Noske Pot

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schacht

Reaction score
This is one of my favourite Smokers. Unless it´s a smaller pipe (only 28 grams), it stays cool and has a very nice flavour. It was my first Noske-Pipe, a surprise to me at the time.

_SCH1753_web.jpg

_SCH1752_web.jpg

_SCH1755_web.jpg

_SCH1754_web.jpg

_SCH1757_web.jpg
Nontheless Noske always refused to apply any gradings to his pipes, some know-it-all-pipe-trader subsequently stamped a "D" into the stem. Not that it bothers me at all, but Noske seemed to be pretty angry about it, when he saw that last pic.

These photos are beautiful! The lighting is perfect (and the pipe is very nice too!). I have not heard of this carver.
Welcome, and thank you for posting!

Awesome pipe... i love the grain and the shape, it's got nice clean lines and simple.... 2 Thumbs up!!!

Thanks a lot for the kind comments. I´m really happy when someone likes the photos.

Of Course- by taking a look at some of the pipes shown in here, I assumed there must be some people who do appreciate the essential shapes, and quality in craftsmanship.

Thats really marvelous to me, because here, where I live, those simple qualities aren´t appreciated that much at the time. Many freehand-carvers are trying to gain the attention of an audience, that seems to focus on making an outstanding bargain instead of quality, by creating sometimes almost ridiculous ornaments on shapes, that I find implausible.

So, thanks as well for showing all your Billards, Pokers, Bulldogs and so on - watching them is really a pleasure to me.

Schacht":wl2q319u said:
Thanks a lot for the kind comments. I´m really happy when someone likes the photos.

Of Course- by taking a look at some of the pipes shown in here, I assumed there must be some people who do appreciate the essential shapes, and quality in craftsmanship.

Thats really marvelous to me, because here, where I live, those simple qualities aren´t appreciated that much at the time. Many freehand-carvers are trying to gain the attention of an audience, that seems to focus on making an outstanding bargain instead of quality, by creating sometimes almost ridiculous ornaments on shapes, that I find implausible.

So, thanks as well for showing all your Billards, Pokers, Bulldogs and so on - watching them is really a pleasure to me.
I agree with you completely!
To me, a perfectly executed bulldog or billiard is much more satisfying than an outlandish "art" pipe. While I believe those artistic creations can certainly be impressive and definitely have their place in the pipe world, I tend to compare them with some of the unique designs that can often be seen at fashion shows. Clothing that looks unwearable and pipes that seem unsmokable seem to share something in common, at least for me. That they are showcases for an artist's talent is undeniable, but I'm much happier looking at pieces that represent extremely well crafted simplicity. Luckily for us, it's a big world, and we can all find our own happiness. Wearing my Levi's jeans and Adidas, and smoking a nice pipe make me happy!

Yes, Harlock999,

that´s all about style and good taste. Otherwise there are some carvers who combine an unique style, and plausible innovations. Some got it - and others are still trying.

Unfortunately for me, the usual closefistedness here in Germany has created an inconvenient situation for some of us. Several great companies and famous carvers deliver their best pieces for instance to the Netherlands, UK, France, Italy, Russia (of course), and first of all the US. Possibly that´s why it´s not that easy to get a really nice Dunhill, or one of the truly spectacular Castellos at the local Pipe-Store*. It took me about one year to find the last Dunhill I bought - but it was worth the trouble and I´m really happy with it.

*But I must say, over all there are more pipes on the market than ever, most of them mediocre quality and many carvers are moaning about the situation behind closed doors.

Schacht":eaohgwh3 said:
Yes, Harlock999,

that´s all about style and good taste. Otherwise there are some carvers who combine an unique style, and plausible innovations. Some got it - and others are still trying.

Unfortunately for me, the usual closefistedness here in Germany has created an inconvenient situation for some of us. Several great companies and famous carvers deliver their best pieces for instance to the Netherlands, UK, France, Italy, Russia (of course), and first of all the US. Possibly that´s why it´s not that easy to get a really nice Dunhill, or one of the truly spectacular Castellos at the local Pipe-Store*. It took me about one year to find the last Dunhill I bought - but it was worth the trouble and I´m really happy with it.

