Old House/New House

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PozzSka

Reaction score
My wife and I have had our house on the market since last April (2012).

We already own a lot near our work (we work together, even share an office), and we own it outright. We want to start building on it. We already have plans and a builder.

We don't want to carry two mortgages (really like 3 or 4 mortgages if you count daycare and all the extra curriculars the kids are in).

So, we've been waiting, and waiting, and this whole time we've been living in my late grandmother's old in-law suite. 2 adults, 2 kids, 2 dogs, a whole house worth of stuff in about 700sq ft (that's about 65sq meters for those using metric).

So, it's frustrating, and everytime my 3 year old says "when are going to get our new big house?" Or when our 5 year or says, "I want to have my own room, so I can be alone," I feel terrible and guilty.

Hopefully, in the next couple days, however, a property management company wil take our old house on as a rental/investment property and we can start building before winter. This would be awesome.

Just sharing my story, venting, looking for support, ya know, those things people need. My wife has been great throughout this process and even the kids have been terrific. But, we are surely ready to move on.

Well sir, Sounds like things are coming along for you. I was never able to afford a NEW house, specially built for me so I'd just be patient and things will happen as planned.
Although I do understand your lack of patience and I certainly would feel the same way. But, you've heard the old saying," Good things come to people whom wait".

Oh! and on another note, if he were my 5 year old I'd tell him to get a job if he wanted his "Privacy!"

All the wait and bother will certainly be worth it. We can all recollect how slowly time passes for young kids, well, at least I an remember. :lol: 
Sounds like a good plan you have and you will look back on the difficult days and laugh about them I'm sure when it's all over.
Good luck, enjoy the ride, if that's possible. When I was young I had to share a room with my 4 other brothers and there was no such thing as privacy!!! Everything worked out just fine. :lol: 

The change will be 180 degrees too, because the house plan has a bathroom for each kid (trying to avoid the morning fight over the shower/bathroom when they're in their teens)...so, it will be funny to see how they react...they'll probably end up sleeping together anyway, like we did as kids (me and 2 brothers), even though we had separate rooms.

When I was in high school my parents decided to finally build a house on some property we owned. We hired a general contractor but did as much work as we could ourselves. I remember it was a very stressful time. One particular morning I remember getting up at 5am and helping dad pour the concrete apron around the house. We finished just in time for me to get to second period. That Christmas after dinner with grandma we were all out at the house putting polyurethane on doors and trim.

My point is, building a house, even if you're not building it yourself, it can be a stressful time for a family, but can also provide a lot of opportunities to grow closer. So, during construction make sure you take some time to unwind. You and your family will need it. Of course the pay off is incredible when all is said and done.

I'm sure your new place will be just what you need. Best of luck with this adventure!