Oh pooh, birth year Dunhill

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Briar Spirit

Reaction score
Oh how the fates can be so cruel, how often does one come across a birth year Dunhill AND in the shape you love the most from their lines.

004-002-9379_4.jpg

1968 Dunhill Root Briar

Have a looksee:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/england/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=169161

Aint she a beauty, I am seriously loving this pipe, oh to be rich eh.

Thank you for the kindness Walt, alas this is not my pipe, I couldn't afford even if I weren't totally broke right now, just saw it whilst perusing smoking pipes, was feeling sorry for myself so attempted to ease my frustrations of no pipe ownership by looking at the beauties they have there, man was that a mistake, now I have extreme pipe envy. :)

If it makes you feel any better, IMHO, this pipe is just a wee bit :p overpriced. I love DH #56's plus this is a Root Briar. The 9mm filter turns me off (probably made for the European market). But still overpriced, at least to me!! :cheers: FTRPLT

Only $525.00 ? Hell a new ones over $700.00 !! It's a steal at that price !! :twisted: :twisted: NOT !!! :twisted: But it is PRETTY !! :twisted: :twisted:

Yeah, the price is outrageous, I wouldn't pay it even if I could afford to do so, just struck me as ironic that I should find a birth year Dunhill in the shape I enjoy the most of the Dunhill pipes that is out of my reach, life is a cruel blighter at times isn't it. :)

That's a bit overpriced. A '68 in that shape/condition should be around $275-$300 ( I found a '61 120 shape for under $200). The 9 mm filter would also knock some value off the pipe. I think it will be there for a while.

I'll buy it... If they move the decimal point left a notch or two. :D

Go buy a Pete or a Sav or some such and stick the other $500 in your Zombie 'Pocalyse Fund.

puros_bran":dlufisil said:

Go buy a Pete or a Sav or some such and stick the other $500 in your Zombie 'Pocalyse Fund.
Wouldn't buy it even if I could Buddy, just a pipe dream (excuse the pun), when I can afford to get a pipe I will be buying a cheap and cheerful Parker Special. :)

I like this pipe. I like that it uses a 9mm filter and but for the price I'd buy it. Now if it was about $450.00 less... :)

AJ

The shape is grand enough isn't it lads, about the only other maker I have seen to make that shape so well are Comoy's.

puros_bran":yrsdrogs said:

AGREE !!!

Ah one of my favorite shapes. They've lost their minds on the price but what a looker. Chin up mate you'll be smoking again before you know it.

Jim

huffelpuff":pl72gh7y said:
Ah one of my favorite shapes. They've lost their minds on the price but what a looker. Chin up mate you'll be smoking again before you know it.

Jim
It's a shape I have often wanted to try my hand at but my drill press is damn unreliable with drilling bent pipes, heck it was weird enough drilling a straight pipe with my knackered eyes. :)

Don't you go worrying about me old son, just got a waiting game on my hands is all, heck it's been a few weeks now so another 4 more wont kill me, blasted well annoying right enough but what can you do eh.

eklektos44":tvvlawui said:
Actually, if I were just starting out, and knew with absolute certainty that I would be limiting myself to exactly a half dozen pipes to keep forever, I think I would spring for this one. But we all know how that would go. I even tried it once, beginning with a Dunhill billiard purchased at Nat Sherman's in NY. Spendy as hell, but it's a friggin' new 1956 Dunhill! (Allegedly.)

Richard Burley":niwbat3p said:
eklektos44":niwbat3p said:
Actually, if I were just starting out, and knew with absolute certainty that I would be limiting myself to exactly a half dozen pipes to keep forever, I think I would spring for this one. But we all know how that would go. I even tried it once, beginning with a Dunhill billiard purchased at Nat Sherman's in NY. Spendy as hell, but it's a friggin' new 1956 Dunhill! (Allegedly.)
I might pay that much for a group 5 or 6 shell, but not a group 3.

Briar Spirit":ckp1lkkv said:
eklektos44":ckp1lkkv said:

That is a very nice looking Dunhill make no mistake, even if I could afford it I wouldn't buy it myself, I reckon I'm going to go with all full bent pipes in the future, just not in that price range. :)
It's academic for me at this point. It's fall and that means hiking weather. My gear is about 3 years old and there's a whole spate of new ultralite stuff out at more reasonable prices. I figure I can shave 12-15 lbs off my pack weight. So it's new gear for me for a while.