Old Meer repair

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDPipes

Mental Illness is a Terrible thing to Waste!
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I purchased this old Meerschaum Cavalier shaped like the globe.The mapping isn't well done mind you, more like a child did it but, the shape is done well so I sprung for it. The original stem had been replaced with a yellowish one that didn't match the eagle head plug and the threads inside the eagles head where wallered out. I finally got enough gumption up to complete it as best I could this side of recarving the eagles head being it's beak is chipped. Reckon that'll have to wait till I can maybe recast one (good luck with that). So anyway I hand cut a new stem from some matching acrylic, replaced the bone screw (cause it was cracked), repaired the threads in the plug with epoxy so it can be screwed on and off once more and, tried to dress the flush point between them because someone at some point had glued the plug on.:fpalm: Anyway, here's what it looks like now.
It did come with it's original case but, I didn't photo it.

BEFORE

AFTER

JustTroItIn":e7rb3ke1 said:
That is a very unique Meerschaum and a nicely done repair.
Thank you sir , takes some time and more patience then I have sometimes to hand cut a stem and make it right. This one's not perfect but, better then the yellow one. ;)

I like it. Great job on a very unique Meer; congrats Ron!

Thanks guys, I've had a couple of trying days lately with my lathe going down and other things not quite cooperating so I'm at least glad this went right.........although it's not like new BD, maybe like fair condition Estate though. ;)

Looks a right treat, Ron! Very interesting piece too. Love that little Eagles head, chipped beak and all.

Jim

huffelpuff":3rqmw56x said:
technical difficulties please ignore
Jim, Thank you and it's good to see I'm not the only one today having Technical Difficulties.

Damn Ron, now that's the way to do it my friend, your putting some of these so called pipe making carvers looking like amateurs with work like that.

That's the Spirit old Boy, keep up the good work............. :cheers:

allyby":umj91dlz said:
Damn Ron, now that's the way to do it my friend, your putting some of these so called pipe making carvers looking  like amateurs with work like that.

That's the Spirit old Boy, keep up the good work............. :cheers:
Well, I didn't do that good of a job on it my friend but, thank you so much for thinking so.

That really is an interesting piece Ron. And a repair that is top notch too. Ron's trade marks!

Stick":jhl16ts4 said:
That really is an interesting piece Ron. And a repair that is    top notch too. Ron's trade marks!
Thank you Stick, you too are too kind.

Ocelot55":hmsdn8xd said:
Ron, you find the coolest pipes....
Couldn't have said it better. From the pics I've seen of your figural pipe collection, I bet it's really something in person. Nice job on the Meer. I know who I'm coming to with repair questions!

Dottleman":klkx28jh said:
Ocelot55":klkx28jh said:
Ron, you find the coolest pipes....
Couldn't have said it better. From the pics I've seen of your figural pipe collection, I bet it's really something in person. Nice job on the Meer. I know who I'm coming to with repair questions!
Thank you sir, your very kind.

Ron, your skill really shines with this piece of work !! That is one very amazing piece of restoration you have done !! :)

monbla256":y3kcg97q said:
Ron, your skill really shines with this piece of work !! That is one very amazing piece of restoration you have done !! :)
Trust me when I say this, it's not perfect but, it'll do till I get back to it and do a little button work on it and just a bit more truing it up at the shank connection. As I've said before, I haven't the patience all the time to hand cut stems and I need to just suck it up and take my time more but, thank you just the same.