OK so I'm in love

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm in love, but love is a cruel mistress sometimes.

Saw this pipe that PD posted on some other thread a while back. I was immediately beguiled!

:cyclops:

Actually I was already considering another XL26 shape when this just overwhelmed me!

Problem is that it's out of production and oos everywhere I've looked. Our own ever resourceful BH found one on a UK site, but it turned out to be a wild goose chase as the e-tailer didn't really have it in stock! There were a few days in correspondence where my spirits were accordingly raised and then lowered.....

:x

Tried the usual google thing and came up empty handed. Also gave some consideration to joining the Peterson board to see if there was any hope. But establishing myself on another board is not on my bucket list.

Anyway, here's the sweetheart I'm ISO, and while the pic shows a fishtail I've also seen it in a p-lip. Either way is good. Any leads lmk, and TIA.

:cheers:
002-0211.jpg
javascript:emoticon

1luvu.gif

Patience young Skywalker......

These are not out of production, just out of stock. In my own search not too long back I ended up in a discussion with some Peterson People in the Know (the US distributor) and was informed that Peterson simply is backlogged on a lot of stuff, they're behind schedule, having trouble sourcing briar, swamped with orders, and the like. If you truly want the pipe you know the drill, pre order it through a reliable vendor (like the one who snapped that fine photograph you posted). What's worse than paying up front and then waiting long weeks or months for you pipe to materialize? Seeing that the thing showed up and was snatched up by some other unscrupulous buyer, like me. I like that one too :)

That smooth natural finish from COJ is abut $200 higher than the red spigot at Iwan Ries. They go for about $160. I have an 80S and a 999 in the red spigot, and if the funds and pipe align at the same time, I would like to grab that Xl 26 in the Red Spigot finish too.

And the XL 13, and the XL 23, and the XL 24, and....... :bball:

Dragging up an old thread, but the dream has now become a reality-

Just took delivery of the much sought after XL26 Red Spigot today! The UK tobacconist finally received it about a week ago, and he forwarded me several pics at my request in order to determine if it actually was the exact one I had sent him a stock pic of back in October of '12. Here's the stock pic, but mine looks exactly like this one.

And yes, it's an acrylic fishtail instead of a vulcanite p-lip-

002-0211.jpg

The pics he sent me were from his cell phone and weren't that great from a quality standpoint, but it served to show me that it was the exact pipe. So we went forward.

After a query from me about the quoted price, they were able to remove the UK VAT since it was being delivered out of the country. So I got it for essentially £76.00 plus £10.40 shipping w/tracking.

At present exchange rates that's about $135.60, plus whatever % my cc charges to process the international transaction. Shouldn't be significant.

Frankly that's significantly less than what I figured it would cost, based on other research.

The pipe took exactly a week to ship, and arrived in perfect condition. I'll let it rest a few days before starting to break it in. Damn, but it's pretty!

I hasten to add that this particular tobacconist really went to bat and delivered for me, as pretty much all the other sources told me that it wasn't possible to special order one of these and that they were out of production.

So I had pretty much given up all hope of ever obtaining a new one and resigned myself to haunting e-bait in the remote hopes that someone would give one of them up at some point. Foolish thinking!

Ya, it took like 8 months. But the tobacconist did advise that it would very probably take 6-12 months. So I can't be dissatisfied with the lead time. He did say early on that Peterson was having a hard time obtaining larger burls for a pipe of this size.

One downside is that it does have a bowl coating, which I don't really like. However it looks like all Petes have this nowadays. I've broken in other Petes with them and they've been fine smokers. Just don't necessarily like the idea. Prefer to coat the bowl myself, as it were!

:rabbit:

Happy ending!

8)

And my sincere thanks to our esteemed brother Greyson, who went to the time and trouble to query several UK tobacconists in an effort to put me in touch with someone who could help me realize this dream! I won't soon forget this me ol' mucker!

:cheers:

Cheers,

RR

Real classy look & I'm a sucker for a Peterson. Where's that line start again :)

BTW, that was a helluva good price. You ought to share the vendor and give him his props.

Woo Hoo!!!  I knew you'd find one eventually! I'm so happy this came together for you. I've got an XL 26 on my shopping list too. Congrats on finally landing your white whale!

Puff Daddy":y6ytebyi said:
Outstanding! Gotta post pics of the actual pipe now, you know.
Yes, I'll do that in due course.

Puff Daddy":y6ytebyi said:
BTW, that was a helluva good price. You ought to share the vendor and give him his props.
Quite right.

Here's the details-

Black Swan Shoppe Ltd
12 Bar Street  
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
YO11 2HT

Email: [email protected]
Tel: 01723 500955

The proprietor is Kris. He's a great guy to work with. Very accommodating. I highly recommend him.

I hasten to add he might have ordered a couple of these. So if one is interested, get in touch right away!

Ocelot55":y6ytebyi said:
Woo Hoo!!! I knew you'd find one eventually! I'm so happy this came together for you. I've got an XL 26 on my shopping list too. Congrats on finally landing your white whale!
Jesse you have also been the epitome of kindness on my quest, as you've forwarded me several e-bay posts in the past. That you took the time and interest in this speaks volumes about your integrity. I'll be looking to you in the future for a hand crafted Jesse Jones Pipe!

Don't want to get all sloppy here, but this board consistently amazes me in their kindness and helpfulness. It means a lot and I'm proud to be a member!

Greyson is gonna find out what payback really means tho.............:twisted:  

Cheers,

RR

Cool! Glad it only took a year to sort out. Funny I said I wanted one back then... I wouldn't fit the aesthetic and usability I look for in a pipe these days. lol

Kyle Weiss":ahh5t22s said:
Cool!   Glad it only took a year to sort out.   Funny I said I wanted one back then... I wouldn't fit the aesthetic and usability I look for in a pipe these days.   lol
You've changed...:roll:

Nice story, I'm glad it had a happy ending!
imagepng
imagepng

Great looking pipe - it is going to feel like such a win when you first smoke it.
imagegif

Fraternally

Jets

'VERY' nice Pete you got yourself there and for such a great price too, very pleased you have it with you now, when you break her in I hope it proves to smoke exceedingly well for you. :cheers: