Oklahoma boy here

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarsrum

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to announce my presence here. I was directed from a close friend and pipe expert (at least, in comparison to myself), as well as a few other good sites to look at pipes and tobaccos. I actually just got my first pipe yesterday, and smoked for the first time a couple hours after purchasing it. Not a very expensive piece, but smoked well and was enough to get me hooked already!

Along with the pipe, I picked up a couple ounces of black cavendish tobacco, an ounce of whiskey cavendish, and a couple small sample bags of rum cured cavendish (rum being my booze of choice most times, next to beer), and I'm already itching to get another pipe so I can rotate out and smoke more often. Would love to acquire a good meerschaum soon.

Any tips/tricks/advice you would care to bestow on a new addict would be greatly appreciated, from good pipes to start with to good tobacco blends to try, I'm all ears.

Also, along the new pipes category, my girlfriend was a tad upset when she heard I bought a pipe yesterday, I'd been talking about it for a few months, and apparently her plan for a Valentine's Day gift was to get me a pipe. I'm still encouraging her to do so, but after the crash course in pipes I received yesterday (my previously mentioned friend having 15 in his collection), I'd feel bad if she got something very expensive for me. So, any decent beginner's pipes that wouldn't make me feel guilty for receiving them as a gift from her that I could point her towards would be much appreciated.

I look forward to diving headfirst into this new hobby!

Welcome aboard, Aarsrum. To the forum as well as the hobby. Don't shy away from corncob pipes. They may look funky, but they're the best way to quickly expand your rotation on a budget.

Thanks. Honestly I think they look pretty cool, as well as being in line with my country heritage.

Welcome to the forums! I'm sure you'll pick up the knowledge you're looking for -- a starter pipe, three different tobaccos, plus a pipe tool and a cob & you'll be ready to go full time!

"T"

aarsrum":rtt9cjp5 said:
Thanks. Honestly I think they look pretty cool, as well as being in line with my country heritage.
Good man! corncobpipe.com is the website you want for Missouri Meerschaum, the only company making serious cobs these days.

Welcome to the BoB aarsrum, I hope you enjoy yourself here.

As to your question about starter pipes - as with most hobbies you can go as expensive as you want really, but past a certain point you're not really paying for a better smoke any more. When I started I was advised not to go for a cheap pipe, as a cheap pipe can give you a horrible experience and that's not going to give you a fair assessment of this hobby. So I chose a Peterson, they are usually about £45 / $60 for a decent pipe, but anything you can buy from a proper tobacconists is probably going to be fit for purpose.

The only thing I'd advise is that you stay away from pipes on ebay or other 'bargain bin' type shops, there's a lot of very poor quality pipe makers mass producing out there, it can be a bit of a minefield and your chances of finding a good one in the mix are low.

I'm really digging the warm welcome, thanks to all of you.

George, yeah that was actually the exact same website a basic Google search led me to. They're pretty stylish, and at those prices I could get a few at a time and start up a good rotation.

Greyson, yeah I can see how, as with anything handmade and of quality, after a certain point it's more about the form than the function when it comes to it's value. The one I got was from a local cigar/tobacco shop. Not a huge place, but big enough for my small town, and a decent selection. My buddy referred to the one I got as a "second", possessing some sort of inherent defect where the maker wouldn't want to stamp their name on it. Seems just fine to me, smoked very well, but I'm sure I could get better than just a $25 pipe. But, like I mentioned, it was enough to get me hooked. I'll see if I can get some pics and put them up.

I'm trying very hard to stay away from eBay, it's my general go-to for just about anything. That or Amazon. I'm a big proponent of online buying.

It's been a busy day for me, but hopefully shortly I'll be able to sit down and get a better tour of the site.

Again, thank you all.

Hello and welcome to BoB, about your good lady and getting you a pipe, shooooooooooosh, are you mad man, given enough time she will not be so okay with your new psychological illnesses, IE TAD & PAD, my advice, let her buy you a pipe before it's too late, you've been warned..................... :twisted: :lol: :twisted:

Hahaha. Thank you, and even though I had to look up what PAD and TAD were, I fear I may already have PAD. I'm not saying I don't want her to get me one, she can get me whatever she wants, I'm just not used to people buying things for me, so I'd rather not make her break the bank just for me. But if she did, I'm sure I could find a way to repay her... :twisted:

That's the spirit ol'boy, PAD mode 'Engaged', most excellent, and onward she goes.......... :cheers: :bounce: :cheers: :bounce:

Welcome!

Another option for a gift pipe is estate pipes from sme of the online retailers. Smokingpipes.com has a good selection and vikingclubpipes.com has some very good values. Viking Club is owned by a forum member.

Eh, 15 pipes is a drop in the bucket to some of the guys around here! The point is, ya can never have enough! Welcome to the club! (And remember, my first pipe was a "second" too.)