Old peterson smokes good

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumbernater

Reaction score
I got this old Pete awhile back from an estate sale. I had it put back for awhile as well. Today I desided to break her out and smoke her again. I had forgotten how good she smoked. Im smoking her as I type right now, and all I can say is wow. From what the seller told me was his wife bought it from a widow in london when they were there in the 70s. He had no idea when her husband died, or when he had bought it new so shes pretty old I guess. Shes a peterson kildare 699 I think. The last digit is hard to read.

IMG232.jpg

Talk about birdseye! Love that pete, she's a looker! Hope you continue to enjoy it for many years.

Being from the '70s that's some nice old, dense briar. I imagine it smokes well as it should !! You're a fortunate man!!

Thanks for your coments, I had her in a box on my desk for quit a while because I dont have enough racks for all my pipes. Got looking in the old box and refound the little charm. I think its older than the 70s. It was bought in the 70s as a estate pipe in england. I bought it a few years ago as a estste pipe.

I've been thinking of buying a Peterson, in fact I bought one of an ebay seller only to be informed later that the posting was a mistake and they didn't have the pipe I ordered in stock. But after reading about how they're a pain in the ass to break in, dye in the chamber, cheap vulcanite, and a bunch of other stuff, I'm a little wary.
If I'm gonna go with a middle of the road production pipe, which 90% of Petersons are, why not just go with a Savinelli, which from what I gather, have none of the aforementioned issues. In fact I have a Sav Tevere which came with an acrylic stem, no stain in the chamber, and smoked good from the get go for under $60.
They do have some shapes I really like the look of...the 80 shape being my favorite, but like I said, I'm just wary of some of the problems people have posted here.
Does someone have some Petes and Savs that they bought new and can compare their experiences with both of them...or not necesarily Savs but other mid line production pipes compared to Petes?

Oh and BTW....Penzance is awesome.