Old Boy or PipeMaster

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've pretty much given in and am going to buy a fancy new lighter. I use my Zippo w/ pipe insert a lot, but well, I just want a new lighter 8)

I see there are a lot of you that swear by the Old Boy, but what about the PipeMaster? The flame is a full 90 degrees so maybe it would be a *little* bit better for pipes? They both look pretty damn swish.

Thoughts??

I have been using a Colibri Connaught II for about a year with great results. However, if I were going to drop a buck and a quarter for a lighter, it would certainly be the Old Boy.

Treated myself to a IM Corona old boy recently and I'm very happy with it. Good quality build, reliable striking, good angle flame. Probably the best lighter I've ever owned.

Spud has a beauty of an Old Boy for sale in the Trading Post... Just sayin'

I've never cared for the look of the PipeMaster. Always looked to me like something an old woman would stick into her soft pack of Virginia Slims.

Anyone tried one of the "Old Boy-style" Peterson lighters? Be interested to know how the build quality compares...

If you like thr design of the pipmaster you would be better off getting the IM corona pipe Magie I have one and it works great it holds about 1/2 the butane of an old boy uses aflint ignition and has a 90 deg flame. It is a flip top lighter like the roller. The problem with the pipe master is the electronic ignition. If you need a picture I can post it. FYI I think the pipe magie is is one of the oldest designs in IM Coronas line. MIKE

unwelcomeguest":u3i4w3i1 said:
Thanks Mike, that Magie looks really nice. Is it a candle flame?
yes it is. To answer the other question about Peterson lighters I believe they are also made by IM Corona, like the Savinelli's as you can get the coronas serviced by them also. MIKE

c02213.jpg[/img][/url]

Mike, you've convinced me! I've pulled the trigger on a gold Pipe Magie. Hopefully won't be too long until I receive it.

One last question: do all Corona lighters use the same flints?

It looks like something from the man with the golden gun. In a good way!

Greyson":is8zqksz said:
It looks like something from the man with the golden gun. In a good way!
That's a large part of the reason I bought it! :) The old boy is a bit more "steam punk"..

They all use the same flints. If you keep looking on ebay they shoe up used every now and then between $30.00 and $50.00 MIKE

I got my Pipe Magie a couple days ago - daaaayum, it's handsome! Great lighter, too. The flame is really soft and easy to control. Really pleased with it.

unwelcomeguest":hz961n7d said:
So I've pretty much given in and am going to buy a fancy new lighter. I use my Zippo w/ pipe insert a lot, but well, I just want a new lighter 8)

I see there are a lot of you that swear by the Old Boy, but what about the PipeMaster? The flame is a full 90 degrees so maybe it would be a *little* bit better for pipes? They both look pretty damn swish.

Thoughts??
I'd go with the Peterson. They seem to do better with the snuffer arm as the OB reports to not close all the way after prolonged use.

PipeLighter

I have a zippo ($15 pipe version/ refurb) that I'd bet my pinky finger on. I have other butane lighters that give me a really hard time. Are the Peterson etc. lighters really that reliable? How often do you have to refill them with daily use?

Hereward":r9bnxbt3 said:
How often do you have to refill them with daily use?
This is what I'd like know. I'm also wondering about the fluid smell. I've been using my pipe Zippo and as you guys know, it never fails, but we're always looking for something else aren't we. The grass is always greener thing... A little vasolene around the insert body to act as a seal and I don't have to refill for a week. I read threads like this and it reminds me why I love the Zippo. :)

I love my Old Boy, but was disappointed in how long the initial flint lasted, but i got more flints and that made me happy.