Novice assessments of a couple different blends

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fumus

Reaction score
As previously mentioned in the "what are you smoking" thread, my most recent blend to try is Sutliff's R blend.  Maybe its just me, but the tin note sort of reminded me of wintergreen skoal. Not being a fan of either wintergreen, or Skoal for that matter, this was a dubious first impression at best.  However having already learned that tin note and taste are rarely  the same, (at least in my limited experience so far), I went ahead and loaded my trusty MM and gave it a go. SO GLAD THAT I DID! Lacking the refined pallet necessary for detecting the finer nuances, and the experience to identify the various tobacco varieties involved, I can only say that my overall impression was the smell of seasoned pine (I'm thinking Pinion) in a campfire. For me, this is a vary good thing indeed, and I'm guessing its the Latakia in the blend that brings this smoky goodness.  There also seemed to be an almost citrus like quality on the tip of my tongue with every puff, along with a very mild underlying sweetness. This is the most complex tasting blend Ive tried so far. Whither that's due to improvement of my pallet or the quality of the blend I don't know.  Perhaps its just that the various flavors in this blend are more pronounced and therefore easier for me to pick out than say...the flavors in the Escudo I tried earlier, which my pallet simply registered as DELECTABLE!  

I also had the misfortune recently, to taste a bulk aromatic from a local BnM that my wife selected for her first smoke with her new pipe.
I have no idea what was in the blend (and wish I did so I could avoid it like the plague from here on out), but the name of it was "Merlin's Blend".  While the "tin note" was chocolate and vanilla, the taste was enough to convince me that Merlin must have been an unhygienic cross dresser. My wife said it tasted like lavender. I say it tasted more like grandmas dirty laundry with a copious topping of the most odious old lady floral foo foo water imaginable. It was fall down and lick dirt to get the taste out of your mouth bad. I assured my wife that there were better tasting blends than that, and let her try the Barbados Plantation (also by Sutliff) that I was smoking.  She agreed that the BP tasted much better, and wants to keep trying different blends.  Meanwhile, I'm hoping the stink-weed blend didn't ghost her new pipe before she dumped it out. But if it did, Ill be performing a salt and vodka exorcism to remove the nastiness that was Merlin.

Nice post.

I'm still pretty new to piping but I'm not digging aros much myself. Even the ones that smell nice.... I tend to find their flavors a bit fake and sometimes even chemically. Some, Butternut Burley for example, tends to leave my mouth super dry afterwards. I guess I'm in English guy. So far I found I love blends with Latakia, Virginias and VaPers, etc. But I think I may be done with trying aros altogether.

If I were forced to smoke aromatics only, I believe I would opt for the OTCs--cut, in my case, with something harmless like PA. I have never found a B & M's house blend aromatics to be anything but slightly weird. You might try a cross-over blend, like 4 Noggin's Bald-Headed Teacher, which is quite tasty, if you want a foot in both worlds.

Just my opinion. (And when you see that phrase, run!)

Amendment: I forgot. McCrainie's has some really good ones. Guess I just blew my first paragraph out the door. The second still stands.

Merlin's Blend sounds like a Lakeland and if your not into soapy, Grandma perfumey , you won't like any of it. Sadly I've had my experiences with it and a few pipes it's ghosted.
It takes a lot to unghost a pipe that has seen Lakelands for any amount of time. :fpalm:

'Bout the closest to an aro I can handle is Bob's Chocolate Flake and/or The Mayor's Chocolate Flake. I understand that J.M. Boswell and PipeWorks & Wilke have really good aros; but that's second-hand info...no personal experience!! :no: FTRPLT

I have a tin of the SG Mayor's Chocolate flake, but I've read that it's more of an English with a slight hint of chocolate and less of a full out aro. Are they wrong? I haven't tried it yet.

R-blend is a clone of the old Revelation that Einstein smoked. C&D has a cloned called Epiphany that I really like. I've not tried R-blend yet, but I will soon.

Thomas Tkach":9emkpx8g said:
R-blend is a clone of the old Revelation that Einstein smoked. C&D has a cloned called Epiphany that I really like. I've not tried R-blend yet, but I will soon.
Ditto, and I love 'em both. That's three of us, plus ol' Al. Great minds, etc.

Cartaphilus":5ud2efy0 said:
Merlin's Blend sounds like a Lakeland and if your not into soapy, Grandma perfumey , you won't like any of it. Sadly I've had my experiences with it and a few pipes it's ghosted.
It takes a lot to unghost a pipe that has seen Lakelands for any amount of time. :fpalm:
Thanks for the heads up on the lakeland Ron. Ill do a little research and see if that's a type of tobacco, curing style (like cavendish), or what, and then make a point of avoiding it. Hard to believe anyone could enjoy something that nasty, but different strokes I guess (shrug).

