Obsidian Pipe Stem Oil

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Manhattan

Reaction score
I decided to give this stuff--designed for rubber stems--the old school try. I picked a Czech bent billiard that I like very much, but for its stem, which oxidizes and dulls rapidly.

Per the directions, after wiping down the vulcanite stem post-use, I rubbed in a few drops of the Obsidian compound, which is the consistency of thin salad oil and fairly neutral in smell. Freshly applied, the stem showed a nice glossy black, as tires do after using one of those "wet look" sprays. But of course it would look nice glistening with oil. So I waited the prescribed 30 minutes and buffed it off with a soft cloth.

And? Not bad. Definitely less dull in appearance. A little shine to it. Not like-new, but better. For about five cents' worth of product, very nice indeed. It's definitely a maintenance product, not an abrasive that wil physically remove oxidation. (I wonder what results it would give after a more thorough cleaning.) Visibly more shine than those pre-treated cloths or a Briar Pipe Wipe rag. It compares favorably to using Paragon II on a stem, though it lacks the bowl-to-stem versatility.

Now, time to see how long this niceness lasts (and what, if any, residual taste it's left.)

So, curb-appeal is good, we'll see how it holds up in the storm, eh?

Definitely let us know. 8)

Thanks Doc I was wondering about that product..I may give it a try

Next-smoke update:

Stem of the Czech pipe, pre-filling, was roughly the same as it'd been--nice, not gleaming, but looking like a clean pipe in the rotation.

Took it outside for a nice smoke (the remnants of tins of Old Dublin + 965) and some leaf raking, which meant mostly clenching. Noticed no funny tastes--neither oil nor oxidation. After retiring inside, the stem had done its usual dulling, with a hint of tan oxidation near the bit. So Obsidian's preventative powers are minimal.

THe pipe is now sitting with a new coat of the oil on its stem--I antcipate it'll behave as before.

Thanks for the product review Doc. I've been considering purchasing some of it.

Hi Doc,

Thanks for giving the product a try! You'll find that the product works best on a new pipe or a pipe that has been freshly buffed on a buffing wheel. If you properly polish it and then use the product with consistency, you'll notice much less oxidation over time and much less need to polish it as frequently. Even on older, less expensive vulcanite pipes which tend to oxidize faster, you'll notice that the oxidation that does arise during a few smokes tend to wipe away faster.

Its always nice to hear from the subject matter experts, thanks obsidian

Stackle2":cm2tsu6w said:
Its always nice to hear from the subject matter experts, thanks obsidian
Indeed, I agree.

I'm going to give some of this stuff a try. 8)

Having a mouth which is very acidic, most of my older ebonite bits have begun to evidence the dreaded "green hue" after being smoked. I read some reviews of this product and got some with an order of 'bac awhile ago. I have to say, follow the directions they give, ie, apply right after smoking while the bit is still warm, let sit on the bit for 30 minutes then buff off with a soft cloth and it DOES diminish the "green" . I also put some of the Brebbia Bit and Pipe Polish on and buff with an old wool sock prior to putting in the rack. I use the polish AFTER I have finished with the Obsidian oil and I've noticed with repeated use, my older ebonite bits are evidencing not near as much "green" as they did! I'd have to say, as a maininence standpoint it is a GOOD product and seems to work. I have put an order in for some more of both with my latest order of "bac and will continue to use it in between times when I can get my bits wheel polished. I RECOMEND it for sure :p

I'm visiting Park Lane and Pipes&Cigars next week, I have to remember to pick up a bottle. I have a lot of vulcanite stems. I do buff mine with a wheel and plastic polish (Blue Magic, Auto/motorcycle plastic polish). I think it does give the vulcanite a protective type coating as oxidation seems to happen, if at all, very slowly. My Cumberland stems get dull faster than the black vulcanite, I was going to try the Obsidian on them.

williamcharles":6tp87nds said:
Any idea what the Obsidian oil contains? Just curious.
Since it's not for human consumption, they don't list ingrediants on the bottle. It has a slight sweet aroma if you put the bottle to your nose and it is a clear oil and it does work!! :p

My concern is if any taste is imparted into the vulcanite and if the product is toxic in any way since I do put the stem in my mouth. :?:

coalsmoke":lb5fr2lf said:
My concern is if any taste is imparted into the vulcanite and if the product is toxic in any way since I do put the stem in my mouth. :?:
I would have to say that they would not market it for bits if it contained anything harmfull :p I've noticed no taste after using it and as far as toxicity, I would say it is nowhere near the toxicity of the nicotine that comes into ones mouth when smoking :p I'll keep using it, it works !

It being safe is a primary concern. I'm a pipe smoker myself so during development, everything had to be safe. Obsidian is a mix of oils safe for contact. The UVA/UVB inhibitors are organic grade. It doesn't impart any taste and with over 1000 sold, no one has replied otherwise!

Obsidian":rnq86x6v said:
It being safe is a primary concern. I'm a pipe smoker myself so during development, everything had to be safe. Obsidian is a mix of oils safe for contact. The UVA/UVB inhibitors are organic grade. It doesn't impart any taste and with over 1000 sold, no one has replied otherwise!
Good to know. I have yet to pick some up (but, soon)... thank you. Also, welcome to the forum, please, feel free to chime in around here. We like having innovators, inventors, carvers and bacca mixers on hand! 8)

Obsidian":s1gyafeu said:
Hi Doc,

Thanks for giving the product a try! You'll find that the product works best on a new pipe or a pipe that has been freshly buffed on a buffing wheel. If you properly polish it and then use the product with consistency, you'll notice much less oxidation over time and much less need to polish it as frequently. Even on older, less expensive vulcanite pipes which tend to oxidize faster, you'll notice that the oxidation that does arise during a few smokes tend to wipe away faster.
I find this to be true on all my pipes, new and used. I do a major stem polish on occasion but I put a thin coat of this on after each smoke and buff it with a polishing cloth before I put it in the rack. Sometimes within the hour and most times the next day before I light up a different pipe.

Quick, direct question for the maker:

Obsidian Oil: strictly for the prevention of oxidation, the cure of already-oxidized stems, or both?

Kyle Weiss":t28wkp47 said:
Quick, direct question for the maker:

Obsidian Oil: strictly for the prevention of oxidation, the cure of already-oxidized stems, or both?
My experience with it is that it is more of a prophilactic thing. It WILL NOT restore a badly oxidized bit but with regular use, I've found it does help with the prevention of it, especially with older pipe bits.