Nostalgic contemplation

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serif365

Reaction score
I remember with great fondness the days of my youth when my father and many of his friends and acquaintances smoked pipes. More smoked cigarettes as was common to the day but there were enough pipe smokers that it seemed the aroma of pipe smoke ranging from homey vanilla to an occasional burrning rubber band abounded. Today I know of only one other gentleman outside of my sons that partake of the finer weed. Smokers of this generation have become a pariah restricted to the rare "smoking paddock" and I fear someday tobacco will be another black market commodity. My remaining staff at work who smoked cigarettes have now become "vapor converts" puffing their boutique nictone concoctions on little e-cigarettes.

I fully understand the perils of tobacco use, particularly cigarettes and chews, but I hope that all of the upsides I have discovered with an occasional bowl of fine, blended pipe tobacco will offset any ill effects. I think it would be irrational to want for a smoking renaissance. It would be nice to enjoy a smoke with a fellow piper at times and maybe I'll be fortunate enough to befriend such a person some day. For now I am content to contemplate a time when pipe smokers were more common and commaraderie for the sake of gentile fellowship and discourse was far removed from the texting/e-mail/asocial world of today.

I'm beginning to ramble but it's nice to get this off my chest. Wow, look at the time! Maybe just one more bowl to get the mood back on track. :)

serif365":3y8e721m said:
I remember with great fondness the days of my youth when my father and many of his friends and acquaintances smoked pipes. More smoked cigarettes as was common to the day but there were enough pipe smokers that it seemed the aroma of pipe smoke ranging from homey vanilla to an occasional burrning rubber band abounded. Today I know of only one other gentleman outside of my sons that partake of the finer weed. Smokers of this generation have become a pariah restricted to the rare "smoking paddock" and I fear someday tobacco will be another black market commodity. My remaining staff at work who smoked cigarettes have now become "vapor converts" puffing their boutique nictone concoctions on little e-cigarettes.

I fully understand the perils of tobacco use, particularly cigarettes and chews, but I hope that all of the upsides I have discovered with an occasional bowl of fine, blended pipe tobacco will offset any ill effects. I think it would be irrational to want for a smoking renaissance. It would be nice to enjoy a smoke with a fellow piper at times and maybe I'll be fortunate enough to befriend such a person some day. For now I am content to contemplate a time when pipe smokers were more common and commaraderie for the sake of gentile fellowship and discourse was far removed from the texting/e-mail/asocial world of today.

I'm beginning to ramble but it's nice to get this off my chest. Wow, look at the time! Maybe just one more bowl to get the mood back on track. :)
By the way, back in the days of drive in movies I was parked with my girl of the day. She said, "Would you lke to get in the back seat?" I said, "No, I'd rather stay up here with you!"

Monbla should be along any moment now. The trap is set..... :geek: