Normative Pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiley coyote

Reaction score
I'm betting that most of us have a pipe that is the normative pipe in our collection, the pipe that typifies the pipes we smoke. All (most) our pipes are, in some way, versions of that pipe. Mine is a Peterson I bought in college, twenty-five years ago. What's yours?
100_0610.jpg

Mine is also a Peterson donegal rocky Dublin shape (120) bought in 1998 when I was but a Junior at Auburn University.
And thus began my love affair with Dublins.

85%-90% of my pipes are some variation of a bent billiard or dublin type shape. Mostly on the large size.

Nice looking billiard JustPipes. A far cry from the Kaywoodies of my youth.

I don't have a shape per se, but the pipes that I started with besides really low grade ones were Peterson with the Donegal series being my choice.

My dear wife dug out a meer bowled gourd calabash buried in the bottom of a box of junk in the basement. I bought it around 82 and thought it was long gone. It was my favorite smoker then and it is right now.

I won this Orlik yesterday. To me it's the epitome of a classic billiard - the shape I love most.

AA4783P0585F01.jpg

For me, it's a straight pot, or a thick-walled billiard. Something about a good stout briar equals "pipe" in my mind. All of my first pipes were of that base, and I keep returning to them.

How do Orlik pipes smoke? I've never even seen one "in person". --Great looking billiard!

WC - Never smoked an Orlik before but have heard good things about them. Guess they're kind of on a par with old GBD's, Comoys etc. But my experience has been that old wood smokes well (in most cases).

I have too much variance to say there's any consistency in my small stable of pipes (~20 ish plus cobs). The general trend is more classic styles rather than modern or unusual shapes, but that's hardly a normative standard, is it?

-Andrew