Old Joe Krantz

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But it gets such awesome reviews! That really confuses me. It has gotten a bit better the longer I've let it sit.

Old Joe AND Big n Burley both improve with age..what i'm smoking now is near 3 years old..remember, burley hates a hot coal..smoe it shallow..sip it lightly. When you think the pipe is almost out your pace is just about right..

whitebriar":sadqgqik said:
Old Joe AND Big n Burley both improve with age..what i'm smoking now is near 3 years old..remember, burley hates a hot coal..smoe it shallow..sip it lightly. When you think the pipe is almost out your pace is just about right..
I understand this. My B&B and OJK sat in the jar for over a year. It made no difference. Slower pace, different pipes, etc. ... no joy.

There are other burley blends that rank high among my favorites. ABF, ODF, Stormfront, and Darkhorse are great smokes.

OJK, B&B, and I will simply have to agree to disagree.

Steveaux":727lsi8v said:
I understand this. My B&B and OJK sat in the jar for over a year. It made no difference. Slower pace, different pipes, etc. ... no joy.

There are other burley blends that rank high among my favorites. ABF, ODF, Stormfront, and Darkhorse are great smokes.

roger that :) :) 

Steveaux":pxalr1e3 said:
whitebriar":pxalr1e3 said:

Have you tried C&D's burley flakes? I remember a bowl or two I smoked of BF#4 being good, much better than B&B. I'm hoping it will mellow with time or I'll get used to it. If not, I'll trade it or blend it.

At last I've received this tobacco this morning. The smell when I opened the bag, was heavenly, sweet REAL tobacco aroma. Loaded a smallish Brebbia Rhodesian straight from the bag. Baccy is a tad moist, so I've got some open now to dry out a bit.

The taste is excellent, nice and strong, reminds me a bit of Irish Flake. No tongue bite so far, smokes cool enough for me.

I'm very happy with my purchase and will order some more soon  :cheers: 

SpeedyPete":7rx3es35 said:
At last I've received this tobacco this morning. The smell when I opened the bag, was heavenly, sweet REAL tobacco aroma. Loaded a smallish Brebbia Rhodesian straight from the bag. Baccy is a tad moist, so I've got some open now to dry out a bit.

The taste is excellent, nice and strong, reminds me a bit of Irish Flake. No tongue bite so far, smokes cool enough for me.

I'm very happy with my purchase and will order some more soon  :cheers: 
Glad to read this. You've inspired me to load up some right now.

I wonder if those who have a hard time with OJK but like burleys in general need to ADD moisture, not a lot, but some?

smoking a bowl of OJK right now

i like Storm Front, which is also made using off the shelf C&D tobacco, better. Tough to beat the smooth, nutty goodness of Storm Front.

I found OJK a tad strong for my liking

I bought 5 tins of BR Admiral's Cherry Flake a while back but my wife does not like the room note. Still had 4 unopened tins left

Traded 4 tins of BR for one tin of Davidoff Green Mixture......bland, no taste at all.

Mixed OJK and DGM 50/50

And now I need some more OJK and DGM  :cheers: :D :cheers: 

I LOVE TOBACCO !!!!

I do love OJK but even it can get to me after a few bowls during the day. Fortunately I just discovered C&D's Oriental Silk which is potent but not a kick in the head with similar taste eased by Izmir. And it is smoooooth...ah.
I think of it as the 'all day OJK'.

Fight'n Hampsters":vzokfdxq said:
DrumsAndBeer":vzokfdxq said:
Haunted Bookshop is as far as I go, even then Storm Front is 15,000 time better.
+1
+2

I love the lighter burley's (Storm Front and CH are my favs followed by a few old timey semi-aro burleys from shops like Peretti. Many of them really have so much flavor that I see no reason to move to something like OJK unless it's for the nic hit.

OJK is flavorful, and I do enjoy the perique, but I'd be more likely to lean towards 3 Friars, Exhausted Rooster, or if I'm feeling a semi-aero, Essence of Vermont for my BurPers.