Okay, really staring to question my choices

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaydeG

Reaction score
I'm still new to the world of pipes (about a year) but I'm starting to question whether or not I've got much of a palette for tobacco. I've truly enjoyed several blends but now I'm stumped.

A.) I love licorice. I've had it in all forms but especially fond of Sambuca, Ouzo and Turkish Raki. Any of these with a cold beer is near heaven for me. I recently tried Blackpool looking forward to the licorice notes - not there. Tried several times and I absolutely cannot get even a hint of licorice. It's very enjoyable - smokey, rich and relaxing but no licorice.

B.) Pembroke... Cognac? Can't taste it. No hint, note or clue. As a matter of fact, I found it rather bland, flat and bordering on tasteless.
Any one else have this experience with these or other tobacs?

It's been a long while since I have smoked Pembroke but as I remember their was more than just a hint of Cognac. Do you have a cold?

Pembroke definitely has something, it's just hard to pinpoint exactly what it is. Could be Cognac, or, could be something else.

WaydeG":z79wjc46 said:
I love licorice...I recently tried Blackpool looking forward to the licorice notes - not there. Tried several times and I absolutely cannot get even a hint of licorice. It's very enjoyable - smokey, rich and relaxing but no licorice.
I have Ramsgate and I can definitely taste the licorice. I've heard that Blackpool has less of an anise taste, so maybe give Ramsgate a go.

Another anise flavored tobacco I've had (that is also a lat blend) is Blenheim from C&D. That is very licorice-ey.