Official Chattanooga Pipe Show

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpkrause

Reaction score
It is official. The Chattanooga Pipe Club will be hosting it's first pipe show on September 21st, 2013. We will be at the Chattanooga Billiards Club East (CBC Burns). We are putting together a vendor list and activities list right now. If you are interested or know someone that is interested in showing off their pipes or pipe accessories, send me a pm. Table fees are just $20 for the day.

Dan, it is great to hear that you are putting this pipe show together! Other than the St. Louis show, I am not aware of any other pipe shows here in the south, so this could develop into an awesome annual event! :cheers:

Just put it on the calendar. Chattanooga is certainly a shorter drive from Upper East Tennessee than Raleigh, or Richmond, the two shows I always try to attend. Sorry, I won't be renting a table. Things come in, but very little goes out.

Glad to hear you are coming out. Still working on all the details. Here is the mock up for a poster. The date is right but we are still working out the times. Thinking 11 am to 9 pm, depending on how many vendors we get and what events/activities we plan. I already have a local blues man lined up for entertainment.

The poster looks good. With the two pipe shows I know most about, vendor set-up usually starts around 7:00 AM, doors open to the public around 9:00 AM, and everything wraps up around 5:00 PM. There are usually informal get togethers in someone's hotel room(s) both before and after the show proper. Are you considering charging admission, and have you contacted any local hotels/motels concerning a special rate for the show. If there's one designated hotel, it usually makes it easier to get together with other like minded people and shoot the bull, trade pipes, etc. I'm no expert in pipe shows, by any means. These are just a few things I've observed just by going to shows now and then.

I am even less of an expert and your suggestions are greatly appreciated. I will start contacting hotels immediately. We are charging admission. We are going to hash out those details next meeting. I was thinking $5 and that gets you a raffle ticket for some door prizes. Possibly running a second raffle for some more prizes. What do you think?

We just booked our room for the show at the Hampton Inn, Airport. We'll be arriving on Friday and departing Sunday. I'm looking forward to it.

Only about a seven hour drive, I really really want to attend a pipe show eventually but it's hard to sell a vacation to go a pipe show to the wife lol.

Good to hear plans are being made. I. Keenum you need to sell your wife on how much fun she can have in Chattanooga. We are one of only 2 or 3 American cities that made World News top 45 places to visit in the world. If you just happen to stop in on a pipe show while you are here, I don't see the big deal.

Gonna have to do some research, I really don't get enough person to person interaction with other pipe smokers. Got fine friends to pick it up but they're mostly cigarette smokers.

Got approval from the misses were are gonna come up thursday and stay till saturday ! =D

We have 3 really big B&M pipe stores coming, 3 local carvers, and at least 2 estate vendors as of right now. I am working on getting more. Additionally, there will be a hat vendor, a local wood carver selling cuff links, cigar holders, and other such things. Plus I have a local blues guy that will be playing throughout the day and a regional distributor of scotch that will be hosting a tasting for a very reasonable rate. We will be having a raffle for prizes. I am trying to organize a slow smoke competition. This may or may not happen, as I do not have a lot experience with running one. I need to find a sponsor for this that knows what they are doing.

If this turns out anything like our local meetings, the best part will be the people that show up and share stories about pipes and their tobacco. I have tried many tobaccos thanks to the pipe club.

If this wasn't enough to entertain you for the day, our show ends just in time for everyone to head on over to the Tennessee Whiskey Festival (http://www.tnwhiskeyfestival.com/). Check it out.

I expect our little show will be a great time. We have the unique advantage of being one of the only pipe shows where you can smoke on site of the event. Plus we will have a few non pipe vendors, including the local barber shop selling shaving products.

Good news. I will have a tobacco sampling table featuring some very popular blends set up at the show. Just stop on by and load a bowl while at the show. Additionally, I may have found a sponsor for a slow smoke competition. This is shaping up to be a great event. Hope to see you there.

Can't wait, think we will be reserving a cabin out by rock city. You have any dog friendly suggestions in where to stay?

...Many years ago we had an organization in Chattanooga; CAPS...Chattanooga Area Pipe Smokers...Nashville had NAPS and Memphis had MAPS. I was involved with the group from 1965-1981...Unfortunately, many of the founding members passed away, and many of the younger members didn't feel like keeping things together. Between 81-88 the last five of us got together twice a month to visit and smoke...I am the last of that group.

Perhaps there is a renewed interest, and if so, best wishes! I never met a "stranger" at our meetings and get-togethers and that says a lot about those of us in the "Briar Brotherhood...:cheers: 

The first of the tobacco for the tobacco tasting table at the Chattanooga Pipe Show came in this week. Thank you GL Pease and Cornell & Diehle. I really like the literature you sent along with the tobacco. It is going to be tough to not open a few of these for a taste before the show.