*But I must say, over all there are more pipes on the market than ever, most of them mediocre quality and many carvers are moaning about the situation behind closed doors.
You may have to add China to the list soon, as I've heard that that is a fast growing market, and some carvers are already directing their products over there. If Castellos are not readily available in Germany, to me, it sounds like a very good excuse to take a holiday in Italy... 8)

Absolutely right. It´s a littel more than 600 Miles to the Lake Como from here. It´s a shame that I didn´t visit Cantù so far…

Schacht":g1yogvlr said:
Absolutely right. It´s a littel more than 600 Miles to the Lake Como from here. It´s a shame that I didn´t visit Cantù so far…
I would stop in Bozen for a nice meal and some rest in the mountains!

Absolutely! This would be literally a gourmet tour - Bozen and than a nice turn to visit Udine (great gammon, unbelievable Tokaji-wine), Brescia (got some friends there) and I´m sure my wife wants to visit Milano (everyone can imagine, what a woman wants in Milano).
It will be a decision, that has to be quite carfully considered, if she get´s to Milano before or after we visited Cantù.

Thanks, thanks, thanks - for your reasonable excitation. I really think I´ll find a couple of days to make that little trip this autumn.

Schacht":wyjfaztj said:
Absolutely! This would be literally a gourmet tour - Bozen and than a nice turn to visit Udine (great gammon, unbelievable Tokaji-wine), Brescia (got some friends there) and I´m sure my wife wants to visit Milano (everyone can imagine, what a woman wants in Milano).
It will be a decision, that has to be quite carfully considered, if she get´s to Milano before or after we visited Cantù.

Thanks, thanks, thanks - for your reasonable excitation. I really think I´ll find a couple of days to make that little trip this autumn.
That's making me hungry just thinking about it! Sounds like it would be an excellent trip, you'll just need extra Euros for Milano. This is off the subject, but one of my most fondly remembered meals was in Germany on a cold, rainy day. I was traveling with a band of questionable integrity, and I was feeling a little miserable, and we stopped for food at a roadside restaurant. Wet with rain, everything on the menu looked good, but I ordered a bowl of goulash, and it was the heartiest, most satisfying thing I could have had at that moment. Spicy and hot, it really lifted my spirits!

Harlock999":qkd7qw4e said:
[…] I was traveling with a band of questionable integrity, and I was feeling a little miserable […]
Let me guess - you´re a musician too? BoB really seems to be a great place. Apparently we´re sharing some professional experiences. I (originally studied drums and percussion) stopped touring and quitted working with Bands overall about a decade ago. Life is considerably easier since I´m working as a composer.

And while I remember all the disasters travelling with a band can provoke, the "taking-my-wife-to-milano-situation" seems to be such a picnic - goodness, she´s got her own credit card and compared to a group of musicians, every woman in the world appears to be rational.

Today, I love practically all my colleagues, and if something should get difficult - smoking some Night Cap helps a lot.

Yes, I play guitar, although back then, I was primarily a bassist. I did a few tours of Europe, and even made it to Greece and Israel before deciding that that life was not for me. I still play, but infrequently. In fact, I'm off to rehearsal in a couple hours. If I can convince my band mates to join my fledgling pipe club, I can combine both of my hobbies!

Most of my colleagues are non smokers so I´m outside on breaks. Seems like we have a growing group of piping musicians here!

:cheers:

MisterE":mazpnfmn said:
Most of my colleagues are non smokers so I´m outside on breaks. Seems like we have a growing group of piping musicians here!

:cheers:
Need to get a jam session going! :cheers:

MisterE":ydayl3il said:
Most of my colleagues are non smokers […]
Same here - everybody is so heathy, it´s scaring me.
Harlock999":ydayl3il said:
Need to get a jam session going! […]
I hope to hear you guys playing. Are there some recordings you´d like to share? Maybe, we all should present something in the Music-Hall.