Noske Tanshell

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schacht

Reaction score
Dear brothers,

I just keep on showing some pipes I like. This one´s a Noske again, and if I could take five pipes with me onto a desert island, this would be on of them. The sandblasting on Noskes pipes is usually done by Tom Eltang. I hope you´ll enjoy it.

_SCH3487_web.jpg

_SCH3508_web.jpg

_SCH3505_web.jpg

_SCH3510_web.jpg

Noske Tanshell; 5,5" long; 1,6" high; 0,8" Ø; 1,3 ounces; sandblasted by Tom Eltang

This one reminds me of a Jorn Larsen that I have. It's a very similar shape, though lighter in finish. The Larsen was my first "expensive" pipe, and I never figured out how to smoke it properly, so I put it away.
I really like the detail in your nomenclature shots!

Thanks Harlock, I really appreciate your comment. Luckily the Noske is a great smoker. I like the pipe, cause it feels so solid and stable. It´s a facile smoking pleasure.

I never had one of Jørn Larsens pipes (Did you show it here? Forum-search couldn´t find a Jørn Larsen…), well - sometimes it´s not the smoker. The first time I spent a little more money on a pipe it was an Ashton estate. It smelled funny from cleaning with alcohol and salt, I smoked it a couple of times, it always gurgled, I just couldn´t smoke that pipe properly, blamed mymself at the time and at the end I surrendered. I don´t know why, but about one year later I gave another chance, loeadet it with Early Morning Pipe and - what a surprise - it smoked perfect. The next day it went even better. I don´t know why, perhaps it simply needed to aerate or maybe I just learned how to smoke a pipe meanwhile, but since then I had a lot of fun with that Apple.

Ashton_Apple.jpg

Ahton Souvereign XX Apple 1992; 5,5" long; 1,3" high; 0,8 Ø; 38 gram

Hi Schacht,
No, I've never photographed the Larsen, but I'll try to post a snapshot. I didn't give up on the pipe completely, and I think I will give it another try at some point. I'm pretty sure that in my case, inexperience and impatience were to blame. I also put some tooth marks on the stem while trying to "clench" (not for me). Oh well, live and learn!
As for gurgling, my worst pipe was an older Becker (Fritz or Paolo). That pipe smoked wetter than any I've tried. Maybe just my poor technique again...

Harlock999":cxpk5xxc said:
Found it! […]
Your Larsen is a great looking pipe, thanks for showing it. I like the horn-adornment, and the sandblast looks beautiful.
Wouldn´t it be interesting to figure out, why it doesn´t work?

Schacht":qizhq7vi said:
Harlock999":qizhq7vi said:
Found it! […]
Your Larsen is a great looking pipe, thanks for showing it. I like the horn-adornment, and the sandblast looks beautiful.
Wouldn´t it be interesting to figure out, why it doesn´t work?
I would say "user error" is probably the most likely reason...
I was reading an article yesterday about why pipes with 4mm draft holes perform better than others, and one of the advantages is supposedly reduced "gurgle" (the wet sound a pipe makes when too much moisture builds up). The Larsen tends to gurgle slightly, but the wettest pipe I've owned was an older Becker (Italian). That pipe would gurgle no matter what I did or smoked in it. I would have liked to have had it examined to find the cause.

Hope you're having a good weekend! It is hot in California right now, and I have rehearsal later in a poorly ventilated warehouse... :sunny: