Nording Keystone Pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotties22

Reaction score
I was just at my B&M picking something up for Heath and ran across these.  Do any of you have one?  What do you think?  I'm curious if the rocks actually do anything or is this just a gimmick?

Keystone Pipes

Just my personal opinion, not owning one but, just my observation be it worth anything
to anyone else other then myself. It's a fairly inexpensive pipe but, I could see where the absorbent properties of the clay would stave off moisture and gurgle.
But, then again if a pipe is engineered properly and the smoker is educated in the proper
way to smoke a pipe I see no need for it and is just an added expense and trouble to endure. I personally would not waste my money or time with such a pipe.
But, also knowing how some aromatics and other blends can really gunk up a pipe I can see where some might get value out of the clay absorbent. That's my 2 cents in today's economy ;)

When I was starting with aros years ago, I used those keystones at the bottom of a briar, and they did help a good bit. Don't know about the pipes.

Simple Man is selling one for a great price with keystones in his sale thread.

Wow. Now that's an odd looking pipe. Not sure I could have one of those on the rack...

The Keystones are supposedly very porous and will soak up moisture in the heel of the bowl. They also keep the draught hole from getting blocked by a loose piece of tobacco. They've been around for a long time, but the pipe is a new product.

I've tried using regular pebbles as a grate before, but those won't absorb the moisture the way Keystones do.

MisterE":3oom2rrf said:
The Keystones are supposedly very porous and will soak up moisture in the heel of the bowl. They also keep the draught hole from getting blocked by a loose piece of tobacco. They've been around for a long time, but the pipe is a new product.

I've tried using regular pebbles as a grate before, but those won't absorb the moisture the way Keystones do.
Just drop some kitty litter in the heel of your bowl "E" and go for it.

Cartaphilus":jcmhyk48 said:
MisterE":jcmhyk48 said:

Now there's a thought!! :lol!:

MisterE":6kkiat2m said:
Cartaphilus":6kkiat2m said:
MisterE":6kkiat2m said:

Now there's a thought!! :lol!:
Blech!

:silent:

Cheers,

RR

I bought one of these a month ago at a B&M as they were on clearance. I don't like the pipe, but the keystones really work well. I have dropped a few of the stones in a briar and they do the job well. It helps when it is super humid out where I am.

The one thing I noticed, however, is that the keystones do change the taste of the baccy, but not in a bad way. I notice the most change in an aro. I think this is because the stones absorb the flavors from the smoke more. However, after about a half bowl, the flavor is not absorbed as much and can actually get to the ole tastebuds in mostly full force. I prefer to use the stones on straight (non aro)blends when ambient humidity is a problem.

As far as the pipe, goes, I think it is fine for a beginner, but I really don't like the fit or idea of the plastic base and stem. I much prefer my briars and good ole vulcanite stems. The pipes are light though. It makes a great beater pipe, and the base is easy to wash out with hot water, making cleanup a snap.

Thanks guys. I was more curious than anything. They had the rocks in stock but were sold out of the pipes. Apparently they can't keep them in stock. They have been selling 15 a week for over a month now. It's a head scratcher for me, but there you go.

I've got one. I like it. The keystones work great. I got mine a few months ago and I now have to order more stones.