Thomas Tkach":gguuihac said:
Wow, I feel smarter already!
(adjust hatband to fit new larger egg shaped noggin)

Fumus":6e1mv06n said:
Cartaphilus":6e1mv06n said:
Thanks for the heads up on the lakeland Ron.  Ill do a little research and see if that's a type of tobacco, curing style (like cavendish), or what, and then make a point of avoiding it.  Hard to believe anyone could enjoy something that nasty, but different strokes I guess (shrug).
Yeah some of the floral lakelands are on the list for my next order. If you don't like them, avoid the scented stuff by Gawith, Hoggarth, and Company (maybe a S Gawith blend or two as well). They use all sorts of floral and herbal toppings that aren't for everyone. Rose geranium, juniper, lavender, clove, honeydew, licorice, etc. sometimes in addition to the flavors more usual in American aromatics: vanilla, chocolate, rum, etc.

GH&Co. also offer two versions of many of their blends: Scented and Unscented. These aromatics don't use cheap or bland tobacco as a blank canvas for the toppings, but instead use tobaccos that are good enough to stand on their own. You may enjoy some of these. However, some reviewers claim that there's a little bit of so-called "lakeland essence" that gets in all their blends. Whether that is the case or they have a house flavor like the McClelland Ketchup thing, you may find you do or don't like it. All this to say that just because you don't like the heavily scented blends, doesn't mean you won't like some of the more natural GH&Co blends.

Thomas Tkach":nmhj3okm said:
I have some Epiphany en route right now with some R blend that was a freebie.

Did not know that about the R Blend - I just didn't want the other one (Maple).

Huh.

Sutliff R:

A blend of Bright flake, Red Virginia, Burley cube cut, Latakia and Perique with a mild fruit flavor. Reminiscent of House of Windsor "Revelation".
C&D:

We have a delightful new light English blend called Epiphany. Epiphany is reminiscent of the original Revelation blend that was said to be the favorite of a certain reknowned thinker named Einstein. Epiphany is another classic Tarler/Runowski blend of Va, Burleys, Latakia and Perique in perfect balance and harmony.

Notes: Reminiscent of old original Revelation (not HOW version).
Sounds like the Sutliffe is cased/topped?

This is what I'm currently reading on the Sutliff website:

Sutliff":vy2n7j62 said:
This unique blend astounds with its dominant yet still subtle fruity notes. The base is an equally complex mixture of Burley, Virginia, Latakia, Perique, and Flake.
It also is listed with an aromatic flavor of 0 on the chart to the right. Where did your description come from? Was it on the tin? It sounds familiar.

I had 8 ounces of Ephipany several months back that was awful, and I mean dreadfully bitter. The burley's tasted entirely different to me than what I had experienced before with it. Two years Prior to that, I had 8 ounces of it that was brilliant, easily my favorite smoke of that summer maybe the year even.  Gun shy, I haven't purchased Ephipany again since.

I'll have to give R-Blend a shot and to see how it compares.

DireWolf said:
Thomas Tkach":rjaqssg6 said:
As Mr. Pease has pointed out ALL tobacco's are CASED to allow them to burn and be consistent in charachteristics. Not ALL blends are TOPPED, two different things !! :twisted:

monbla256":3xyxxslp said:
DireWolf":3xyxxslp said:
Thomas Tkach":3xyxxslp said:
As Mr. Pease has pointed out ALL tobacco's are CASED to allow them to burn and be consistent in charachteristics. Not ALL blends are TOPPED, two different things !! :twisted:
I don't think that's accurate. If you read the Pease FAQ here: http://www.glpease.com/FAQ.html
He states that both casing and topping are done to add flavor, and "most mass produced tobbacos" are cased. Not ALL are cased. Many C&D blends were made without casing and I believe that is still true. Casing and topping are different processes for sure, but it would be difficult for the customer to be able to tell the difference, thus the cased/topped nomenclature.
Speaking of C&D blends, I have really developed a thing for epiphany over the past few months and thanks to this thread will have to get some R-blend in to compare.
Mike.

As he sums it up in his article : " Not all flavoured tobaccos are cased, and casing is not always a bad thing, but the term is used incorrectly more often than not, so a lot of confusion has been created. " :twisted: :twisted:

One other thing that I forgot to mention about the R-blend, is that when I opened the can I was surprised at how dry it was. Smoked just fine right out of the can though, so maybe I'm just more used to dealing with arros.

FWIW, I also noticed that Tobacco Reviews listed it as a "American" blend type and, according to TobaccoPipesDictionary.com, an American blend is "a Blend having the following components: Virginia, Burley and Oriental in variable proportions to which a "sauce" consisting of humidifying and sugar elements is added. These blends are finally sprayed with aromatic flavors". So....American blends are arros?? I'm confuddled :scratch:

From what I've read, old-school american blends were VA-Bur with smaller amounts of Lat, oriental, or Perique, and perhaps some flavoring added. Sutliff's Man's Best Friend is another blend in the style that is similar.