Off to London/Dublin for Christmas

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshoowah

Reaction score
Hey guys! Long time. It's been crazy since I've been back in Kenya. In any case, my wife and I have been gifted a trip to London for Christmas. We'll be there a couple of weeks, traveling and what not. I am looking to pick up some JF Germain stuff while I'm there, particularly Special Latakia Flake and Rich Dark Flake. Any chance any of you are more knowledgable than I and know where to find some of this stuff? Specific tobacconists is what I need because my time is limited; I can't scour the country looking for it. I'll probably pick up some Orlik stuff too.

Hey Josh.  Good to hear you'll soon be in Blighty.  A Google search for 'tobacconists london' revealed several large stores in and around the centre of London.  The one that caught my eye was James Fox which I believe has a good reputation and has been around for a while. It also has the quintessential English tobacconist look too. ..

http://www.jjfox.co.uk/index.php?clicked18=true

Prepare yourself though Josh; baccy in Blighty carries a hefty price tag. There's a good chance that a shop that size will have what you're after but to be on the safe side it might be worth emailing them so they can order some in.
Speaking of Germains, my baccy of the moment is Germain's Royal Jersey Perique, a rather splendid VaPer. Thoroughly recommended.  
Enjoy Blighty Josh. I'm sure you've already got an itinerary but if you're after ideas, give me the nod.

Just remember, Cuban cigars are a NO/NO for US citizens !! Can't bring 'em back into the US and if they find 'em in your luggage, you get a fine and US Customs keeps the cigars :twisted: :twisted: But if you're going back to Kenya, it's probably alright !! :twisted: :twisted:

Have a great trip. I second JFox. If I'm spending a considerable amount of time overseas I try to pick up those very special tobaccos from where I am then use Rich at 4noggins for everything else as his international service is the dogs bollocks. Safe travels my friend and have an awesome time.

Sounds like it's going to be a wonderful Christmas for you and your wife!

Pack your woolies!!!! The wife and I have family in "The Mother Country." When we spend Christmas there, it's always a bit colder than we expect. Enjoy your holiday!!!! :santa: FTRPLT

I hope you have a safe trip and an excellent time!

Been a while since I last made my way round the London tobacconists. And even so, my focus then was primarily on cigars and not pipes or pipe weed.

Nevertheless, I always loved visiting Dunhill, Davidoff, Fox & Lewis (the "trifecta" around St. James Street), plus Sautter of Mayfair. Sadly, Shervingtons on on High Holbourn appears to have closed, and they seemed to have one of the best selections of pipes and 'baccy.

Wherever your journey may take you Josh, the reality is that the 'baccy will be 3-4 times the cost you might be used to, due to punitive taxation. Still, if the experience appeals then by all means visit.

Cheers,

RR

Have fun & safe travels! :D

Maybe send and email to Glynn Quelch at GQ tobacco? I am sure he can point you in the right direction..

Dublin is a mixed bag. We have the Peterson's shop on Nassau Street in the city centre. All of the Petersons's products you could possibly desire, with pipes at a significant discount (compared to online sources.) Petersons carry a small selection of other makers tobaccos - but nothing that you wont find in any decent shop in London.

Just around the corner is Fox's who have a good selection of Peterson's, Savinelli and Chacom pipes along with a Dunhill, Robert Lewis and their own tobacco (check out the loose versions of the Fox's tobacco - in particular I find that the loose version of the Bankers mixture is much better than the tinned stuff)

Be prepared for the feeling of pity you will experience when you see the prices Irish smokers pay for tobacco.

And that's about it. Two shops a few yards apart. There are a couple of other places that stock Petersons's pipes and tobacco but there really isn't any point seeking them out if you visit the shop.

Happy Holidays.

The Peterson shop discounts its own product? That must make their world-wide retailers do cartwheels of ecstasy.

If you're flying back via Gatwick (and probably Heathrow) they usually have 250g packs of Condor and St Bruno at about half our high street price.

Richard Burley":sw6r7s7t said:
The Peterson shop discounts its own product?  That must make their world-wide retailers do cartwheels of ecstasy.
Just the pipes alas (and maybe accessories too). The tobacco is much more expensive to buy in-store due to the taxes the Irish government charges. I suppose as long as you have to physically travel to Dublin world-wide retailers are not that put-out.

I have heard of pipes in the shop being almost half the price of online retailers (mind you that's anecdotal I've never experienced that level of difference)

<dl class="codebox hidecode"><dt style="border: none;"></dt><dd></dd></dl>
alandadp":q90zpfo9 said:
If you're flying back via Gatwick (and probably Heathrow) they usually have 250g packs of Condor and St Bruno at about half our high street price.
I see those whenever we go through Heathrow a lot, but what I really want is Germain stuff. Condor ghosts like a mother, and to be honest is not really worth the hassle to me, especially seeing as I only carry about 4 pipes with me while on the mission field.

apocrisiarius":xzpl3wc8 said:
Richard Burley":xzpl3wc8 said:
The Peterson shop discounts its own product?  That must make their world-wide retailers do cartwheels of ecstasy.
Just the pipes alas (and maybe accessories too). The tobacco is much more expensive to buy in-store due to the taxes the Irish government charges. I suppose as long as you have to physically travel to Dublin world-wide retailers are not that put-out.

I have heard of pipes in the shop being almost half the price of online retailers (mind you that's anecdotal I've never experienced that level of difference)
If I buy a pipe at all on this trip, it will be from Peterson's, that much I can assure you. I don't even like Peterson's, but I'll spring for one of their Outdoors Series if I see one.