Ok...get me started

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idbowman

Reaction score
Alright guys. It's time to stop hemming and hawing, so I'm gonna go ahead and make my first snuff purchase. So...point me in the right direction:

What are some solid options for someone new to the snuff game? Not necessarily which scents (I can sort that out based on my own tastes), but which manufacturers/lines/specific qualities are good for a beginner? Also, and maybe this sounds odd (or maybe not), but I'm intrigued by the thought of a pine scented snuff - anyone have any good recommendations there?

Thanks, guys.

A good start? Berwick Brown by Toque. It was this snuff that kept me interested in the whole idea of snuff. I eventually gave up snuff, but thought Berwick Brown was good stuff.

I bought my one and only shipment at Mr. Snuff.

Mr. Snuff is awesome.
I can't think of a pine scented one off the top of my head, but there probably is one from Wilsons of Sharrow.

To start I would have to recommend:
Samuel Gawith- Apricot (I am not an apricot fan but the consistency is awesome and easily snuffed)
If you think you can handle tonquin in your nose and a clumpy snuff Samuel Gawith Elmo's Reserve is nice.
F&T Morlaix

So far Toque has only given me a couple snuffs I actually enjoy, I just personally don't like the way they come when you first open them; they seem wet and I have to scrape some off to snuff (chocolate was not like that though). I am more often let down by Toque than any other brand so far, YMMV as others will point out.

The De Kralingse ones seem to be a little coarser, and they have some nice latakia snuffs (which make me sneeze).

Wilson of Sharrow are all fine ground from the 8 or so I have tried. And they so far have all been good.

F&T is made by WoS but they use the old F&T recipes so you can get the same named blend from each and have different tasting snuffs. So far F&T Morlaix is my favorite snuff.

Samuel Gawith has a wide range, some fine grind and some coarse so read reviews on them before you pull the trigger.

Gawith Hoggarth is about the same as Sam G in my opinion so far, have tried 5 of their blends.

Abraxas- Dragun is good stuff with a medium grind, but has chili powder of something similar in it to get used to.

Paul Gottard snuffs (tried 2) were both coarser grinds.

Use the code fblike for 10% off. Can't remember if you can combine coupons but they normally have shipping coupons too that save because shipping can be pricey, so I always order enough to get the discount.

Some people recommend a coarser grind for beginner so you don't sniff to hard, but I have to admit that the fine grinds are easiest for me. You can use the Wizard over on Mr. Snuff to search by criteria, and they have reviews of the different snuffs. I just sort of buy a ton of them to try them all out, like I do with pipe tobacco. There are good tips over at www.snuffhouse.org not to push another forum on you or anything but you can look and read there, or ask here. The fine grinds you just sort of inhale them, not really a sniff, while the coarser you will sniff some. Just sits in the front to mid nose, you don't want it to go back too far that it hits your throat. Orders over $40.00 they give you a free snuff spoon, if you get the option for the darn 6 photo free snuff avoid it, it sucks IMO. You can also use your 3 way tool's spoon as a snuff spoon which is what I do. To start though I'd recommend the pinch method. (Pinch half a pea between thumb and index then slowly inhale it up into your nose, you have more control this way IMO which was nice when I started doing it).

So many manufacturers and so little memory right now. If you have specific questions just holler brother. We gotcha covered on our end for help I think.

Great right up Kaiser.

Not much if anything to add!

Other than Toque snuffs come very fresh usually. Especially when purchased directly from Toque.
Sometimes you get an ammonia scent that puts some people off but that is an indication of freshness in snuff. Airing it out for a couple hours makes it go away.

Question for those of you that have placed an order with Mr. Snuff.

Typically how long does it take to receive shipments from them via Royal Air Mail Service once shipped?

My average has been 11 or 12 days. It has come in as few as 6 and the max was around 36 days. That obviously skewed the average up a bit. That was around Christmas of 2011. Customs really slowed down the shipments.

So sometimes they are delayed but they always come.

Never ordered from Mrsnuff but normal Royal Air takes about 10 days for my location also.