Oily cake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isagar

Reaction score
I have one bent pipe in my rotation that always have oily cake. I dry ream all my pipes after smoking, that is, wiping the chamber with tissues, minor scraping with a tool and keeping the cake to a minimum. All my other pipes and cobs have a dry cake except this one and I'm certain it's not the tobacco as I've smoked the blend in another pipe with fine result.

Any ideas here?

FYI the pipe is a 150 dollar comission from a not very well known danish maker and I'm pretty sure he only spent like 1 hour or less on the pipe itself as its an egg shape with major asymmetry issue and its a 1/4 bent but doesn't pass a pipe cleaner with ease.

Isagar":d4q9uxik said:
I have one bent pipe in my rotation that always have oily cake. I dry ream all my pipes after smoking, that is, wiping the chamber with tissues, minor scraping with a tool and keeping the cake to a minimum. All my other pipes and cobs have a dry cake except this one and I'm certain it's not the tobacco as I've smoked the blend in another pipe with fine result.

Any ideas here?

FYI the pipe is a 150 dollar comission from a not very well known danish maker and I'm pretty sure he only spent like 1 hour or less on the pipe itself as its an egg shape with major asymmetry issue and its a 1/4 bent but doesn't pass a pipe cleaner with ease.
From what you have said, I think the quality of the briar/curing methods are in question.

Well I do own another pipe from the same maker, a non-commissioned bulldog that smokes like a charm.

So i guess the briar is the biggest culprit? I mean, i do have a few much more inferior machine made pipes that are fine tho.

Sounds like your boy is using fresh briar, which for pipes isn't good. In fact, are you sure it's briar?

Is it actually oily, or does it just look shiny?

I've found that the cake which forms when you smoke at high temperature tends to have a more crystalline quality. That can appear to be shinier, or perhaps oily looking.

Gonna go out on a limb here... I think perhaps we're talking about "soft cake?" The kind of cake that balls up in tar-like bits when scraped rather than has a crispy, rock-like nature? The kind of cake that when touched feels like earwax? The kind of cake that smells a little sour rather than a little sweet?

I used to have this problem in a few of my pipes. A few things contributed to this, and I studied it a little via personal trials.

* Pipe age--a seasoned pipe with an established cake seems to keep caking the right way a vast majority of the time...newer pipes can be susceptible to soft caking.

* Tobacco type--aromatics, usually saturated with propylene glycol can be a big problem. Propylene glycol never evaporates, but it will vaporize. If the pipe isn't brought up to temperature, the stuff can penetrate solid cake and turn it into a mess after a few bowls. Fortunately, smoking a non-aromatic mixture a half dozen times (and smoking it properly) will cure the soft cake into hard cake pretty quickly.

* Packing and tamping--if a smoker doesn't have a real "method" that works for him or her in these two realms, it may lead to some soft caking. Loose packing can throw out a glut of instant moisture and heat that only partially "cakes" a pipe. If this is done repeatedly, it's layers up on layers of cake that's only gone through half the process. Tamping comes into play because messing with the tobacco too much, mixing it around mid-smoke, playing with it, dumping out ash, defeats the dynamics that happen with the heating of tobacco during combustion--thus, half-baked cake.

* Resting--let your pipes take a break. If you're pounding them three times a day, every day, they may be a little moist. Some briars have different internal structure and grain than others, and will absorb (or resist) moisture better than others. That said, they also dry out at varying rates. I've found pipes that have softer cake (or softened cake) often are asking for a little more time to sit before the next smoke.

Combinations of any of the above can result in what seems like a "constant soft cake problem," for if you solve one, and not another, it can seem like a never ending battle.

Just keep it simple. Get decent tobacco, go slow, smoke full (or at least properly packed/tamped partial) bowls. Let pipes rest. Don't constantly fuss over cake, it can manage itself, and becomes obvious when it would like some attention.

These are simple devices, you just gotta let 'em be pipes, find your rhythm while interacting. They're patient, too--a lesson any of us could learn more about if we listen to 'em. :lol:

8)

Kyle Weiss":nbs81s0l said:
Don't constantly fuss over cake, it can manage itself, and becomes obvious when it would like some attention.

8)
This +1

The characteristics of the cake would seem to be irrelevant. The point is always:

was the flavor on target?
did you take time to enjoy that bowl?
smoking technique-especially did I smoke this bowl too fast? The answer is always yes as
you can always smoke more slowly. Smoking slowly means that you won't burn your
mouth and can thus smoke another bowl that much sooner.

I had an estate pipe once that came to me in quite a state, and it had a very soft, almost gooey cake. After reaming it down and cleaning thoroughly, it's been fine, with no return of the soft cake.

Thanks for all the insightful reply guys.

I guess the biggest issue I have with it is not so much the 'oily cake' but the fact that with the oily cake the tobacco tasted different than normal. Not in a good way.

I think the 2 problems I've identified is 1. very young/bad briar and 2. packing. Cause the pipe's chamber is very small and conical shaped. I can't even fit half my thumb in it and I have a small hand. So every time i pack it, it just doesn't feel 'right'.

Aha.

Conical-chambered pipes are wonderful things, but I have a pipe that has quite a "V" shape that threw me off for a long time. What fixed it was not adhering to the "three-stage" packing and just using a gravity-fill, press and top-off kind of hybrid method I've develop. It works for me, literally, just filling the pipe, testing the draft, and smoking. Simplification. Works with all chamber shapes, now.

I find the "V" chambers work particularly well with chunky Latakia. *shrug* Could be bullocks for the next chap.

In the end, you'll find a marriage of it all and notice that your pipes that are performing well and delivering good smokes are, at the same time, magically building ideal cake. Without even trying.

8)

Hmm, actually thinking thru all my pipes, I noticed I've only got 2 pipes with conical shaped chamber. The first is a freehand Nording horn and it is my worst smoker period. And second is this egg.

Maybe it's all in the way I pack the tobacco, I'll give your method a go and see how it is.

Greatly appreciate your help brother!

Hey, one guy's salvation is the bullpucky of another, just gotta try a few, or invent a method of your own...if something works, hallelujah.

Just keep it simple, and revert back to that mantra as needed.

8)