Old Ironsides

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illiteratti

Reaction score
Well, back to trying other tobaccos now since its damn near impossible to get a tin of Samuel Gawith anything, I came across a tin of Old Ironsides by DAN Tobacco. I had read that it was pretty heavy in latakia, so I went for it.

It comes as a flake, my tin had just the right amount of moisture, easily folded a flake into my pipe, and it lit right up, had absolutely no issues with having to relight my pipe. It burned cool, and was really the easiest smoking flake that I have smoked.

What really impresses me is the taste. Its an excellent tasting tobacco, of which I taste latakia and some virginia, and that's about it. It is supposed to have orientals but I did not taste any. The taste is remarkably similar to Commonwealth mixture.

Some tobaccos do have a tendency to dry out my mouth, to the point where I must have a drink while smoking, and this tobacco was no exception. That is the only complaint that I have for this tobacco.

Bottom line...great tobacco, great taste, easiest flake I have ever smoked, and one of the more reasonably priced tins out there. Yes, even when I am able to get my precious Sam Gawith tobaccos again, I will also be smoking Old Ironsides too.

Thanks for the review. This is another one that I have never tried. I used to like Midnight Ride, which I believed was made by Dan Tobacco.

Stogiegila":q6kwqymh said:
Thanks for the review. This is another one that I have never tried. I used to like Midnight Ride, which I believed was made by Dan Tobacco.
You are right, both "Old Ironsides" and "Midnight Ride" belong to series of 5 tobaccos DTM made for a american retailer.
The other 3 are: "Independence", "Liberty", "Patriot Flake".