected some tools and have an idea of what I'm doing now.

Needless to say, I now have a greater appreciation for the price of hand carved pipes!

good work man, everyone has to start somhwere, Im almost done with my first one. Ill post up some pics when Im done. I took some video of the process so far, its fun Ive enjoyed it. Ill def. be making some more.....and yes a new appreciation for hand carved pies and their price has been gained for sure

Congratulations! :cheers: :cheers:

Well done for sticking at it with a minimum of tools and coming out with a great result.

Fraternally

Jers