Not all that impressed

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Ryder

Reaction score
I was looking at "Tobacco Reviews" website a while ago, and decided to give a few Boswell areo's. that had high ratings a try. It must be me, but none of them did much for me taste wise, altho my wife seemed to appreciate the aromas. So the hunt goes on....still trying to find my blend.
That said, my first two tins, Balkin Sasini and Presb. seem to have lost there overwhelming taste (to me) and have mellowed and have become a more enjoyable smoke. So maybe English blends are what I should be experimenting with....... More on that later.

Yep, I have had it with aro's too. Great room note, but (to me) it just tastes like hot chemical gloop.

Now, a bowl of Squadron Leader is a thing of beauty :) Presbyterian Mixture is nice, but I don't seem to be able to keep it lit :(

I generally find the first few puffs of an aromatic to be enjoyable. After that blech!

Definitely agree on the Lat blends though I'm developing more and more appreciation for Va/VaPer blends.

Currently I'm in the process of trying to de-ghost a pipe that I used for aromatics and I'm finding the process somewhat painful.

Thomas Tkach":8hef5ind said:
So maybe English blends are what I should be experimenting with.
+1

Also check out VAPer blends!
Soooo, could you enlighten a NOOB about "VAPer" I have seen this word used however, I'm in the dark as to what it is.

Red Ryder":5kxa5rge said:
Thomas Tkach":5kxa5rge said:
+1

Soooo, could you enlighten a NOOB about "VAPer" I have seen this word used however, I'm in the dark as to what it is.
VAPer = Virginia & Perique.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":7smfhxj1 said:
Red Ryder":7smfhxj1 said:
Thomas Tkach":7smfhxj1 said:
+1

VAPer = Virginia & Perique.

Cheers,

RR
Of which I find Escudo a great and easy to find example, and a solid launching point in this category imo.

Boswell aromatics are OK, not overwhelmingly sticky like the tins I've tried, but I guess I'm just not an aromatic guy. I tried Countryside (too much latakia), Northwoods (couldn't get it to stay lit), than their Mild English (much better) and finally the Magnum Blend. I really liked the Magnum for a mild English, it has become a regular smoke for me.

For a good VaPer you may wish to try C&D's Bayou Morning bulk at SP.
McClelland's 2015 for a good VaPer flake...is hard to beat. Mars would be a good place to check.

Boswell's are some of the nicest people in the world to deal with. I wish that I could enjoy their tobacco.

This of course is JMHO and YMMV.

Bill

I haven't had a tone of VaPer blends--but the Anniversary Kake I had was really good--lots of Perique and very sweet--but in a natural way, unlike overly sweet aromatics.

Virginia tobaccos are naturally sweet and contained in most English blends (excluding the American-English with a Burley base) to balance out the spicy and smoky flavors.

"Gumball" Squadron Leader is on my list of must try's.

"Brewdude" Thanx for the education.

"Vercer" I'll add that one.

"Riff Raff" I'll also add that one.

Hell If I keep adding Tobaccos, I soon be able to join the "huge stash" club. :lol: :lol: :lol:

RR, I'm watching this thread and adjusting responsively... if I don't get washed away to sea you should have a nice surprise in about a week.

Doc Manhattan":d1pgkynk said:
RR, I'm watching this thread and adjusting responsively... if I don't get washed away to sea you should have a nice surprise in about a week.

Glad to see you're on the ball ! :lol:

I hear ya Doc, I've been battening down our hatches.
We are all to familiar with Hurricanes having lived in the Keys for years.

RR, I've weathered a few hurricanes with my grandfolks in Naples... ny comparison, this should be a breeze for you, no pun intended.

There'll be a bunch of annoyances, but the only hazards are A. tree limbs and B. people who have no idea if and how to drive after a hurricane.

sand18f":x7ksss35 said:
For a good VaPer you may wish to try C&D's Bayou Morning bulk at SP.
McClelland's 2015 for a good VaPer flake...is hard to beat. Mars would be a good place to check.

Boswell's are some of the nicest people in the world to deal with. I wish that I could enjoy their tobacco.

This of course is JMHO and YMMV.

Bill

OK, thanx for that info Bill. I will add those to my never ending list.................

Doc Manhattan":qgdvqx4j said:
RR, I've weathered a few hurricanes with my grandfolks in Naples... ny comparison, this should be a breeze for you, no pun intended.

There'll be a bunch of annoyances, but the only hazards are A. tree limbs and B. people who have no idea if and how to drive after a hurricane.

Roger that Doc,we have been thru a few. One comes to mind ( I can't remember the name) we were all shuttered up and in the morning we ventured out to check damage. Some roof tiles were missing the screened in porch was no longer screened in,and our yard of tropical plantings was wiped clean, I mean just bare all washed away,as the water was up to two feet across our street.
My wife had to stand behind me so she wouldn't get blown over, I had to stand at an angle forward to brace myself against the wind. It was a wild ride.
So this should be a no brainer for us just some heaver than normal wind and sideways rain..(fingers crossed)