Now, for something really different: twin bowled pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExcessEnergy

Reaction score
I was checking for Polinskis on eBAy when I stumbled across these bizarre guys, carved by some guy named Mauro Armellini.  You pipe experts probably know all about these, but this is the first time in 46 years of pipe smoking that I ever heard of such a thing.  Here they are . . . go figure!

dual_b10.jpg

dual_b11.jpg

dual_b13.jpg

And this one from the same carver just sold for a little over $300:

dual_b14.jpg

Two questions occur to me:

1.  How hard is it to keep two bowls lit?

2.  And, uh, why would you want to?

(I just know that after I post this, a dozen of you guys are going to write something like, "Double bowls? Oh, yeah, I've got five of 'em!")

Yes, I'm with you. I just don't get it. However, I think that the lower one that was already sold had been smoked before it was sold. I guess, in pipe smoking, as in life, there's something for everyone. Would be a boon for the match industry, though.

I am no expert, but this is the first time I have seen this.

If someone gave me one, it might be interesting to try, but I don't think it would work very well...

This is either a three bowl or a four bowl pipe from the same guy:

arpipe10.jpg

Mirabile dictu!   :face:

Interesting for sure, not so sure on the smoking qualities of such pipes but they are certainly conversation pieces.

ExcessEnergy":z2ollt7f said:
This is either a three bowl or a four bowl pipe from the same guy:

arpipe10.jpg

Mirabile dictu!   :face:
I've seen plenty of double bowl pipes, but never experienced smoking any. A stereo smoke!!!

As for the triple bowl/quad bowl? Never seen one of those but really interesting. However I have enough trouble keeping a single bowl going never mind two, three or four. Thanks for sharing.
Kinda like the spigot on the shank though, must be for closing off a bowl or two.

Just an assumption here but, I would reckon it's for the person who wishes to smoke a few bowls one after the other or who wishes not, or in certain situations is unable to refill his bowl but once.
That would mean just loading them all and smoking one at a time.
Hey! sounds good to me and that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

BTW, would love to have one..............although not to smoke really.

Mechanically speaking, air is going to draw in from the easiest place possible, which I'm thinking would be the first chamber. I'm with Cart here in that it's probably not designed to try to smoke all two or three at once. To smoke the bowl furthest away I'd bet you have to plug the others.

...makes me wonder.

You'd have to have some way to close off one or more of the bowls for it to smoke well. Maybe they come with a set of plugs or something? Cool looking pipes, but maybe they're just a novelty.

:scratch: I have to agree that it must be difficult to smoke any of those, but it might be fun to try!

"BTW, would love to have one..............although not to smoke really."

Well, as it happens, the double-barreled one is currently up for bid on eBay. Last time I looked, it was "only" at $86. Not a bad price for such a conversation piece, really.

ExcessEnergy":kg55myep said:
"BTW, would love to have one..............although not to smoke really."

Well, as it happens, the double-barreled one is currently up for bid on eBay. Last time I looked, it was "only" at $86. Not a bad price for such a conversation piece, really.
Yes I seen that but, as usual I've spent my pipe allowance already  :roll: 

One of my favorite pipe carvers, Preben Holm, whose pipes generally are very satisfying to smoke and own, apparently also gave in to the urge to carve a multi-bowl pipe, and came up with this bizarre thing, which is a different engineering approach than the ones pictured above.  You will note that his approach allows at least the two most central pipes to be equidistant from the stem, but the outer two bowls would still suffer from less draw because the majority of the draw would benefit only the two inner bowls.  It seems that if one were going to do this right, all four bowls would be equidistant from the stem connection point, looking something like a four-light chandelier with the fifth arm of the pipe being the stem connected at the center.  Anyway, here's the departed and deeply missed Preben Holm's take on the multibowl pipe:

holm_410.jpg

riff raff":kr9463nf said:
I have to admit, there are certain things that are wonderful and very appealing in pairs.  Unfortunately, these pipes look too similar to pairs that I would rather avoid....
 :lol!:   Oh, God!  That is too funny!  I didn't even think of that until I read what you wrote.  Oh, geez!  Still laughing.  Yeah, while the engineering is probably superior to the bowls-in-a-line design from an equal draw perspective, the Freudian implications are, shall I say, a bit too pointed for my taste.   :affraid:  Hence, my comments about a four bowl design that would be less suggestive of Freudian issues.  Still laughing. I have to show this one to my girlfriend.

Pipephil.eu has a page devoted to these 'innovative' pipes Here
Even includes a Dunhill!

Adam