Old Lat

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinM

Reaction score
Recently I've noticed more comments that Latakia more than five years old is beyond its aging x-date. Beg to differ. I currently have an open 2001 tin of Duhill Durbar that is just fine. I bought it myself and it has been stored for the last fourteen years in a box under my bed. When I opened the tin, I lightly rubbed out the contents and moved it to a Mason jar. The Durbar was dryish so I added a hydrating disc. I put the jar in my little tobacco closet and let it sit for ten days. I've since been smoking it out on the bench under my maple tree and couldn't be happier with it. This evening's bowl In a Pete Kenmare 999 was lovely and went right to the bottom on the charring match. Sure, five years or so may be a sufficient interval to gain whatever benefits are to be had by aging Lats. And I do not contend that pipers should gladly pay extravagant sums for ancient consignment tins. But I think these older tins can be revived with a bit of care and patience. I suspect much also depends on the even, cool temp of the environment in which the tins were aged.

No matter what, everything comes down to the quality of the tobacco in question. Well preserved, high quality tobacco tends to age well. One of the best mixtures I have ever put to a match is GLP Samarra from 2005. I opened the tin last year, and it had a good 8.5 years on it. It sparkled with flavor. Just when the latakia was mellowing out, the Virginias, perique and Orientals were hitting their stride. One of my favorite latakia mixtures and an example of one that ages well, way beyond 5 years..

The only person I've ever heard state that Latakia has an aging date after which it loses something instead of gaining something is Puffdaddy. But perhaps it is being stated on other boards? Or podcast? Or blogs?

Regardless I disagree 'old lat' taste fine to me, anyone that thinks it's not worth smoking can pm me and I'll shoot them my address. Lol

Only old tin of lat I've smoked was probably late 60's or very early 70's (pre bar codes). I don't remember what it was though. It was some off brand or private label I think. It certainly wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination. I wouldn't turn away an old tin because it had lat in it. I frequently smoke stuff from the 30's and 40's when I can find it. Never had any complaints about quality even of the old OTCs.

Jim

huffelpuff":uxri6tjn said:
Only old tin of lat I've smoked was probably late 60's or very early 70's (pre bar codes). I don't remember what it was though. It was some off brand or private label I think. It certainly wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination. I wouldn't turn away an old tin because it had lat in it. I frequently smoke stuff from the 30's and 40's when I can find it. Never had any complaints about quality even of the old OTCs.

Jim
30's and 40's?

Smoking history there.......