Okay...so I tried Royal Yacht for the first time today...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falcon65

Reaction score
I picked up some Royal Yacht at The Humidor Pipe Shop in Huntsville Ala. this weekend. Btw, that is a great shop and the people were very friendly and patient with my Newbie questions. Anyway, the flavor was alright I guess and the Vitamin N was good, but it made me have a burning sensation in the back of my throat. Has anyone else had a tobacco treat them this way?

While not with Royal Yacht (haven't tried it yet), I have experienced this with other to bacca, especially if I'm not careful to keep my fluids going (tea or some such).

Falcon65":h5pzqoe8 said:
I picked up some Royal Yacht at The Humidor Pipe Shop in Huntsville Ala. this weekend. Btw, that is a great shop and the people were very friendly and patient with my Newbie questions. Anyway, the flavor was alright I guess and the Vitamin N was good, but it made me have a burning sensation in the back of my throat. Has anyone else had a tobacco treat them this way?
I missed your post but from what you've stated, I have to ask do you inhale when you smoke your pipe? I have gotten as what you describe in my throat but ONLY when I have inhalled a good bit down my throat and RY can do that if you inhale a lot of it due to the Nic strength it has. Otherwise, it does not bother me :p But then, everyones body reacts to different stimuly differently :p

monbla256 said:
Falcon65":l9btaxsc said:
...from what you've stated, I have to ask do you inhale when you smoke your pipe?
That was my first though, as well. We've had a lot of new guys lately, and some of them are new pipe smokers who might not realize that pipe smoke should not be inhaled. I read through your other posts and determined that this is probably not the case for you, so no offense. :D (BTW, I'm a Lovecraft fan as well) When I tried Royal Yacht I was actually impressed by how little bite it had. I did get a noticeable "sting", however, when protohaling or "snorking", that is, releasing the smoke through the nose without actually inhaling. Perhaps your smoking style just draws the smoke further into your throat than most do. Then again, there's that body chemistry thing. Some baccys just don't play nice with some people. Hope you find something that agrees with you better.

Thanks for the help fellas. I have been enjoying pipes for over a year now and I am eager to learn from you long timers. I came over to pipes from cigars so I do not inhale and since I smoked a bunch of pretty strong cigars I know my parameters with vitamin N. This felt more like a body reaction. I do not have the same issue with either nightcap or 965 which I smoke regularly. RY is a good tasting smoke so I am going to try it in a different pipe. Thanks for all the help...you guys very patient with new guys!

Some strong tobaccos will do that. Back in the sixties when I first tried it, it was called Royal Yuck, but I haven't tried it lately.

Great stuff. Usually something the experienced smoker likes. It can be very unfriendly to newer smokers. :sunny:

Falcon65":or9vex5a said:
I usually have this reaction when there's a certain amount of perique in the blend. I fact, the "tingling" in the back of my throat is a greater indicator of perique to me than the spicy flavor!