Oh Man...Too Much Nic

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tleek

Reaction score
Listen, i know very little about cigars, but i smoke a couple a week.
I decided to smoke a perdomo this morning and boy, might have been a mistake on an empty stomach.
it was a churchill shape, so it wasnt a little cigar, and immediately after finishing i got dizzy, sweaty, and nauseous.
I even vomited :oops:
the last time i smoked one of those i felt sick also, but the weird thing is i smoke every day and am no stranger to nicotine.
that one just must not agree with me.

If you smoke a full-bodied (high nicotine) cigar or full-bodied pipe tobacco, be sure you've eaten a moderate to large meal within an hour of lighting up. The symptoms you describe are classic and due to nicotine overload. The trick is to be aware, and as soon as you start feeling queasy or nauseous, put the smoke down. You have about two minutes from the onset before you are sticking your head into a toilet.

Interesting. I've smoked a lot of cigars, but never had one that made me feel nauseous or ill. I've had several pipe tobaccos do that, particuarly on an empty stomach (Old Dublin, SG Brown #4, SG FVF). I haven't smoke a cigar in over a year now, I wonder if that would one would effect me now? I loved a Maduro wrapper, the darker the better (Henry Clay a favorite).

It's best to keep a sugary soda near you when you're smoking something that might give you nicotine fits. The nicotine drops your blood sugar, so you can counteract that by having a few sips of something sweet.

Just curious: what Perdomo were you smoking? I've never noticed them to be particularly strong.

It happens, it isn't pleasant. Don't worry too much about it - I think of it as a good thing, means you haven't built up much of a tolerance to nicotine, which is probably good. OJ or regular soda will help.

Ya the weird thing is I can smoke strong blends all day without getting sick.
i've smoked nightcap first thing in the morning no problemo. And, that's the only cigar to ever do it to me. Must be extra heavy on the nicotine

Keep in mind that "heavy" in terms of flavor does not necessarily equate to heavy nicotine. OJK always surprises me. I just saw a graph somewhere showing the nicotine content of different tobaccos and Latakia was on the low end of the spectrum while burley was the highest. VA was in middle. But then again the strongest thing I smoke is Brown Bogie which is a VA blend.

tleek":s9ybwf47 said:
, and immediately after finishing i got dizzy, sweaty, and nauseous.
I even vomited
Been there. If you don't stop it before it starts, there's not much to do but ride out the storm.

...hey, at least there's no hangover.

I just want to add one thing. I smoked ONE Perdomo, and only one. This may have been a one time deal or how I cut it, I do not know, but all I tasted from that cigar was foul and it made me very sick. I have smoked Monte 2s or Tatuaje T110s in the morning, so it wasn't an empty stomach or morning thing. It was like every bad thing collected and injected into my system. I think it was a Champagne Annie, which came highly recommended. Anyway, who knows?

Haven't smoked one since and am totally cool with that.

My tolerance for a stiff pipe blend is greater than for a high-nicotine cigar. I can't smoke more than a half of a Pardon Anniversary '26 if I haven't eaten.

Behike54":aa7fvt9m said:
I just want to add one thing. I smoked ONE Perdomo, and only one. This may have been a one time deal or how I cut it, I do not know, but all I tasted from that cigar was foul and it made me very sick. I have smoked Monte 2s or Tatuaje T110s in the morning, so it wasn't an empty stomach or morning thing. It was like every bad thing collected and injected into my system. I think it was a Champagne Annie, which came highly recommended. Anyway, who knows?

Haven't smoked one since and am totally cool with that.
I would say it wasn't a one-time deal.

Most of the Perdomo cigars aren't of the highest quality. If you're smoking nice, smooth CCs or premium-tobacco Tatuajes, the Perdomo would definitely be a step down.

The sugary soda on the side is a great idea! I have always told my non-smoking friends that want to come have a cigar with me at my weekly herf to bring a sugar packet with them. In the case that they become overridden by nicotine, I have them put the sugar under their tongue and let it dissolve. It cures the issues almost immediately.

I even keep a couple in my herf-a-dor (portable humi) just in case!