Not the Popeye I used to know and love...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growley

Reaction score
Hey brothers. Good morning! I saw this on Google this morning, and it hit me so strangely I figured I'd post it. This will probably make a great avatar for some of you fans, but for me, it's just not the Popeye I used to know.

How does it hit you?

images

I like it. I used it as an avatar on here for a little while a last year. It's definitely not good ol' Popeye, but I like the artist idea of a more human look of Popeye. I think it's kind of funny, then again, I'm kind of taken with bizarre images like that. Here is an odd image of Raggedy Andy cleaning fish, by artist Bryan Ballinger. I love it, kind of dark, but still interesting and funny.

Raggedy-1.jpg

Freaky man, really freaky. However, I do think it's a great rendition and obviously much more realized than any cartoon depiction could be. His ears remind me less grotesque version of the Ferengi's from Star Trek..

Growley":2xaebdzf said:
Hey brothers. Good morning! I saw this on Google this morning, and it hit me so strangely I figured I'd post it. This will probably make a great avatar for some of you fans, but for me, it's just not the Popeye I used to know.

How does it hit you?

images
More like Poopdeck Pappy than Popeye. . . .

That's not Popeye. That's just a creepy-looking old man in a saylors attire.

DrumsAndBeer":v8lm1vnw said:
Freaky man, really freaky. However, I do think it's a great rendition and obviously much more realized than any cartoon depiction could be. His ears remind me less grotesque version of the Ferengi's from Star Trek..

Respect the Grand Nagus! :lol:

8)

Here is the person who is said to have inspired Elzie Segar's creation of the Popeye character. His name is Frank "Rocky" Fiegel. He lived in Chester Illinois, the Mississippi River town that Segar grew up in. Fiegel would have been about 61 years old when Popeye was created. Not a good photo, but its off my TV set.

Steve

Frank-Rocky-Fiegel.jpg

Welcome to mortality. Its like watching Sophia Loren in one of her early movies versus now. I guess Popeye didn't have access to the medical facilities that Raquel Welch has. If you don't want to get old then die young!

sstodvictory":ejjtokqg said:

Here is the person who is said to have inspired Elzie Segar's creation of the Popeye character. His name is Frank "Rocky" Fiegel. He lived in Chester Illinois, the Mississippi River town that Segar grew up in. Fiegel would have been about 61 years old when Popeye was created. Not a good photo, but its off my TV set.

Steve

Frank-Rocky-Fiegel.jpg

Sweet post..thank you. Inspiration, I find, is always inspiring; I'm eager to hear the "why's"...