Nording freehands, anyone own one?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Konrad_von_Marburg

Reaction score
Just bought a beautiful burgundy freehand from smokingpipes.com

Anyone have any of these freehands? This one is only grade 3 but it was still about 100 bucks and it looks really nice with the burgundy imo. Do they smoke ok?

I have never had a Nording. As far as smokeability goes I understand that the handmade lines tend to smoke better than the lower grade production run pipes. However I firmly believe you can find a gem in any pipe line. Sometimes the stars line up just right and you will find a great smoker in the lowest of pipe lines. I have had old Medico pipes that have been great smokes. It happens. I don't know much about the Nording grading system but the burgundy finish certainly is becoming. I hope you enjoy your new pipe.

Jim

huffelpuff":miq2og1i said:
I have never had a Nording. As far as smokeability goes I understand that the handmade lines tend to smoke better than the lower grade production run pipes. However I firmly believe you can find a gem in any pipe line. Sometimes the stars line up just right and you will find a great smoker in the lowest of pipe lines. I have had old Medico pipes that have been great smokes. It happens. I don't know much about the Nording grading system but the burgundy finish certainly is becoming. I hope you enjoy your new pipe.

Jim
Thanks Jim. This one is just so beautiful imo. It comes with a Vulcanite stem which I know requires a bit of loving care to keep from oxidizing. Still, I'm excited to receive it. :)

Now that I really think of it my brother in Texas has a Nording. As I recall he thinks the world of his. Oh and not a thing wrong with vulcanite. It might be a bit more effort but I find its well worth it.

Jim

I purchased an estate Nording Freehand. The price was good and it was a great smoke, very large pipe. The pipe was balanced so it would sit, base was not more than .75" and the bowl depth was 1.75". It would sit with or without tobacco in it. If the stem was removed it would not balance. It was a nice pipe and a good smoke but I traded it off. I don't smoke pipes that size very much.

I have a Nording freehand that I bought without stain - just naked. I bought it in the eighties and it was definitely a mass produced pipe. It was one of the "signature" series way back when and it was fairly cheap as pipes went then. She's a big chunk of wood, with a deep bowl, and has a pleasant heft to it. That pipe and I have contemplated many a quiet hour. Over the years it has darkened into a lovely deep brown color (I'm lousy with wood types so...maybe walnut?). It's still one of my favorite pipes and usually the one I choose when I have a big problem to think about. Your experience may be different, but I love mine!

I have a Signature that Erik was kind enough to sign with a woodburning tool and he left a personal note on it. It has never given me a bad smoke in the last 12 years. Even though it's a large pipe, it's quite light for the size, and very well balanced.

Russ

I had a signature cherrywood that my son destroyed some few years back. I loved that pipe, I miss it sometimes. Definitely worth the money