Old Boy Lighter

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Piffyr":rnn9q06m said:
Brewdude":rnn9q06m said:
Guess I'll stick with penny matches, my cheap IMCO butane, and the Zippo. Just the way I roll.
I roll in the same direction, Rande. Matches, Bic, and a Zippo are a combination that works well for me in just about any situation. I love the styling of the Old Boys and the like, and if I were to find one for $20 or $30 like Josh did I'd probably jump on it. Until then though, I'll stick with what's been working for me.

I do need to get another case for my Zippo though. It turns out that mostly black wasn't the smartest color choice. That is one of the losiest things I have ever owned. It likes to play "ninja" and hide in the shadows.
Yeah, those were pretty unheard of deals. Never looked back though. Both are going 4 years strong.

I prefer the kitchen match which offers three noteworthy plusses: cheap, very controllable, cool flame. Frustrating outdoors in a breeze, though. So I also carry a Zippo with the pipe chimney. I've found my Zippos have the three plusses of the 'umble match, plus wind proof. The match has the edge, I'd say, for the initial light, my strategy being to light a portion in the center and then gently sip it down through the rest of the bowl. Users of gas lighters seem to believe that the idea is to torch the tobak to mid-bowl level, as if they're cranking up a cooking fire. All you need to do to start is get a patch of top embers aglow and heat the surrounding pipe weed, thereby releasing the fine tobacco aroma. I think P&C has an essay on its site comparing the process to slow cooker vs. Broiler and asking , "Which smells better?"