'Nother New guy from Washington State

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaurenceS

Reaction score
Hi,

My name's Laurence, and I'm relatively new to pipe smoking. I've been at it for about a year now. I've predominately been smoking Kirsten's since I live in the Metro Seattle area, and they're right here, plus the fact that I'm an I.T. guy and totally dig the engineering and technology behind them. Given that I also predominately smoke Lane 1-Q, I like the fact that I can dump out the dottle quite easily with a Kirsten. I've been trying some other smoke than the 1-Q, but nothing has really jumped out at me to say "*WOW* this kicks the poop out of the 1-Q" as of yet. I keep reading about how everyone kind of "dogs" aromatice, but I really don't care so much for the floral nature of some of the other blends. I don't know if that *floral* nature in English blends is Latakia or Perique, but whatever it is, I don't particularly care for it. If someone can recommend a "traditional" english that doesn't have that flowery flavor to it, I'd be elated to try something new.

Best Wishes to all,

Laurence M. Schwarz
Edmonds, WA

Welcome! Dont know much about English blends, maybe you should try some Virginia's for a change, you may like them since you dont like the floral stuff as much as I dont! Plenty of great smokes to be had with Virginia's, Burley's etc...

Metropolmodern":oxh064s1 said:
Welcome to BoB! How many pipes do you own so far?
Hi Metropolmodern,

I currently have 4 Kirsten's. Two full bent, and two 1/4 bent, but I just ordered a Mario Grandi. I just love the interesting shapes associated with freehands.

Thx,

-L

djf1":07nmpjk9 said:
Welcome! Dont know much about English blends, maybe you should try some Virginia's for a change, you may like them since you dont like the floral stuff as much as I dont! Plenty of great smokes to be had with Virginia's, Burley's etc...
Hi djf1,

Any recommendations? As far as Burley's go, I've tried SWR, and Erinmore flake. They weren't half bad. Burley has a very prominent "nuttiness" to it.

-L

LaurenceS":l81ryoes said:
djf1":l81ryoes said:
Hi djf1,

Any recommendations? As far as Burley's go, I've tried SWR, and Erinmore flake. They weren't half bad. Burley has a very prominent "nuttiness" to it.

-L
I would recomend the "Reiner Golden Flake" as well as the "Solani Aged Burley Flake". I love both tobacco's with the Reiner being my favorite of all. Dont smoke it that often as up here in Canada is extremely expensive to buy a tin... If you develop a sweet tooth for Virginia's then there are plenty to try... There is this tobacco shop in Bellingham that has some nice Virginia's you can try, I tried the other day some bulk "Navy Cut" and absolutely loved it.

djf1":uly320hv said:
LaurenceS":uly320hv said:
djf1":uly320hv said:
Hi djf1,

-L
I would recomend the "Reiner Golden Flake" as well as the "Solani Aged Burley Flake". I love both tobacco's with the Reiner being my favorite of all. Dont smoke it that often as up here in Canada is extremely expensive to buy a tin... If you develop a sweet tooth for Virginia's then there are plenty to try... There is this tobacco shop in Bellingham that has some nice Virginia's you can try, I tried the other day some bulk "Navy Cut" and absolutely loved it.
Hi Danny,

I was pretty ill yesterday. I rode 535 miles in driving rain on Saturday on my Harley, and ended up with a very nasty sinus infection. I actually meant Virginia's, not Burley's. The Burley's I know. As previously mentioned, I'm all good with the Erinmore and the SWR.

Thanks again,

-Laurence

LaurenceS":flvh9p5y said:
djf1":flvh9p5y said:
LaurenceS":flvh9p5y said:
djf1":flvh9p5y said:
Hi djf1,

-L
Hi Danny,

I was pretty ill yesterday. I rode 535 miles in driving rain on Saturday on my Harley, and ended up with a very nasty sinus infection. I actually meant Virginia's, not Burley's. The Burley's I know. As previously mentioned, I'm all good with the Erinmore and the SWR.

Thanks again,

-Laurence
Laurence, I hope you feel better. That must have been some trip! The Reiner Golden Flake is a Virginia blend. That will give you a pretty good idea on straight Virginia's....

Hey Laurence from another Pac NW piper.

These days I've been groovin' on John Pattons blends from 4Noggins. Check out Cool Hand Fluke (VaPer blend), Gold Nugget (Burley + Deers Tongue), and Stormfront (Burley and Cigar leaf). All winners!

http://www.4noggins.com/index.asp

As far as English blends, I recommend P&W #78 and Churchill. these are regulars in my rotation and the Latakia is very nicely balanced.

http://www.vtpipes.com/

HTH!

Welcome from another noob!

:joker:

Cheers,

RR

New to pipe smoking and you like Escudo and Nightcap???? You are already at the top of the game. :lol!:
Welcome
Doc