ODF + BBF = Amazing!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mimefrog

Reaction score
I am a great fan of both Old Dark Fired and SG's Best Brown Flake. It occurred to me that they may complement each other so I rubbed out a ratio of 3 ODF flakes to 1 BBF flake and mixed them.

Whoa ... I am over the moon! If you like these flakes, perhaps give this a shot.

:scratch: A mixture you say? Those are two of my favorites....perhaps excellent + excellent = fantabulous!

Fantabulous indeed.  As a general rule, I don't muck around with what the master blenders create.  All too often there is subtraction by addition, but IMO, this actually worked.:shock:

Add a good pinch of blending Perique to the mix, it is amazing, gorgeous as they are individually like you say and the two mix so well it is scarcely believable but adding a good wallop of blending Perique to the two marries them so well it's heavenly, well, it works for me anyway. :cheers: 

Perique you say?  Sounds like a plan!

Edit: where do you source your perique? St. James or Acadian?  I've read that a lot "perique" is actually low quality burley with a chemical additive.  Yuck.

Curious if you've tried the McClelland blending perique.  I may pull the trigger on a 1/2 pound in the near future.

I've been mixing BBF and FVF in equal proportions for years. I call it my Medium Virginia Flake. Just right for my palate, not too strong, not too weak, just right. :D 

True perique does not use a chemical additive, it is a natural by product of one year pressure in wood barrels. As I understand it, all perique is a mixture of st james and acadian.

Also, you will not need 1/2 pound of perique. 1 or 2 ounces should be enough to last a long time.

mimefrog":7pn3ef72 said:
Perique you say?  Sounds like a plan!

Edit: where do you source your perique? St. James or Acadian?  I've read that a lot "perique" is actually low quality burley with a chemical additive.  Yuck.

Curious if you've tried the McClelland blending perique.  I may pull the trigger on a 1/2 pound in the near future.
The Perique I have used for mixing in the past is this one: http://www.smoke-king.co.uk/acatalog/Gawith-Hoggarth-Perique-Pipe-Tobacco-25g-2160.html#SID=189 but I am hoping to get some of this in the future: http://www.4noggins.com/blending-tobacco-granulated-perique.aspx

I honestly couldn't tell you if the Perique I have used as sold by SG is genuine Louisiana Perique or not, I do know that what ever that stuff is I love it.

Never tried the McClelland Perique, if you do pull the trigger on some yourself I would love to know how you get on with it.

If you are anything like me then you'll need to get several pounds of the stuff, I enjoy adding as much as 50% Perique to other blends, can't get enough of the stuff when I do get hold of it, it's good stuff. :sunny: 

Briar Spirit":4gx2n7ci said:
If you are anything like me then you'll need to get several pounds of the stuff, I enjoy adding as much as 50% Perique to other blends, can't get enough of the stuff when I do get hold of it, it's good stuff. :sunny: 
I love Perique.  I was actually thinking 8oz might be too little ...