Off to a good start!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wannashmooze

Reaction score
Hi All!

My name is David, I'm 27, living in NYC. I'm a former once a year cigar smoker, and there was just sometning about pipes that intrigued me. I love fixing things, so estate pipes are definitely my thing.

I started a collection by hitting my local thrift shop, picked up the straight bulldog for $7, then I got a basket bent prince, MM, then I tried making a clay by hand, I'm bringing it to a local pottery place to be fired then I will make a stem and let you guys know how it smokes.

My latest PAD is from a yard sale, thats the Peterson Killarney 80s pictured, the lacquer was flaking off but after I picked it up and realized it was unsmoked(!) I could not leave it there. I'm in the process of sanding off the remaining lacquer, then I'l stain and polish it with some carnauba, it should come out real nice.

photo_15.jpg
photo_16.jpg
[/url][/img]
photo_17.jpg
[/url][/img]
photo_19.jpg
[/url][/img]
photo_20.jpg
[/url][/img]

from top to bottom:
my homemade tamper
Peterson Killarney 80s
Berkeley Club straight bulldog (Sasieni seconds according to pipedia, smoke fairly well)
MM Legend
Hardcastle bent prince (Dunihill seconds, smokes beautifully)

on the right is a zippo modded for pipe lighting, and the clay pipe that I made.

Welcome aboard! Looks like you're off to a good start in your "hardware" needed to enjoy the Evil Weed :p You'll find that the Bulldog shape, whether bent or straight is one of the nicest for smoking a wide variety of tobaccos in ! Good luck on your Pete and let us see some pics when you have finished it :p ( PS try resizing your pics next time to a smaller file size :p )

Welcome to the forums! It looks like you're having a good time already!

"T"

Welcome to BoB and it does look like you are off to a fine start. That homemade tamper is just quirky and cool. Monbla may not like the size of the pics but they are perfect IMO, not too small and not so huge they blow up the page. You will definitely have to keep us posted on your rejuvenating of that Pete. Again welcome, if you have questions this forum provides a wealth of knowledge.

Your header is spot on. You definitely are off to a good start. That Pete is gonna look great when you finish with it.
That clay rocks! I'm looking forward to seeing it after firing and fitting with a stem. I like clays that can be fitted with a reed stem.
Much more open draw than on the traditional clays with the narrow hole through the stem.
I've got one of each kind. The one with the reed stem smokes great but the other gives me fits.

Are you gonna use reed or something else?

That tamper is ingenious.