Not for the aromatic smoker

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then, of course, there are some methods of old world craftsmanship of fine tobaccos, that, believe it or not, are still practiced today, after being proven superior, for over 200 years in process; that is, the processes of the likes of Samuel Gawith, Gawith and Hogarth, J.F.Germain and Sons, and as very few others, do. 2011-11-09 15.24.13The old world methods involve pressing the tobaccos under great pressure and the addition of heat for several hours, to “cook” the tobacco under compression, thus yielding a superior product free of off favors and ammonias.
Does he mean 'flavours'? If so, how does he explain the lakeland soapy flavour a lot of folks here on Bob experience?

Gumball":fylklli1 said:
Then, of course, there are some methods of old world craftsmanship of fine tobaccos, that, believe it or not, are still practiced today, after being proven superior, for over 200 years in process; that is, the processes of the likes of Samuel Gawith, Gawith and Hogarth, J.F.Germain and Sons, and as very few others, do. 2011-11-09 15.24.13The old world methods involve pressing the tobaccos under great pressure and the addition of heat for several hours, to “cook” the tobacco under compression, thus yielding a superior product free of off favors and ammonias.
Does he mean 'flavours'? If so, how does he explain the lakeland soapy flavour a lot of folks here on Bob experience?
Lol, yeh, I think he does mean flavors. I also don't know how Mr. Whitaker would explain the "soapy" flavors not only people here have experienced but I also have had a bowl of Lakeland with a "soapy" flavor.
I myself look at it like this (although less pretentious, I hope). Just as a wine coinsure might use relevant flavor explanation, even if those wines are not made from the flavors the coinsure puts forth. So might tobacco be the same? Might we use flavor explanations such as "soapy" because that's the closest thing we can relate the flavor to? I'm pretty sure there is no soap added flavoring, just that the aging/curing process of a tobacco brings forth a soapy flavor in the tobacco itself.
Considering that, I think what he means to say is "artificial" flavors. Topping, Casings, etc.

As a side note, I know the owner of this blog, not that I'm pushing his blog or Mr.Whitaker's opinions. I just find Mr. Whitaker's opinions interesting reads and wanted to share. Although I may suggest I proof read the letters before they are posted in said blog. I spend plenty of time at Outwest Tobacco just B.S.ing so I might as well make my time of some use.

All aromatics should be destroyed on a giant pyre and the naughty smokers of it should be flogged in the streets........ :lol: :lol: :lol: :heart:

Tobacco is a luxury, an old world pleasure -- EW

Not good to start off wrong? Next he'll tell us tomatoes and peppers originated in Italy?

Pipe smoking fosters elitism. It isn't evil. Have something with "collectors" and "connoisseur" associated and you'll find a benign elitism. Every once in a while bubbles get popped over the issue but it all adds to the fun.

With high school chemistry over 50 years ago being my high water mark, I can't really speak to all this ammonia. I'd thought curing was to convert plant starches to sugar. I'd guess that a harmful byproduct such as ammonia could improperly result just like wine can turn into vinegar. Wikipedia doesn't cover ammonia conversion in its description of tobacco curing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacco#Curing

I smoked a black vanilla at the start and enjoyed it. My taste changed over time. That didn't make me more or less right. I love a good Chicago Hot Dog. As a kid, I covered one with ketchup. I wasn't wrong doing either. I just changed.

Bob is an inclusive forum. We can have fun with ourselves. We smoke cob and morta collegially. There are varied taste in our tobacco choices without the need to call out the other guy except in jest. This article is the antithesis of our ecumenical spirit.

So, let Kyle smoke his Borkum Riff in peace, Mr. Whitaker; while I'm off to try to dig up my high school chemistry teacher -- fearing I am being too literal in the process.

OPINIONS are just that, OPINIONS. Folks were making them known back when I started smoking in the late '60s and they are STILL doing the same today. Adding soap and ketchup, interesting concepts mmm :twisted: :twisted:

Both the article writer and Yak are right. Quite a bit of difference in raw tobacco and what we smoke.
Tobacco has to age. One of the compounds it develops while curing and has to be removed is ammonia. I believe that burley is an especial problem. This info is derived from the fair trade tobacco forum if memory serves. They talk a great deal about how to sweat and cure their home grown tobacco.
Tobacco is adulterated in several ways depending on how you look at the word 'adulteration'. Again going on my poor recall, cavendish is a process that was discovered when transporting barrels of tobacco from the New World to Europe. The ship took too long in transit (becalmed?), the cargo got 'too warm', and the tobacco was sweeter/more mellow as a result. Fermenting, adding toppings, casings, and your grannies perfume all change the leaf to a different taste for different taste buds (g).
If you want to look into adulteration, read some of these "100% fruit juice" brands and really see how much pomegranate juice you are getting vice apple/pear/grape juice in the 'blend'.
The producers make different blends to make money pure and simple. Just as long as they aren't poisoning us like <cough RJR Reynolds cough> then we can't complain!

Oh goody, more opinions... :lol:

Here's why I think he's right: Adding artificial goop is a marketing mindset that appeals to certain people or viewpoints. A lot of tobacco is comparable with "fast food" smoking, because we do live in a now-now-now Drive Thru society. Aging with time and patience is awesome. What Mother Nature gives is certainly sufficient...but...

...here's where I think he's wrong: Biochem 101--organic material does not necessarily contain ammonia (not in noticeable-to-your-smoke amounts, anyway), it's a by-product of little bacteria buggers eatin' something they like and poopin' it out. That's when you notice it burning your nose, and comes about from stuff that is rotting rather than aging.

In addition, if you like cheaper, heavily-flavored tobacco, propylene glycol and cough syrup cherry flavors, so what? There's a quasi-famous guy that eats a Big Mac every single day, and has done so for 40 some-odd years. Just because I think McFood iss garbage doesn't mean it ain't his Nirvana.

Additives are in all tobacco, and not all of them are insidious. I have smoked unhindered tobacco courtesy of our own Mark's crop, and while it was interesting, there's a reason why there's sugars, binders, smoking (Latakia), and perhaps even an argument for toppings like rum, pineapple and Old Lady Knicker Soap.

Sometimes the elitists are right. Sometimes the simple man is right. Drives 'em both nuts, probably, but they can both deal with it. :lol:

And there's a f*ck*ng idiot on TV who goes around the world eating rotten monkey guts & worms.

Stretch any definition far enough and it negates itself. Like that crap he eats as "food," and cherry vanilla fudge ripple as "pipe tobacco."

:evil:

:face:

Opinions. They're only wrong if I choose make them so in my own head. Even that won't change them.

C'mon, guys, repeat after me: "the Tao of tobacco". :lol!:

Aromatics are here and as popular as ever. 'Tis what it is. Seems silly to not just accept it and smoke what you like in spite of it. I believe Lakelands are called "English Aromatics" by some. If that be the case, I do like some aromatics. Coniston Cut Plug ain't so bad in my book.

While I prefer a good Vaper and tasty Virginias, I'm not going to slam Rob for liking Captain Black.

Well, okay, maybe I will- but just 'cause it's fun. :twisted:

"Embracing diversity" only flushes up to a point.

"Whatever, man" is of no value to anybody looking for advice.

JKenP":o1s2pkb3 said:
Yak":o1s2pkb3 said:
William Blake":o1s2pkb3 said:
Always be ready to speak your mind and a base man will avoid you.
Does that go for the drummer and lead guitar too?
No one listens to a synth player, anyway. This I know. "Nerd!" That's all we respond to. :lol: ("bass" vs "base," but who's counting?) :tongue:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to the other subject, though, and I know I've asked this at least once before...

...pipe tobacco has been gooped, sauced, slathered and sugared-up for a long time, and always will be. Hasn't anyone out there tried adding other sweet-type additive without the effects of sugar? Mints? Hibiscus? Lemon grass? Stevia? Something with a more organic nature that might burn along side the tobacco without the searing hotness and cloying nature of large amounts of sugar?

Diet pipe tobacco? :lol: Not that I'd be terribly interested in it, but...

...there's that deer tongue stuff, but I don't think that's what the sweet-toothed smokers are looking for, exactly.

I understand this gentleman's point in the more general sense, but I get the feeling that he pulled a lot of the specifics out of his ass. If the Gawith houses didn't add things to their tobaccos, Tonka beans would be extinct and Avon would be out of business. :twisted: